• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mogsman

Cv Boot Changed

mogsman

Hi all, just had my near side cv boot changed at National Tyres. The problem now is the gear stick shakes violently when driving and sometimes hear a small click when taking up drive. I went straight back to them and told me that it was nothing to do with them and blamed the gear rods that I got from Miles. They said that there is too much play in the rods and that they should be adjusted and that they are not gearbox or engine experts. Now I'm confused as I have never seen the stick wobble in 7 years. Any ideas?

Ian

steve@cornwall
Hi all, just had my near side cv boot changed at National Tyres. The problem now is the gear stick shakes violently when driving and sometimes hear a small click when taking up drive. I went straight back to them and told me that it was nothing to do with them and blamed the gear rods that I got from Miles. They said that there is too much play in the rods and that they should be adjusted and that they are not gearbox or engine experts. Now I'm confused as I have never seen the stick wobble in 7 years. Any ideas?

Ian

They've dropped some needle rollers from the inboard joint. Probably split the shaft there rather than get involved with changing gear oil in a 205. Have they charged you for gearbox oil?

mogsman

They told me that they only removed the bolt that holds on the wishbone and didn't disturb anything else.

Ian

mogsman

Just phoned them to ask how they replaced the boot. Apparently they cut the old on off and using a cone fitted the new one. The manager assures me that they don't disturb the shaft at all. This is now becoming confusing.

Ian

steve@cornwall
Just phoned them to ask how they replaced the boot. Apparently they cut the old on off and using a cone fitted the new one. The manager assures me that they don't disturb the shaft at all. This is now becoming confusing.

Ian

Well, one end of the shaft had to come off! :):(:lol: Was it the inboard or outboard boot? Also, if they have admitted removing the wishbone bolt, have they used a new one when re-assembling? Is this on a 1.6 or 1.9 shaft?

mogsman

Its the out board boot on a 1.6gti passenger side. They told me that no part of the shaft came out as they use a cone to replace boots.

Ian

steve@cornwall
Its the out board boot on a 1.6gti passenger side. They told me that no part of the shaft came out as they use a cone to replace boots.

Ian

1.6 shaft will make it easier to see what's gone on :) I assume then that what they are telling you is that they've separated the hub and shaft and fitted the new boot (by cone) over the outer CV. If you drop the front wheel off it should be evident wether or not the staked hub nut has been removed -again, should be replaced with a new on as with the pinch bolt (no excuses for a garage not to IMO) . If this nut has not been removed, the naughty fitter has done as I put above.

(edit- I do mine the "naughty" way because I don't like Hub nuts and gearbox filling. I've dropped enough roller bearings and spent HOURS carefully putting them back in place to have developed a method to retain them ! IIRC there are 99 roller bearings per shaft)

Edited by steve@cornwall

mogsman

Spoke to local Pug workshop who think it could be outer cv joint. Local National are not interested, but head office are who now have my complaint. They didn't use a new hub nut or pinch bolt nut as they "didn't need to".

Ian

Tom Fenton

In my experience the gear lever shaking symptom is usually caused by the inner cv joint, this would tie up with the monkeys pulling the shaft to pieces. The bit where they say that they did not disturb the shaft at all is utter rubbish, they HAVE to disturb at least one end to get a boot on. It sounds to me like they have left the outer cv attached to the hub and taken the inner end apart, they would still need to split the lower pinch bolt to do this.

If I were you I would not rest until they have paid for a complete recon shaft to be fitted to your car, by another REPUTABLE garage.

steve@cornwall
In my experience the gear lever shaking symptom is usually caused by the inner cv joint, this would tie up with the monkeys pulling the shaft to pieces. The bit where they say that they did not disturb the shaft at all is utter rubbish, they HAVE to disturb at least one end to get a boot on. It sounds to me like they have left the outer cv attached to the hub and taken the inner end apart, they would still need to split the lower pinch bolt to do this.

If I were you I would not rest until they have paid for a complete recon shaft to be fitted to your car, by another REPUTABLE garage.

