• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
munster

Painting Wheels - Checklist Advice

munster

I did a search, but didn't yield any definitive results. Although i know there is a great thread here somewhere about painting your wheels...

So Im getting my Speedlines shotblasted on the weekend and plan to paint them myself. Can someone confirm or correct my plan of action..

1 - Wheels shotblasted and wiped down

2- Apply Halfords High build primar. (is one coat enough?)

3- Wet and dry the primar

4- Apply paint (Can i get the original Speedline silver from Halfords? And how many coats of paint?)

5- Apply laquer

6- Admire my wheels.

I have never done this before, so please save me from any potential cock ups.

Im hoping i can get all i need from one trip to Halfords :lol:

welshpug

Find an autopaints supplier, they will be able to mix you some paint to match the original colour, Peugeot's code for them is EVE.

also likely to be cheaper :lol:

205wrc

Personally I would Etch prime them first with something like UPOL Acid-8, as it gives a better adhesion to the bare alloy. You can get it in Halfords (red aerosol tin with a silver top) A bit pricey at £9.99 a tin but its sh#t hot primer.

20080322image0224fq3.jpg

Rub the primer down with wet and dry.

Then spray them with your high build primer to fill in the imperfections - UPOL High-5, again from Halfords @ £9.99 a tin (blue one this time with a silver top)

Then rub the high build primer down using wet and dry before spraying with the colour.

Before spraying the laquer on I usually roughen the paint slightly using a grey Scotchbrite pad just to get the shine off the paint and to give the laquer something to bite to.

Thats the method I use when I went from this.................

20080322image0211rx1.jpg

To this........ :) (6"x14" Group A Revoultion RFX)

20080322image0230nk9.jpg

Edited by 205wrc

djinuk

i wouldnt get them shot blasted, i would sctoch the whole wheel, eth prime any bare alloy showing, then high build the full wheels, flat it down, then give the whole wheel 3 dry coats of spray , whilst keeping the wheel warm, then apply a wet coat, again keeping the wheel warm, then once that is tacky laquer them.

orangewheel2.jpg

205Alfie33.jpg

thats how i did both them sets ,

the paint spraying technique is just my prefered method so dont worry to much about that

munster

Thanks for the advice guys.

Djinuk- why do you advise against getting them shotblasted? The wheels are a pretty bad state and couldn't do it by hand. Besides, the shotblasting should be free <_<

You say laquer them whilst still tacky.. will it still be ok if left to dry..?

205wrc - Thanks. How many wheels can i do from a can of UPOL and High -5 do you think? And will one coat of paint be enough? Also, can you recomend a laquer? Appreciate your advice, as those wheels of yours look very nice.

Edited by munster

205wrc

I normally get at least six, maybe as many as ten wheels primed from a can of Acid-8 etch primer as you only really need one or two coats to bond to the bare alloy.

Primed with two coats of Acid-8

20080322image0226zp1.jpg

As for the High-5 High build primer, you should get at least a set of five done, but that depends on the pitting of the alloy, and the smoothness of the finish that you personally need.

Top coat - as my wheels are going on the rally car, I use Halfords Appliance Gloss White - the same colour as your cooker, fridge, freezer etc. I find that this gives a better coverage in less coats than any other white paint that I've used and is a very "clean" shade of white if you know what I mean. The High-5 primer is a cream colour so I usually give each wheel five or six coats of coloured paint to get a good coverage. A large can of Appliance Gloss White normally does five wheels. If you're painting yours silver, then maybe they will cover the primer in less coats.

20080322image0228mm3.jpg

Laquer - You really can't go far wrong with Halfords own brand. I normally give my wheels four or five coats to a warm wheel. I usually paint them next to a portable oil filled heater, spraying the next coat on before the first one's dry

I shotblasted mine as they had about four different layers of paint on them - primer, dark grey, blue any yellow. Didn't do them any harm. I blast every wheel before painting them as it gives the paint a better surface to grip to.

