• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

Decent Coilovers

Alan_M

I'm after a decent set of coilovers for the Pug, as I've given up on the standard strut stuff, limitations in spring rate and height being the main reason.

More or less decided to go for coilovers, preferable Bilstein but I'm trying to decide whether adjustable dampers are the way to go. The PugSport stuff was impressive in Jonah's car, but given the car will be used on the road 'occasionally' I would prefer something that can be tinkered with.

Don't want Gaz or Avo as there are too many mixed opinions on them. Having had Bilstein on my car since day one, I'd be likened to them again but I don't think they do the PSS/PSS9 kits for a 205, leaving the PTS GrpA stuff.

Other than that are there any other kits out there worth a mention? I think JamesR has AST's on his, but the only kit I found for a 205 cost over £2k!

I don't need rears for now, as the Bilstein Challenge shocks are on there. Just fronts will do.

Recommendations?

Anthony

I've got some Bilstein Group N fixed platform coilovers, complete with gravel spec inserts and springs if that's of interest?

The inserts have seen better days, but you could do what I was planning to do and use the inserts out of your Challenge dampers (roughly equivilent to tarmac spec I believe) and have some good coilovers on the cheap. Obviously as they're fixed platform you don't have the ability to fine tune the ride height (you can still obviously use different length/poundage springs), although that said, the adjustable platforms on most coilovers are usually siezed anyway.

I take it that the PLR tarmac springs didn't work out for you then?

SPGTi

I have the PTS GrpA bilsteins on my road rally car (gravel inserts / 180lb 9" springs). They work very well on the mixed surfaces that I use the car on (smooth tarmac to goat tracks). I think you can get this setup for about £500 from the likes of Shenpar. If you want track suspension that you can "play" with have a look at setups with remote cannisters, but these are usually big bucks. Weren't Powerstation the AST agent and do a set for around £750 for the 205 ?

Personally I like Bilstein as they are tried and tested on the 205. I don't know whether they are the best in the price range anymore but they are no where near the worst.

I presume you would go for tarmac inserts with the 225lb springs for the Bilstein setup.

cheers

Steve

James_R

Have run them I can recommend both

AST coilovers (on the car last year)

Gaz "Gold" Dampers (as run on my 306, and now I have a set for the 205)

Does really depend on what spring rates your going for, the Gaz's are very good and let you go from suitable damping for very soft to very hard spring rates, hence swapping to them.

The limitation of the Billi's from seeing Tom_m's is ride height and effective damper length left they're rallying struts and you don't get much damper trvael left at circuit/road ride heights.

evojay71

I'm using the same on my road rally car as well (GpA adjustable platform bilsteins) with gravel inserts and springs,not sure of the rate on the spring as such but picked them up on ebay £400 with tarmac inserts.

MerlinGTI

Ive got the GAZ GHA (i think) on mine and I loves um :)

Para
Ive got the GAZ GHA (i think) on mine and I loves um :)

Those ones ?

17_1.JPG

ifcho

Has anyone tried the D2 suspension?

Any opinions on them?

Para

I have a friend who is using them in his T16 engined 205, great stuff. Always saying good opinion about them , but they are twice expensive as decent Gaz or bilstein, that's probably only disadvantage.

MerlinGTI
Those ones ?

17_1.JPG

Thats um, 175lb springs Got the eccentric top mounts on as well :) Cant remember if I got GGA or GHA now, but they look the same as the pic ones.

Edited by MerlinGTI

Tom Fenton

I've got the Gaz coilovers too, and have to say I am impressed with them, especially for the price. Mine came with 225lb springs which I thought would be far too hard, but in actual fact seem to work well.

d-9

IVe got ASTs on mine and am very impressed. Tried them and PTS coilovers and theyre fairly comparable, but i can get the ASTs rebuilt in my lunchhour rather than having to post them to germany. Think they were about £500 for the front struts, springpans and springs, I didnt bother buying the rears as Ive already got grp n billies on there. Buy ASTs.

taylorspug
I've got the Gaz coilovers too, and have to say I am impressed with them, especially for the price. Mine came with 225lb springs which I thought would be far too hard, but in actual fact seem to work well.

Ive got 175lb springs with mine and they are too soft, ive decided 225 will be about right so im going to give them a go. I originally steered away from anything over 200lb as i thought it would be too hard, but due to my low ride height ive now got the dampers wound up fully hard just to stop it bottoming out over everything.

Does anyone know if Gaz supply springs seperately?

Tom Fenton

Springs are easy, just order 9" open length 2.25" dia springs in your desired rate from somewhere such as Rally Des, Merlin M/sport, Tweeks, etc etc.

MerlinGTI
Ive got 175lb springs with mine and they are too soft, ive decided 225 will be about right so im going to give them a go. I originally steered away from anything over 200lb as i thought it would be too hard, but due to my low ride height ive now got the dampers wound up fully hard just to stop it bottoming out over everything.

Does anyone know if Gaz supply springs seperately?

Christ! you running a heavier engine ('6'?) or do you track your car?

175's and the damper settings just below half way on mine (8v). Lowered so you can get 1 and a half fingers between the arch. Ive been thinking about taking the dampers down a click or two to soften it up a tiny bit! This is a road car mind. :)

taylorspug

Yeah that was my plan, i just wondered if Gaz supplied springs aswell (and who they get their springs from for that matter).

Will prob end up getting them from Tweeks, ive been buying stuff from there for years so i usually get a reasonable discount now.

taylorspug
Christ! you running a heavier engine ('6'?) or do you track your car?

175's and the damper settings just below half way on mine (8v). Lowered so you can get 1 and a half fingers between the arch. Ive been thinking about taking the dampers down a click or two to soften it up a tiny bit! This is a road car mind. :)

Yes my car has a 6 engine in it, and will be out at Brands in November. I can just get 2 fingers between the arch and the wheel. Its mainly the drivers side damper that bottoms out, as obviously it has alot more weight preloaded onto it. Im sure on an 8v it would be fine, but ive got alot more engine sitting on top of mine and that is definately whats making the difference. :)

Batfink

i think too many people run way too soft a spring!. My brother and I found 280lb springs too soft for track use with AO48's on a 205 Rallye. Seemed good on the road too though the dampers were very good quality (Ledas)

Para

What kind of springs would you use for Bilstein B8 with S16 ??? Car is 35 mm lowered.

Edited by Para

Sign in to follow this