Absolutely, Give your local consumer direct a call to get the right approach to your complaint. All phonecalls should be followed up with a recorded mail letter of the same. I think dealing with head office now is def. the right way to go! Good Luck

mogsman

Had a call from the area manager who agreed that something is wrong. Going back tomorrow to get (hopefully) fixed. I hope he tells them how to fix it, seems very knowledgeable, a whole lot more than those monkeys. He also mentioned changing driveshafts is easy, will find out tomorrow.

Ian

Tom Fenton

If I were you I'd insist on staying there whilst they do it and watching what is done. The only acceptable fix now is another replacement driveshaft, accept nothing less.

PS

When they change the shaft they should also replace the gearbox oil, make sure they use the proper grade for Peugeots and not the commonly available 80/90 grade.

Edited by Tom Fenton

mogsman

Just what I was thinking, only hope my daughter wants to watch too, her attention span is not great being nearly two.

Ian

mogsman

Went back to National who still insist that its not their fault. They were not very polite and then spoke to the area manager who agrees with them but told me to get it looked at elsewhere. Came back from Pug dealer who said they would replace the drive shaft for £240, which is now in the hands of their area manager. So much for getting a cv boot replaced!!!

Ian

jimistdt

Tell the garage you will be lodging a complaint with VOSA. Tw@ts.

mogsman

National are fitting a new driveshaft on Friday which is a result at their cost. Not going to take any more grief from them either get enough from the cons at work each day.

Ian

evojay71

This is why I do all my own work on my cars,I know not eveyone is lucky enough to have the tools and a garage at their disposal but I've saved countless thousands of pounds over the years. Glad to hear they've agreed to sort it out,but not as quick as they were takin your money though :D:)

Edited by evojay71

Pugnut
I've dropped enough roller bearings and spent HOURS carefully putting them back in place to have developed a method to retain them ! IIRC there are 99 roller bearings per shaft)

:D i'm with you there! i carefully pull the shaft apart being careful not to drop a bearing and clean the grease off a bit. then wrap gaffer tape round the whole 3 bearings until theres no chance of loosing one. then your free to knock the bearings off the splined shaft

steve@cornwall
:lol: i'm with you there! i carefully pull the shaft apart being careful not to drop a bearing and clean the grease off a bit. then wrap gaffer tape round the whole 3 bearings until theres no chance of loosing one. then your free to knock the bearings off the splined shaft

Brown parcel tape! :lol: :lol:

Veero

FYI you can change a CV boot without dismantling the shaft.

I've done it a few times on various cars. You just need a special stretchy boot and a cone thingy.

Fitting is detailed here.

First time I did it I thought that cone is NOT going through that small hole. With enough lube, sure enough it does. :lol:

Glad you didn't take any s*it from these guys, far too often people get taken for a ride and don't do anything about it, good on you for getting it sorted.

mogsman

I should invest in a cone for next time. I'm used to getting grief all day in work, so I think I took it quite well. I can see how some people can feel threatened in similar circumstances, especially when they insist its nothing to do with them. I'll probably be in uniform when they fix it Friday so I can get straight to work, then they will know not to give me any s*it.

Ian

steve@cornwall
FYI you can change a CV boot without dismantling the shaft.

I've done it a few times on various cars. You just need a special stretchy boot and a cone thingy.

Fitting is detailed here.

First time I did it I thought that cone is NOT going through that small hole. With enough lube, sure enough it does. :lol:

Glad you didn't take any s*it from these guys, far too often people get taken for a ride and don't do anything about it, good on you for getting it sorted.

But not without freeing at least one end of the driveshaft as the manager seems to suggest

"They told me that they only removed the bolt that holds on the wishbone and didn't disturb anything else.

Ian"

Rupertfinch
With enough lube, sure enough it does.

This is a lot like life! :lol::(

Veero
This is a lot like life! B):(

Haha it only took about 4 hours for someone to say that :lol:

Steve, good point, somehow I read "freeing one end of the shaft" as taking it to bits and losing bearings all over the floor... :(

mogsman

Had a new drive shaft fitted and the car is back to normal once again. They wouldn't let me watch so I had to try and look from the waiting area. They even went to get the correct oil for the gearbox.

Ian

Sign in to follow this