• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Reinforced Pedal Box And Mi16- Do They Or Don't They!

philfingers

As I've stripped the car to do the bulkhead mods to take the std Mi16 Manifold I'm thinking of reinforcing the pedal box. I have the proper plate from AB Motorsport.

BUT.. . . . .i'm staying with the std servo at the moment. As this plate will push the servo into the engine bay by the thikcness of the plate will it fit? I know the Mi16 in the correct position can foul the master cylinder.

Is there a way around this?

I idea of doing this now was so that it's was ready in case i ever go to a bias box.

Phil

jackherer

Ahhhhh, suddenly I realise why my mates m/c is so close when fitted to the shell he bought off you Phil :lol: I had to trim the cambelt cover like people do with GTI6s!

His is an S16 (its 10mm higher than an Mi16 1.9) with a 406 MC and res so you might be alright, even with no mods to the pedal box mount the clearance varies from car to car.

philfingers

I was wondering whether I could fit it on the inside instead? not sure if thats possible. Thought the dash is all out now, just loom, heater box and sound insulation to get off.

So a 406 m/c is the one to go for. Any one particularly? It's std brakes front and back (1900)

jackherer

The 406 res is a worse fit if anything, he just has that to restore pedal travel with four pots.

Someone on here modified the plate the pedal box bolts to in order to reangle it, he basically cut three out of four sides, bent it upwards a few degrees then welded plates into the gaps.

James Stewart
I was wondering whether I could fit it on the inside instead? not sure if thats possible.

No reason why not Phil, it's just a plate with holes in. The holes are in the same place which ever side of the bulkhead you are on and the captive bolts on the pedal box are the same length regardless! :lol:

philfingers

I had a quick look at it last night and it's probably possibly to fit on the inside. There's a support bracket which might make difficult access for the torch but it may work.

The bulkhead mods. The photo's on the DES site look the best and neatest way of doing this. there's loads of space, even keeping heater box (even may get a RWD tunnel in there!) so I'm going to chop a fair bit out and fabricate something. Photo's to follow,

Phil

philfingers

better late than never, here are the pics of the plate on the inside of the bulkhead. Easy enough. Pics of the modified tunnel too with the std heat shield to fit with std Mi16 manifold

IMG_8979.jpg

IMG_8980.jpg

IMG_8986.jpg

IMG_8987.jpg

IMG_9011.jpg

IMG_9012.jpg

IMG_9015.jpg

IMG_9017.jpg

Std heater box fits in too

Just got to remember how the loom all goes together with regard to the dash

Phil

Spiky