• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jackherer

306 Hubs

jackherer

I've just replaced some ovalled hubs with some I got from a 306 DT. They have lost quite a lot of negative camber, as expected, even with 309 wishbones the wheels now look pretty much vertical. I will be able to dial this out with some eccentric top mounts so that doesn't bother me. However the tracking is now miles out, the wheels are toeing out a lot, its obvious to the naked eye. This must mean the steering arms on these hubs are positioned differently, closer to the wheel, which will mean the track rod ends need to be wound out to compensate. I'm wondering if this will affect bumpsteer and ackermann angles, I'm beginning to wonder if this was a good idea :blush:

welshpug

it would make sense that they are different, the 306 is a fair bit wider and longer than a 205.

jackherer
it would make sense that they are different, the 306 is a fair bit wider and longer than a 205.

Yes but the same could be said about the 309 and they use the same hubs.

The steering rack mounts in the same place on all three (205/309/306) and it is a similar design so the inner track rod ball joint is presumably in the same place on all three. The 205 and 309 share the same subframe and therefore inner wishbone mounting positions so the wider 309 wishbones and longer trackrods will follow the same arc and therefore not cause bumpsteer even if both cars share the same hubs. However I wonder if the 306 inner wishbone mounting points are further apart? I suppose that would explain the need to have the steering arms on the hubs also further apart?

welshpug

not sure how wide the 205 is, it's too low for me to measure and the floor is wet :lol:

ZX was on axle stands however, subframe mountings are roughly 680mm apart, wishbones are 340mm from the bolt to the centre of the underside of the balljoint.

jackherer

How rough is that 680mm?

I just measured between bolt centres on my 205 and its no more than 675mm, possibly a bit less but I was crawling under a low 205 and the GTI6 sump might have been getting in the way.

Miles

Thats odd as I;ve fitted GTi6 ones on mine and the tracking is spot on by eye at least, I'll know more when I take the cr for tracking next month

jackherer

Actually I take it all back, I've found a tiny kink in the steering arm on one of the hub carriers I took off :D

ETA: I'm not at all surprised as they were from a crashed car I reshelled, the left wishbone was bent almost 90 degrees but the hub looked OK, I should have inspected it more thoroughly obviously, its only very slightly marked but its enough to affect the alignment it seems. I'll try to take a pic later.

Edited by jackherer

foreigner

So does it work or not?

I got 306 and zx for spares so I could use it on my 205 auto conversion to td.

jackherer

Apart from the slight loss of negative camber they work fine, I've just driven a car with them fitted. The toe problem I had earlier was due to a bent hub, as described above.

I wouldn't use them without 309 wishbones or eccentric top mounts to get some camber back though. I have them fitted with 309 wishbones at the moment and they look like they have 0 degrees camber, its just very wide!

Sign in to follow this