• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bales

Quick Question R.e Removal Of G/box

jonnie205

always life them in by myself on floor, lifting the box up from top seems harder plus it needs 2 of you then, i also find jacks just get in the way

carbers205

Well, doesnt matter if its from above or below, still cant get the bloody input shaft to mate with the engine! :)

d-9

Did you make sure the clutch is centered on the flywheel? Best way is with a clutch centering tool, otherwise a short 1/2" extension will do the trick. If youre sure its centered, lift the box up so its resting in the flywheel, then put one hand on the bottom of the diff housing and one hand on the front of the box, lift it a bit and rock it back and forth until it slides on. Its a bit of a bastard, i had to stop, have a cup of tea then try again when i did mine yesterday.

jackherer
i had to stop, have a cup of tea then try again when i did mine yesterday.

That rest stop is critical, it always seems like it wont possibly go back on, but give it five minutes and have another go and it pops straight on like there was never a problem.

carbers205

I hadnt taken the clutch off, just a straight box swap.

I know its just a case of getting the splines to match up, done quite a bit of rocking this morning and am currently on my rest stop! I know from putting engine and box together on the ground before that its just about getting the critical angle for them to slide together. Round 2 coming up....

Pugnut

the other week i left the whole clutch assembly slack , so that the friction plate could still move around reasonably easily. once the box/engine was bolted together i just used a long extension (3/8ths) and 13mm socket to tighten the clutch. you can get in from the inspection cover on the bell housing quite easily. just rotated the flywheel round till each bolt was in the right place. once each bolt was tightened i marked it on the back of the flywheel with paint . peice of piss, no worries about alignment whatsoever.

Sign in to follow this