• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timmsy19

1.9 Rear Brake Balance

timmsy19

Hi all

Just been using the wonderfull search function for the forum........

Seems like i have the same issue as this http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...;hl=rear+brakes

Can anyone confirm that it WILL be the oposite side compensator?

Basicly here are my results...

Left front: 186kgf. Right front: 221kgf.

Left rear: 107kgf. Right rear: 63kgf

Parking brake. Left: 107kgf. Right: 110kgf

Ive changed the right compensator and madesure the system has been bled and made sure all sliders, pistons and pads move as they should.

Only thing left is the caliper and left side compensator?

Can anyone confirm

Thanks in advance

Graham

Rock Lobster

I'm not sure exactly how the compensators work but going by the quote from welshpug from your link

"most common problem is that the compensator on the strongest side has gone open circuit and is not restricting the flow of fluid."

i'd guess that the same as happened to you and all the flow is going to the strongest side (left if i've read it right) and the weaker side is working as it should giving you that huge imbalance.

I have read on here before that people have opted to do away with the compensators, run a single line and use a bias valve to regulate the rear braking.

Hope this makes sense and maybe helps a little!

Huw.

timmsy19

see thats what i thought by reading it. just wanted to be 100% before i have to go changing compensators again as there a pig to undo and fit

supersub14
Left front: 186kgf. Right front: 221kgf.

Left rear: 107kgf. Right rear: 63kgf

Parking brake. Left: 107kgf. Right: 110kgf

Can i just ask.....

Using the values above, should the rear figures both be near the 63kgf or the 107kgf? Just wondering if the correct value should be similar to the reading from the parking brake (ie 107kgf), or if it should be less?

Tommer
see thats what i thought by reading it. just wanted to be 100% before i have to go changing compensators again as there a pig to undo and fit

They are a pain to undo! and if yours are anything like mine, the brake line that goes from the compensator to towards the engine bay will be rusty and brittle and most likely split when doing the union to the NEW compensator up tightly(grr).

timmsy19
Can i just ask.....

Using the values above, should the rear figures both be near the 63kgf or the 107kgf? Just wondering if the correct value should be similar to the reading from the parking brake (ie 107kgf), or if it should be less?

now the car has passed its MOT i can confirm that it was the passenger side compensator that needed changing. :D not a big issue as i used the old one good one from the drivers side previously taken off.

the rear brake readings are now

Left: 81kgf

Right: 82kgf

Parking brake: 100 kgf both sides

They are a pain to undo! and if yours are anything like mine, the brake line that goes from the compensator to towards the engine bay will be rusty and brittle and most likely split when doing the union to the NEW compensator up tightly(grr).

they wernt to bad. the halfruds professional brake spanners and loads of WD40 helped alot

supersub14
now the car has passed its MOT i can confirm that it was the passenger side compensator that needed changing. :( not a big issue as i used the old one good one from the drivers side previously taken off.

the rear brake readings are now

Left: 81kgf

Right: 82kgf

Parking brake: 100 kgf both sides

cheers! ill have to get mine sorted for the next mot :D

welshpug

Timmsy, you don't happen to have the Readings for the front brakes from the second test as well? just curious to see if the force applied changed.

timmsy19

yep the force did change

Fronts

Right 1st reading 221kgf. 2nd reading 197kgf

Left 1st reading 186kgf. 2nd reading 180kgf

probbaly be different again now ive change my front right hand side caliper and re-bled the system as i had a bit of spongy brakes when it went in for its test but still passed

but to sum up less rear brake force on one side will have effect on the front one the same side although i dont see how if its running independant lines for each brake caliper?

Edited by timmsy19

Sign in to follow this