• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtdog

Speaker Location

dirtdog

I used to have two 6x9 speakers in a stealth shelf but since my car has been SORN i've removed the back seats etc...

I'm wondering if anyone has fitted speakers in the recess where the rear seats used to be? I have put the speakers in the dip and they look like they'd fit like a glove. Curious as to if there's any reason why I shouldnt put them here(apart from the fact i've got a rusty hole there!) and also if someone has done it..how did they go about it? It looks a lot more puzzling than making a MDF shelf..

Thanks

DrSarty

Well you have a couple of options now my friend. There would be a lot of work in building a proper speaker enclosure for the rear seat hollow if you wanted it to follow the contours of the floor pan, ie mesh, glass fibre mat and smelly resin.

Alternatively you could just make a flat board with speaker cut-outs, plonk it in and silicon around the edges.

If you've stripped the rear, you might consider taking out the rear passenger side trim panels which have a little pocket in, and making MDF panels to fit in their place. That would make an excellent, stealthy install too.

Alternatively a longish but small box, possibly wedge shaped right up against the boot lip (where the lower latch is) which was securley fixed would be a good idea too, and in my opinion the best sound quality if that's what you're after, as the main effort should be coming from your front, properly mounted speakers.

All of the above options, if done using decent 18mm MDF as the baffle board/box material will give a decent thumping bass. :D

Good luck.

Edited by DrSarty

Paintguy
I'm wondering if anyone has fitted speakers in the recess where the rear seats used to be? I have put the speakers in the dip and they look like they'd fit like a glove. Curious as to if there's any reason why I shouldnt put them here

I may have got it wrong, but are you thinking about cutting holes in the floor to mount them? If so, then think again as they'll be sat in the petrol tank :D

Mounting them in the rear quarters as mentioned above has been done before and is a good idea.

steve@cornwall

Pair of wharfedales and a bungee :)

Paintguy
Pair of wharfedales and a bungee :)

I did at one time have pair of TDL RTL2 floorstanders in the back of my van! :)

steve@cornwall
I did at one time have pair of TDL RTL2 floorstanders in the back of my van! :)

Not totally random - I had a pair of lintons in a Honda Acty in the 80's :)

dirtdog

Thanks for the relpys everyone.

No paintguy, i wouldnt dare cut holes in the floor!!! You may have got confused because I mention having a rusty hole there, but that's just from corrosion which I need to fix. Not an 9" grinder massacre :)

I think fibre glass is a good idea but I have no experience in it whatsoever. I'd give it a go if wanted a rounded(..or any shape really) part but it'll be flat so I may just use a flat board of MDF. Cheaper and less messy

The rear side trim panels/cards have already been removed but shortly i'm buying carbon goodies to replace them. I think I have actualy seen the speakers fitted this way before and looked really good, but the MDF and speaker that high up isn't really what I have in mind.

The other option DrSarty mentioned is the small box wedged up against the bootlip. I think I know what you mean. When you open the boot, the floor is lower than the lip..build a box up to that height and put the 6x9s in there?

Thanks again guys

Sign in to follow this