• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest lynns_GTI

Head Gasket

Guest lynns_GTI

:lol: hi my head gasket has gone would it be better to go for a steel one stick to the standard one. any suggestions much appteciated

Anthony

What engine is this for?

Unless you've something particularly special spec wise, a standard replacement HG is fine.

Guest lynns_GTI

:lol: It's a '89 1.6 GTI not sure exactly which engine code it is, standard engine.It's the first pug i've owned so don't know much about them really.Are the head gaskets prone to going and is there anything else i need to keep an eye on?

thanks

Lynn

Anthony

Standard HG is just fine for the job then.

These engines are not known for headgasket failure, but they're around 20 years old now and will have no doubt got a bit hot and/or not had the coolant changed as per the schedule, so the odd failure is to be expected.

Do the job properly and ensure the head is checked for trueness and skimmed if required, and the new HG will likely outlast the car :lol:

nimmo

get the valve stem seals done there prone for going and when they do go its back off with head gasket.

jeremy
get the valve stem seals done there prone for going and when they do go its back off with head gasket.

This is wise, as although the valve stem oil seals can be replaced with the head still on non of the garages I have asked will do it.

mickie
This is wise, as although the valve stem oil seals can be replaced with the head still on non of the garages I have asked will do it.

they probably dont even own the right tools

damien

alittle off topic but whats the main cause of head gaskets going?

and what are the signs? mayo around the filler cap/missfiring/overheating?

Edited by damien

edbar

Mayo in the filler cap(breather) and temperature climbing at an increased rate leading to over-heating. My 309 has decided that now is a good time to demonstrate these traits! :)

large

White smoke, bubbles in the coolent, engine down on power. Heaggaskets can go at any time :lol: , I have heared of them going on new cars i.e. within the 1st 20 miles :( . Mind you that was a rover :) .

mickie

also they like to go when your cars 20 yr old and also it doesnt help that most people dont ever flush out collant in a cars life time.

look at the hg when you take it off, it'll probably be all rotten around coolant holes

MrG

when they removed my head the gasket was on its last legs for sure, it was in a real bad way.

Anthony

With a failing/failed headgasket, you might see some of the following symptoms...

Unexplained loss of coolant

Pressurising of the cooling system (coolant hoses going hard with engine running)

Fuel smell in expansion tank

White smoke from exhaust

Misfire / running on 2-3 cylinders

It depends largely how the gasket has failed - for example, failing between two cylinders will usually lose lots of power but potentially not effect the cooling system, whereas between a cylinder and waterway might not lose any power but will affect the cooling system.

In my experience with wet-lined engines like 205 GTi's and Mi16's, you rarely end up with coolant and oil mixing - I don't recall ever seeing one with mayo in the expansion tank, and mayo in the breathers is almost normal in cold and damp conditions (especially if the car doesn't do many long journeys) and is not something to assume is related to a possible failing headgasket.

Rock Lobster

I read a good guide to tuning the xu engine on pumaracing.co.uk, pretty good really and the guy seems to know what hes talking about. On there was a section on tightening up the head bolts, definately worth a read.

nimmo

don't be fooled by the mayo under the filler cap it doesn't mean that your head gasket has gone

Guest lynns_GTI

:) cheers all for the replies and info.

much appreciated ;)

lynn

damien
With a failing/failed headgasket, you might see some of the following symptoms...

Unexplained loss of coolant

Pressurising of the cooling system (coolant hoses going hard with engine running)

Fuel smell in expansion tank

White smoke from exhaust

Misfire / running on 2-3 cylinders

It depends largely how the gasket has failed - for example, failing between two cylinders will usually lose lots of power but potentially not effect the cooling system, whereas between a cylinder and waterway might not lose any power but will affect the cooling system.

In my experience with wet-lined engines like 205 GTi's and Mi16's, you rarely end up with coolant and oil mixing - I don't recall ever seeing one with mayo in the expansion tank, and mayo in the breathers is almost normal in cold and damp conditions (especially if the car doesn't do many long journeys) and is not something to assume is related to a possible failing headgasket.

ahh i see

so the only way to tell if the headgasket has gone is to get the head off, is this right? ive heard of people doing a "siffer" test to test the headgasket, what is this test?

i ask as my gti6 had the headgasket fail but the only symptom it showed was running on 3 for afew seconds when cold and thats it.

im abit worryed as my 205 is starting to misfire for afew seconds when cold but has always had mayo round the filler since ive owned her.

Tom Fenton

A sniffer test uses a chemical to detect exhaust gasses in the coolant. If the headgasket is healthy then no exhaust gasses should be in the coolant and the chemical stays blue. If the headgasket is failing then sometimes you could get exhaust gasses in the coolant and this makes the chemical turn green/yellow. However if the gasket blows between cylinders then it will not affect the water system. Blowing between the cylinders can however be picked up with a compression test.

In reality unless it is using gallons of water or overheating chronically, or running on 2 cyls with no other possible reason, then don't worry about it.

edbar

Mine is using loads of water and temp is always high after even a minute! There is very light mayo in the breather/filler so thats fairly normal with the xu? And its pressurising the system very well indeed, need to get it sorted :ph34r:

Sign in to follow this