• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CaptainP

15" Speedlines On A Turbo Diesel?

CaptainP

As the title really. Will 15" speedlines fit on a Turbo Diesel shell, or will there be a problem with rubbing on the arches?

Thanks

welshpug

is it an STDT?

CaptainP

No, just the basic Dturbo - sorry should have said.

Steve

DaveW

Nah should be ok as its like a 4x4 ride hight! might rub with 2 ppl in the back or very large bump/dip in the road.

Anthony

Basically a non-STDT turbo diesel just has a base model shell - it's usually OK at standard ride height, but if it's lowered you'll likely have problems, especially if you're running the usual 195/50R15 tyres.

dirtdog

I had speedlines on a XLD a few years ago, it was standard ride height and never rubbed. 195/55R15 tyres. It was ever so close to the inside of the rear wheel arch though..couldnt get a finger down behind them and I don't have sausage fingers :D

My STDT fouled a tiny bit with people in the back over speed bumps and it's standard height, but I think it's because the STDT is lower than a XLD?

Anthony
My STDT fouled a tiny bit with people in the back over speed bumps and it's standard height, but I think it's because the STDT is lower than a XLD?

STDT is a GTi shell and should thus be no different to 1.6 or 1.9 GTi's, both of which are fine with 15" wheels.

dirtdog

yea the wheels are fine with it, it's just at the time I had a boot full of speakers and amps because I did a lot of motorway miles working away. Add two guys who weigh about 14 stone each and then throw in welsh speed bumps.. :D

jonnygoodhand

The 5dr DTurbo I used to have was fitted with 15" Speedlines and they DID rub. It hadn't been lowered in anyway, but you really felt it, especially when driving over any bumps.

I soon swapped them over for some 14" 405/205 STDT alloys (where the wheels rubbed was quite evident) and all was fine.

CaptainP

Thanks all for the replies. Jonny this one is the 5door model, and yup it rubbed like mad when I tried them this morning.

DaveW

Ah bummer 5dr is tricky 14''s are the only way to go really.

DaveW

Had a thought what about using stiffer rear shocks? like gti ones and a gti arb?

shalmaneser

I thought all 3dr shells were the same? is this not true?

Adam.

Jrod
I thought all 3dr shells were the same? is this not true?

Adam.

No, base models have much smaller rear arches.

BERTMAN

mine rub on a 5door GT, but ive had a look and if you just removed the lip on the arch they should be ok... bout £20 a side todo at a bodyshop?

Sign in to follow this