• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

Stud & Nut Group Buy - Started Rusting

M@tt

I bought some stud and nuts from the group buy last year or so but the nuts on mine have all started to rust :)

Just wondered if anyone else found this?

Matt

boombang

Mine are not from the group buy but believe the buy was for the Grayson ones like I have?

Two of us have got them, a mate's have stripped threads (when being torqued up to proper spec, no air tools used!). I bought mine used off someone on here and first time tightened them up threads gone a bit dodgy on the inside of the nuts.

Anyone recommend a decent supplier of studs and nuts without costing a fortune - it being a rally car don't fancy them letting go mid-stage...

jackherer

I've got the Graystone studs and nuts on 3 or 4 205s and they've been fine on all but one which suffered stripped threads and nuts getting stuck on studs and no end of problems. I've replaced them with a new set and they are fine now.

To prevent corrosion I covered them all in copper grease but if you don't they will rust pretty quickly.

M@tt

yeah i've had to replace 2 also with original bolts as i found they want to crossthread really easily, and 2 of them did (again without the use of airtools)

Anthony

I've had no problems (so far) with mine, although to be fair they're so caked in brake dust and road grime that I'd probably not see any corrosion anyway... :)

They're definately very easy to crossthread though, and I always wind them on several turns by hand to check they're OK before going anywhere near them with a wrench.

pug_ham

The ones fitted to my GTi from the original group buy have started to rust on a few of the nuts but the ones I fitted to my STDT from the last group buy which is used daily in all conditions as yet are fine.

Matt, you got yours more than a year ago didn't you (in the first group buy I did) or did you get somemore last year? :)

They aren't chrome plated like the original bolts though so I'm not surprised they have rusted since fitting.

Graham.

base-1

They're ZNP'd aren't they?

Apart from some being tricky to do up and undo the first couple of times I've not had any problems, I used an airgun on them plenty aswell (fingers first of course!) and always torqued them to 70-75lbs (dunno what factory figure is)

philfingers

AB Motorsport ones are very good, but nothing good is cheap. Quality is very good though, no issues.

Sign in to follow this