20080322image0216lg3.jpg

20080322image0219vn5.jpg

djinuk

if the shot blasting is free then yea go for it, ive just always got away with scotch pad and high build, as for the laquer , yea you can put it onto a dry wheel, wont cause any major problems, as for coverage , when i did my speedlines in white it wook me 4 cans of white halfords paint (smalll cans) if thats of any use <_< best of luck

platty

My 10 pence worth......Find an auto paint supplier and get a couple of cans of 2k Laquer(aka 2 pack). Its not cheap £10ish a small tin, but it is MUCH tougher than your normal off the shelf gear you'll find at Halfords.

You get a limited time to use it as you have to pull a pin in the base of the tin to release the activator, but like I said, its far superior to Acrylic.

munster

Well as usual, things didn't quite go to plan. The shotblasting did nothing. Not a thing. It appears they only use a very fine grit... which is no good for the wheels... anyway, i am now doing as Djinuk suggested - Scotch the wheels and then use High 5 primar.

I have gone for Simonz Clear Laquer instead of Halfords own brand, as it appers to be specifically for wheels unlike Halfords so might be a bit tougher.

Now im trying to decide on the paint. In the link cybernck posted above, the guy uses 'Simonz 5 wheel silver' and they look really good. A bloke at my work reckons it is really good stuff also...

Has anyone here used it? And does it look any good in person?

I noticed halfords had various Peugeot silver paints, would i be better off going for one of those? And they seem to have their own paint codes, so how can i find the correct one for the wheels?

thanks

djinuk

i dont think you will really go far wrong so long as its silver, Think you would be very hard pushed to sell a peugeot silver wheel paint from any other.

munster

Bit of an update. The wheels are done, and fitted with Toyo Proxes :)

Im quite happy with the wheels. Ideally i would have got them shotblasted and used more primer, but time was short (current tyres almost illeagel) and i needed to get them done and fitted with tyres asap.

They have had - 2 coats of primar, about 6 coats of 5 wheel silver ( i had two cans ) and 4 coats of laquer.

Some pitting is visible around the rim, but for £25 worth of paint etc, im quite happy.

Old wheels rubbed down with scotch pad

oldwheel.jpg

Primed

primedup.jpg

Finish wheels

finishedwheel.jpg

finishedwheels.jpg

LGIM0007.jpg

LGIM0006.jpg

Alfie

Just done my wheels :) I used the Simoniz cans and I must admit, they look proper. I didn't take the tyres off tho' just deflated 'em and had the front beads broke so I could put a mask cut out of thin ply behind the rim. Just had them inflated and balanced, tis saved time,money and didn't have to worry about someone damaging the new "edge" on the rim. Maked up the rear with masking tape, job done!

How long does it take if I were to do one wheel at a time - start to finish - with drying time etc?

1 FAT PUG

i left mine a couple of days to harden off properly before i got tyres put on

Guest jij205

@ 205wrc....I'm sorry to be a pain but on one of your post you said the halfords own brand lauquer was "good enough"...I dis-agree with that becuase halford paint have cellouse in them so with there lauquer it will be hard to get a good finish..

Guest jij205

@ 205wrc....I'm sorry to be a pain but on one of your post you said the halfords own brand lauquer was "good enough"...I dis-agree with that becuase halford paint have cellouse in them so with there lauquer it will be hard to get a good finish..

205wrc

Yeh you could be right about the laquer, but as my wheels only go on my rally car I'm not really bothered, as all I need is a clean durable finish, cause they have a pretty hard time!!!!

Before :lol:

20060329image01309hs.jpg

During :blush:

img022db9.jpg

Photo by Brian Gilbert Photosport

After :lol:

20060329image01327nj.jpg

Alfie

My last observations on this subject if it helps. The Simonize paint I used is really good, really smooth finish, but, It doesn't match the "silver" of the original Peugeot colour. It takes on more of a steel or duller silver. I only mention this for guidance sake. If its important , try a different paint. :rolleyes:

munster

Funny you say that, as i noticed exactly that yesterday. When stood next to standard Speedlines you can see the Simonize silver is much darker than standard. Still looks good though, maybe better even.

CaptainP

I've also gone down the Simonize route and have thought the same, bit dark. I've heard of a Ford paint used to get the original colour effect, moonstone silver or something similar.....

Funny you say that, as i noticed exactly that yesterday. When stood next to standard Speedlines you can see the Simonize silver is much darker than standard. Still looks good though, maybe better even.

Sign in to follow this