• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bales

Quick Question R.e Removal Of G/box

bales

As topic suggests I just need to know whether you can remove the gearbox without having to take the engine out, it is xu10 engined but with a standard 1.9 g/box so don't think it is massively different.

Thanks in advance

Aex

jonnie205

yep can be done easily, thats exactly how a new clucth is fitted

bales

Cheers for that! I'll get back in the garage then!

Rom

The back mount has to be undone, so the engine can drop to allow to box to be removed. But pretty straight forward stuff.

pug_ham

This guide applies to any engine fitted in a 205 (possibly excluding the V6 obviously) but any XU5/7/9/10 engine should be the same because they all fit to the engine the same way using the standard mounts.

Graham.

jonnie205

i have never removed the bottom mount on any i have done but ok there are many ways of doing it

Tom Fenton
The back mount has to be undone, so the engine can drop to allow to box to be removed. But pretty straight forward stuff.

Not strictly needed, but each to their own. I certainly have never needed to do this anyway.

Alan_M

Removing the battery tray would negate the need to undo the bottom mount, or you could remove the stud itself from the gearbox. Not tried this though.....

Got this to do on my red 205, and the hardest bastard bit is re-aligning the input shaft through the new clutch on the engine whilst juggling the entire 'box in your hands so it doesn't fall and flatten your face :P

pug_ham
Removing the battery tray would negate the need to undo the bottom mount, or you could remove the stud itself from the gearbox. Not tried this though.....

I have, I always remove the stud from the gearbox now.

Makes it easier bexcause you don't have to lower it as far to get it all clear of the battery tray etc imo.:)

Graham.

Cameron
yep can be done easily, thats exactly how a new clucth is fitted

I wouldn't say it was easy.. especially if you're tackling it by yourself! :) As someone else has said lifting the box back on to the input shaft can be a reet bastard!

Spiky

yeah, i leave my gti6 in place,

as pugtorque, take the bolt out the gearbox for the mount and it slides out easy :)

brianthemagical

Doing this at the mo, couldn't get it in so wipped the box off assuming it was the clutch misaligned, stripped down a spare box to use the input shaft and found there's masses of possibly mis alignment brfore problems occur. Not sure how it's going to manage to fit ow though. Oh well.

taylorspug

Just to add ive only had to take the bottom mount off once, and that was with a set of Stews solid mounts fitted. Most of the time just removing the gearbox stud will suffice.

kate205gti

i usually put the gearbox on a crane to get it back in - but thats coz i cant bench-press gearboxes :lol:

BusEngineer

Did this a while back at work on lifts so had box at shoulder height, 3 of us spent 2hrs trying to allign it even with bottom mount off!! Took the gearbox mounting stud off and it flew in . . . . I know which way ill be doing it next time :lol:

Pob
Did this a while back at work on lifts so had box at shoulder height, 3 of us spent 2hrs trying to allign it even with bottom mount off!! Took the gearbox mounting stud off and it flew in . . . . I know which way ill be doing it next time :lol:

Ive done a few gearbox changes and clutch replacements, I didn't remove the mounting stud... next time I think I will if it reduces the hassle. I found the easiest way for me was to jack the gearbox nearly into position, so its resting on the sub frame and against the engine block and lift it in from the top. Sometimes it can be really straight forward with no problems, other times it's a nightmare... might be that stud causing me the hassle.

Dan

Richie-Van-GTi

I leave the stud on and remove the speedo drive housing so the box rotates easily. Never had any real hassles. If your getting caught out with clutch alignment you need to read a few threads on clutch lining tools or stop letting the box 'rest' on the pressure plate half way in as that pulls it out of line quite easily ^_^

I dont understand why people bench press the box in, so much easy to lean over the wing and pull it up, or balance on a jack to keep it at height while you manouvre into position.

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

SeanO'Connor
I leave the stud on and remove the speedo drive housing so the box rotates easily. Never had any real hassles. If your getting caught out with clutch alignment you need to read a few threads on clutch lining tools or stop letting the box 'rest' on the pressure plate half way in as that pulls it out of line quite easily ^_^

I dont understand why people bench press the box in, so much easy to lean over the wing and pull it up, or balance on a jack to keep it at height while you manouvre into position.

Same way car on axle stands and slide box under, then simply lift into place,by leaning over the wing. Once it's located(easy with the clutch aligned using an alignment tool) then tighten away your bolts.

carbers205

Is it essential to remove both driveshafts or will the passenger one suffice?

carbers205

Ignore me Ive sorted it

Jrod

Because we can. :D

pug_ham
Is it essential to remove both driveshafts or will the passenger one suffice?

Its not essential to remove both but the passenger is a necessity although tbh I've done one or two on other people's car where they left the drivers shaft in & just pulled the hub out of the way & that made it twice as difficult to get the box back on, especially when working alone becaue the end of the shaft always seemed to hit the box & hold it off.

Far easier imo to remove them both.

Graham.

HERMAN

Also make sure that both of the location dowels are fitted to the engine block. When I got my car somebody had fitted the gearbox with only one dowel and this caused the starter motor to be out of line and make alsorts of noises. It did not help that the bolts wre not very tight either.

d-9

Because we're stupid? my arms hurt!

Baz

Because it doesn't f*** your back up??

Sign in to follow this