• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

205 Dashboards Questions

djinuk

I am looking for a new 205 gti dashboard as mine has seen better days. I have seen a few base model 205’s in the scrap yards, however they all have a different set of clocks, and therefore a different cowling around them. Is this the only difference and will my cowling for the clocks from my gti fit the base model dashboard.

Moving on from that, how hard are the 205 dashboards to remove?, does anybody have a guide to it ?

I have looked into having the dash flocked as I love the appearance of this finish.

pug_ham

Removing the whole dash isn't that hard imo, leave the wiring loom fitted to it & just unplugging it from the fusebox is easiest.

AFAIK the main part of the dash is the same on the base models as it is on the GTi so your dash cowl should fit straight on.

Once the lower trim panel & glovebox is remove to remove the dash there are a couple of nuts under the scuttle panel (10mm) , one at each side under the corner by the airvent & the centre one under the small triangle above the coin tray iirc.

You'll have to disconnect it from / remove the centre console also (two 8mm nuts / bolts through under the radio).

Graham.

jackherer
AFAIK the main part of the dash is the same on the base models as it is on the GTi so your dash cowl should fit straight on.

They are physically the same but some of them are different shades and textures compared to GTIs.

chrisj21

Is it just the main dash your looking for? if so and in grey i have one you can have,only 30 mins away.

Drop me a pm if interested

Chris

pug_ham
They are physically the same but some of them are different shades and textures compared to GTIs.

Yeah, I knew that but as the op mentions having it flocked I didn't bother to mention it & I'm sure they knew it from looking at them in the base models.

Graham.

jackherer
the op mentions having it flocked

I missed that.

I'm sure they knew it from looking at them in the base models.

Many years ago I removed one from a base model in a breakers and didn't notice until I got it back to my garage :lol::)

Sometimes I think its worth stating the obvious, repeating details or clarifying things in certain threads for the benefit of people searching after the event even if it wont be of benefit directly to the OP.

djinuk

Well went scrapyard today and found a xs with full black dash and doorcards,.. £10 later and its sat in the back of my car :),

djinuk

hey "pugtorque" you say you unclip the fuse box, do you mean that i should undo all the connections going into my fuse box, remove the dash , fit the new one and reclip them all back in, ? im worries of not knowing what goes where :S :P

jeremy
hey "pugtorque" you say you unclip the fuse box, do you mean that i should undo all the connections going into my fuse box, remove the dash , fit the new one and reclip them all back in, ? im worries of not knowing what goes where :S :P

I think he means just release the fuse board from its mountings, and leave in-situ with all the connectors still attached.

Super Josh
remove the dash , fit the new one and reclip them all back in, ? im worries of not knowing what goes where :S :(

The plugs in the fusebox are all polarised, so can only go back into the right hole :)

Josh

pug_ham
hey "pugtorque" you say you unclip the fuse box, do you mean that i should undo all the connections going into my fuse box, remove the dash , fit the new one and reclip them all back in, ? im worries of not knowing what goes where :S :)

Yes, I did mean unclip all the plugs from the fuse box & clip the new ones back in.

Like Josh says, You can't get them wrong because every connector is specifically keyed to only fit into one place on the fuse board.

Graham.

djinuk

ah thats fine them not a problem, ill do that :),

djinuk

ive began fitting my new phase 2 dash, unforunatly the 2 bolts that go thro the bulkhead both snapped around where the plastic attaches, the dashboard still seems farly solid however, shoulld you image ill have any problems.

Sign in to follow this