• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NeilGTi85

Window Washer Jets - Motor

NeilGTi85

Hello All,

I'm begining to tackle the task's needed to pass the MOT.

I've read the hayne's manual and searched on here but cant find anything about the washer motor, basiclly my washer jets for the front do not work.

I have taken the washer jets of and made sure they are clean, checked the pipes and bottle and all seem's well but there is no noise when trying to use them....in all my other 205's you can here the motor going when you try and clean the window.

Its a GTi-6'd 205 so maybe it was not even wired up during the conversion, Where do I start/look??

Cheers

Neil

Veero

Even if it's converted the washers should still work, it's all on a seperate loom. My washer was working fine and then it stopped just before an MOT.

Chances are the terminals on the washer pump on the bottle in the engine bay have just corroded. I had to chop the plug off and crimp 2 spades on, I cleaned up the contacts on the motor and it worked fine again. If you have a multimeter you should be easily able to see if it's getting 12v across the terminals.

Hope that helps

Veero

NeilGTi85

Thanks Alot Veero, so the washer pump is on the bottle?? I learn a new thing everytime I use this forum...

Thanks Agian,

Neil

jackherer

The wiring for the washers is separate from the engine management stuff so a GTI6 shouldn't affect it really, unless its been moved and the wires have been extended, but thats only likely with an Mi16.

Usual faults are corrosion on the plug that connects to the pump or corrosion of the wire itself, I've had to replace the wire all the way to the relay on the bulkhead in the past. Speaking of which, the relay is the next port of call. This is assuming you've done basic stuff like check for 12v at the plug with a multimeter to confirm the pump itself isn't dead followed by checking fuses.

Edited by jackherer
edit: way too slow

NeilGTi85

I'll have ago tonight to check the connection's and the relay & fuse's. I dont have a multi-meter but if they look abit dodge I'll cut them off and give them the wire brush & replace the connecters.

Will let you know how it goes,

Cheers

Neil

steve@cornwall

Then fit some 306 twin jets - they actually get the screen wet enough to clear :blush:

platty

Anyone know where to get the Misting jets you see on the modern Beemers?

Did I just answer my own question there? :blush:

Veero

307s use them. Plenty about in scrappies.

Fox

Some late saxo's and xsaras use them too

spikey_richie

If you need a new pump, www.gsfcarparts.co.uk do them. If you buy one, it's easy to work out how it fits. You MIGHT need to take the battery out to get at the motor though.

NeilGTi85
If you need a new pump, www.gsfcarparts.co.uk do them. If you buy one, it's easy to work out how it fits. You MIGHT need to take the battery out to get at the motor though.

Ive got the battery box from the GTi-6 currently.....which is most proberbly in the way.....was meaning to move it to the boot anyway.

Hopefully its not a duff pump but thanks for the info,

Cheers

Neil

spikey_richie

When you pull the stalk, can you hear the pump? If not, stick a multimeter in the pins. If there's voltage, the pump is dead. If there's no vaults, the wire's broken or the stalk is shafted.

stufarri

I had the same issue and after buying a new pump found the problem to be the stalk.

Try to test if the pump works before buying a new one is my top tip.

Replaced the stalk with a used one from ebay - cost me £7 and all sorted.

Stu

soap.mactavish

you could always use a manual one off a mk1 mini .LOL

it would save a few grams aswell :lol:

NeilGTi85

I had a quick glance last night and cleaned the pins and check the hoses were not blocked, changed the fuse etc

I have not got a multi-meter at the mo but will do tongiht, I'm begining to think it is the stalk.

Cheers All,

Neil

jord294

i'd put money on the earthing block being at fault.

it's the one under the n/s headlight adjuster. a pig to get to, but just make sure it isn't corroded.

let us all know how you get on :D

NeilGTi85
i'd put money on the earthing block being at fault.

it's the one under the n/s headlight adjuster. a pig to get to, but just make sure it isn't corroded.

let us all know how you get on :D

Cheers Jord294, I will check that tongiht.

Will let you know,

Neil

16v205

If youve not got a multimeter use a 12v bulb. Idealy if youve got a spare headlight available pull the sidelight out and attach a wire to each of the holder terminals, poke the other end of each wire into the washer motor plug and leave it resting on your engine so you can see it through the front window. When you pull the stalk the light should come on, if it doesnt you have no power and you can start following the trail backwards to the stalk.

The same with the motor, touch one terminal onto the battery + and use a bit of wire from the battery - to touch the other pump terminal, if it doesnt make any noise its faulty.

I found most often than not the connector plugs corrode or the wire snaps on the crimp inside the plug with just the outer wire sleeve holding it all together so it still looks right. If you dont get power at the washer motor plug cut it off and recrimp before ripping your dashboard to bits swapping washer stalks.

Rich

NeilGTi85
If youve not got a multimeter use a 12v bulb. Idealy if youve got a spare headlight available pull the sidelight out and attach a wire to each of the holder terminals, poke the other end of each wire into the washer motor plug and leave it resting on your engine so you can see it through the front window. When you pull the stalk the light should come on, if it doesnt you have no power and you can start following the trail backwards to the stalk.

The same with the motor, touch one terminal onto the battery + and use a bit of wire from the battery - to touch the other pump terminal, if it doesnt make any noise its faulty.

I found most often than not the connector plugs corrode or the wire snaps on the crimp inside the plug with just the outer wire sleeve holding it all together so it still looks right. If you dont get power at the washer motor plug cut it off and recrimp before ripping your dashboard to bits swapping washer stalks.

Rich

Thanks Rich, will give it ago tonight and see what happens. Hopefully I can borrow a multimeter from a friend

Cheers

Neil

NeilGTi85

I have found out it the pump (thank **** for that, really did not want to go through all the wiring and find out its the stalk!!)

So an easy fix, thanks for all the help

Neil

Kobayashi
Then fit some 306 twin jets - they actually get the screen wet enough to clear :(

when i went to peugeot to get new 205 ones, they also gave me twin jets. they're fine.

humanz
307s use them. Plenty about in scrappies.

Are the 307 washer jets a direct fit?

Para

I was about to ask the same question :blink:

NeilGTi85
I was about to ask the same question :blink:

Good to know this might help someone with the same prob......i still have not got my replacement motor yet but when I do I will update this thread how I got on.

Neil

Para

I've got the same problem, i made a mistake of ordering new washer pump before i even checked the wiring. Now I will have to dig deep under the steering wheel. I hear that the whole swith is hard to open and there is lot's of small springs which might pop out.