• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
damien

Misfire

damien

my 205 started misfiring out of the blue over the weekend, it was just a little spat and it had never done it before so i didnt take much notice of it.

now over the last few days its been happining more and the "spat" seems to be lasting longer as if to say the problem is getting worse.

it seems to do it when hot/cold and around 3.5k weather i put my foot down or i slowly climb up the revs.

the oil/engine temp seem fine, the coolent level/oil level seem fine and she starts/runs fine until i hit that rev range.

i service her every month (new oil/plugs) and she has just passed 172k.

anyone got any idea what it could be?, whatever it is its getting worse the more i drive the car.

thanks

Tom Fenton

Ignition amp or air flow meter.

damien

i would of thought the AFM would make it idle rubbish and run bad all the time?

where abouts is the ignition amp on the engine?

DamirGTI

As Tom said , could be ignition amp <_< (it's my favourite trouble maker ! when it comes to ignition system problems..) or dizzy signal cable breakdown , coil perhaps ... but check the usual ignition bits firs : plugs , leads , dizzy cap , rotor arm , coil tower for signs of rust , ignition amp connector ...

Rgs ! ;)

Damir

(the ignition amp. on the Ph1 Jetronic cars is mounted on the aluminum plate next to the coil on the LH front inner wing , near the battery ... on the Ph2 Motronic cars it's also on the little alu. plate which is bolted on the RH inner wing near the timing belt..)

damien

thats for that, was a intresting read.

will sorce a bosch one from my local ECP and let you know how i get on

Vz_ace
my 205 started misfiring out of the blue over the weekend, it was just a little spat and it had never done it before so i didnt take much notice of it.

now over the last few days its been happining more and the "spat" seems to be lasting longer as if to say the problem is getting worse.

it seems to do it when hot/cold and around 3.5k weather i put my foot down or i slowly climb up the revs.

the oil/engine temp seem fine, the coolent level/oil level seem fine and she starts/runs fine until i hit that rev range.

i service her every month (new oil/plugs) and she has just passed 172k.

anyone got any idea what it could be?, whatever it is its getting worse the more i drive the car.

thanks

my Mi16 has had similar symptoms, then i replaced distributor cap, ring and ignition leads withn new ones, and problems have gone.

in the second case- the AFM has been slightly (-the hose) disconnected (accidentally) from THB.

i hope, it will help in some way;)

regards Vladimir, Slovenia

1 FAT PUG

could be lambda sensor on exhaust as i think thats whats gone on mine, mine was spluttering and then getting a bit worse and tonight it just cut out alltogether and refused to start, disconnected it and it started up for a couple of seconds was running but well lumpy

SeanO'Connor

We have had lots of rain lately, could be dodgy leads, start it up at night and look for arcing from the HT lead either to the engine or each other. older cars do not like damp driving conditions.

damien

quick question, went to my local ECP for a bosch ignition amp today and the chap said there is 2 different types listed, a 7 and a 7 pin. which one do i need?

thanks

DamirGTI

Did you mean 6 and 7 pin ? either one will do , they will both work as long as they're MTR 01 type :ph34r:

Just make sure that you don't buy some crap brand , like Intermotor :rolleyes: the Bosch ones are the best ..

Rgs ! B)

Damir

This is Bosch part No. for 205 GTi amp , it'll be stamped on the front side : 0 227 100 123

However this ones should also work , as replacement item if you can't source 123 one :

0 227 100 102

0 227 100 110

0 227 100 111

0 227 100 112

0 227 100 148

1 227 010 002

1 227 010 008

Edited by DamirGTI

damien

sorry he said 5 or 7 pin, he said that he would have to order it in so i would have to pay up front.

i'll take them part numbers with me, thanks :rolleyes:

DamirGTI

Ok. then the 7pin type (or the 6pin one ..) , the difference in between the 6 and 7pin amp is cos 7pin type haves RMP out signal (and that one is the last pin No.7) which isn't needed for 205 1.6/1.9 engine managements (i have Jetronic and Motronic car and they both work on 6 or 7pin type ignition amps..) .. on the wiring side they all have 7pin amp connector but this pin No.7 is blanked - without wire/terminal

MTR 01 type amps are intended for "pick up" ignition systems

MTR 02 ones are for "hall sensor" ignition systems

Damir :blush:

damien

little bit of a update, got the bosch one on saturday so i set on replacing it.

11092008003mediumfo3.th.jpgthpix.gif

apon removing the old one i noticed the wiring seemed alittle worse for wear so i started stripping it back

20092008006mediumkj9.th.jpgthpix.gif

i ended up finding a break in the wiring so ive ended up replacing the wiring which ended up taking me all day

20092008007mediumen5.th.jpgthpix.gif

on the bright side once i put her back together i took her for a drive down the road and she is running fine now no more missfire but im unsure if it was down to the wiring or the amp.

Edited by damien

GLPoomobile

Now stick the old amp back in and see if it is OK. Then you'll have 2 working amps, so one can be a useful spare for the future.

DamirGTI

That one is just a shielding wire , it shouldn't have anything to do with this misfiring problems :unsure: .. the red and the green one on the 3pin connector are important (one is neg. and other is pos. signal from the dizzy pick up coil ..)

Make sure that you use thermal transfer paste/jelly when ever you disturb the ignition amp. - heat sink paste/jelly must be re-applied at the back of the amp surface cos it'll start to overheat and in the end can burn out ... so you could end up with the same problem again !!

Rgs ! :(

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

damien

it came with a little satch of jellyso i used the lot on the back of the amp :)

DamirGTI

Nice one ! you've done a good job then :)

Rgs :blush:

Damir

wardy18

im so glad i searched and found this info as im about to re wire and tidy up my ignition amps wiring and fit a new amp, never new you needed heatsink paste, lucky i have a whole tube from a PC re build, gonna check the part numbers too

great bit of resource

wardy18

just looked at the one i bought off ebay before i knew about any of this info and it has no manufacturer make or numbers at all, just numbers 1 - 7 relating to the pins

come in a see threw bag with:

Peugeot

Electronic

Ignition Module

Any ideas?!

Simon

Sign in to follow this