• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mercury

Fan Inside Wont Stop - Its Just Constantly On High.

mercury

(car is a 1988 205 gti.)

So i was dirving in the rain today with a foggy windscreen trying all the little knobs and switches in hopes to turn something on that will defog the windsceen. I gave up while driving but something must of given it back some life because all of a sudden it roared to life again and started blowing nice strong air from the fan. Something must of been knocked i dunno?

I turned on the a/c yep it was working. SCORE!

turned on the heater yep it was also working. ANOTHER SCORE!

so i reached my destination. Methinks its time to turn off this beautiful gizmo of a fan. But alas NOTHING. i try to put the little series 1 toggle all the way down in hopes to turn it off, but NOPE, still on full blast. Ok now i try some other switches... the button with a snowflake symbol on it (which i suspect is the a/c), another button with a lamp symbol which i suspect is the foglights but nothing... I even tried the back windscreen heater button but fan is still on full blast.

Anyways i was driving again, i must of done something i dunno but it turned off again. So im like wtf?

The windscreen started fogging again so i put the lever thing on ful blast, and sure enough the fan turned on eventually, FULL BLAST.

but now it wont turn off.

Any ideas? lol

Could it just be a fuse or some wire i need to dismantel?

Anyone have a similar experience?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is the only thing that is left to make the car totally AWESOME.

Because the clutch is fixed, no eletrical ignition problems anymore, starts first time every time! And if this fan gets fixed i will have AIRCON just in time for the Australian SUMMER! woo hoo.

Cheers,

Merc :(

Edited by mercury

Super Josh

The usual problem when the fan will only work on full speed is the fan speed control module.

It's a little black module (about 50mm x 20mm) and it's held into the bottom of the heater box, at the bottom of the dash behind the centre console, with a couple of screws. It has a cable plugged into it.

A new one should fix it. Another Pug of a similar vintage should have one or try UK Ebay and get someone to ship one over.

Josh

mercury
The usual problem when the fan will only work on full speed is the fan speed control module.

It's a little black module (about 50mm x 20mm) and it's held into the bottom of the heater box, at the bottom of the dash behind the centre console, with a couple of screws. It has a cable plugged into it.

A new one should fix it. Another Pug of a similar vintage should have one or try UK Ebay and get someone to ship one over.

Josh

my problem is also it wont turn off, not just the fact that its constantly on high. Would replacing that module fix this problem also?

Merc

Cameron

Probably.. When mine was nackered I just unplugged the fan. Then when I needed it would quickly lean over and plug it in. :( I got quite good at it in the end!

Super Josh
my problem is also it wont turn off, not just the fact that its constantly on high. Would replacing that module fix this problem also?

Merc

When you say it won't turn off, do you mean it stays on full speed or it just spins round very slowly when switched off? If it's the latter, then all phase 1s do this.

Josh

mercury
When you say it won't turn off, do you mean it stays on full speed or it just spins round very slowly when switched off? If it's the latter, then all phase 1s do this.

Josh

yeh its on full blast. It just wont turn off.

Merc

mercury

btw is it called "heater blower" or fan? because the fan can also be turned on for the aircon right? So its really a fan that circulates the heater or the aircon...

am i right? or is it really just called heater blower?

Cheers,

merc.

P.S i still cant turn the thing off lol. Im goign to try and dismantel the dash and take pics. Maybe theres a wire u guys can see that i should investigate and/or replace. So you say its right in the middle of the console?

KRISKARRERA

Nah tis only on newer Pugs that the heater fan changes speed on aircon cars.

mercury

actually mine has a knob that adjusts the speed...

KRISKARRERA

Errrrr doesn't everyones whether it be aircon or not?! :P

mercury

lol i think i misunderstood that whole response.

Anyways a little update:

I took out the fuse that has that lil fan symbol on it and the fan stopped working which is awesome. Because in the mean time i can just take it out until i can find a way to turn it off.

Now if the fan stops working without the fuse, i suspect its the actual knob that is broken that controls the fan. The question is, how does it actually control the fan speed? Anyone encounter this switch before while dismanteling the dash on the s1 205 gti? Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Cheers,

Merc

Thanks guys.

Cheers,

Merc

Edited by mercury

mercury

another update: removing that fuse was a bad idea as a few things wouldnt work.

1. turn signal

2. fuel guauge

so i put it back in again.

Anyways while driving today she turned off again lol

hm weird. Now i cant turn it on. :)

edit: now its turning on and off randomly... lol

I'd turn the car off after the fan will stop working all of a sudden, then come back 30 mins later and turn it back on and the fan will be on. Then in the middle of driving it will just turn off.

ghost car!

Edited by mercury

gti_al

It needs a new resistor. They are $130 from pug, but i think i have some spare if you want a cheap fix

Sign in to follow this