• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jamiej

Fitting Lowering Springs

jamiej

I have just purchased some Eibach lowering ssprings and intent to fit them today.

I have looked through the haynes manual and it seems a fairly simple job BUT ... are there any things i need to watch out for ?

Also, to tighten (and loosen) the top of the strut, do i need any sort of special tool to hold the strut in place while i wind the nut off .. if you know what i mean, any help much appreciated.

Many thanks

Jamie

on a slightly less important note, i am also changing the wishbones (again) and track rod ends, anyone suggest a suitable order for doing this to make life easier ??

Thanks

Fox

Changing springs is an easy enough job, dont forget you'll need some spring compressors if you dont want your head taking off! They can be got for about £15 from motor factors, or even halfarts.

I dont know what the haynes manual says about removing the front strut, but I find it easier to remove the driveshaft nut and brakes, and take the whole hub and strut off the car at once. The shocker base tends to rust into the hub nicely.

An impact wrench is ideal for the top nut, but a deep ring spanner 21mm (i think!) will do as long as its not all rusted up. On some shockers you can use an allen key to stop the strut turning, although I've seen them with torx and small bolt heads as well.

With the track rod ends, you'll need to make sure they are the same length, then measure the distance or count the times it takes to wind them off. If your fitting lowering springs you'll need to get your tracking checked after anyway, infact it would be wise to get it done due to the new bottom arms aswell.

Hope this helps!

soap.mactavish

Yes it a fairly easy job . you will need some spring clamps (you can get them from somewere like helfords for about £10/15)

its a good idea to spray plenty of wd40 on all the bolts (best the night before hand to let it penitrate well) dont forget to spray the droplinks as they can be the worst ones for rusting up.

do the wishbones ether before or after the springs (you will want the strut to be bolted on to hold the hub up).

Prob best to get a balljoint spliter for this. (about £5/10) some times you can just shock them lose by slakening the nut off and hiting the hub at the side of were they go through with a hammer (but DO NOT start hiting the balljoint it will not help) and puting a bit of presure with a prybar at the same time.

hope this helps

Steve

Edited by soap.mactavish

boombang

I stripped down 3 sets of struts the other week to find three different sized nuts on the top.

The best way by far is impact gun to get the nut off, makes it a lot easier.

jamiej

Ok, thanks for your comments.

All very handy ... im going to attack the job tommorow me thinks, may have to end up taking the legs to a garage to get the top mounts off. I do not have an air compresssor, or a 21mm cranked spanner ...

Wish me luck !!

Jamie

number2301

Just either buy the right sized spanner or you can also buy open backed ratchets. I'd always prefer to have the tools to do it myself if necessary than to take it somewhere else to do it.

CosKev

I take mine to local Kwik Fit to get top nuts off,they take seconds with air gun.But can be a real pain the arse doing it yourself without damaging something ^_^

A good tip I read on here for refitting the trailing arms is not to tighten the securing bolts up when the car is in the air ;)

It will twist the bushes when you drop the car back down onto its wheels.

Tighten them up when car is back down on the wheels. :)

Sign in to follow this