• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jrod

Preventing Rust Forming After Welding?

Jrod

I've just welded some thick plates to my strut tops as they tent to bend upwards if not when being used on very rough surfaces, my question is reguarding the finishing touches. Obviously the paint / sealant from under the strut top got burnt off when welding so I've cleaned it all up and primered / painted.

Should I use underseal? I'm slightly concered if I just whack on some underseal it may stop the strut sitting against the strut top properly, is this just me being daft? If so then I can happily seal it all up but if not should I put the strut in first then just seal the bits that the strut doesnt sit on? :)

welshpug

quick going over with a wire brush then sandpaper, then just primer it ASAP :)

Jrod
Obviously the paint / sealant from under the strut top got burnt off when welding so I've cleaned it all up and primered / painted.

:(

Should I underseal it is what I want to know, I dont really fancy them rusting! :)

welshpug

doh! the bit that the strut sits isn't undersealed, only the sides of the tower.

Jrod

Up to a point it is though, I've lost a good inch or more of sealnt all the way round and wondered whether its worthwhile to replace it, like I said I don't fancy rust!

I'm guessing i hsould just try and replace the bit i lost as otherwise it might screw up how the strut sits. :)

tom_m

i emptied a can of spray on waxoyl under seal under the arches after getting my car back from custom cages :)

be warned its nasty sticky stuff and goes everywhere!!!

when i put the struts back on after it had dried it squidged a bit, but doesn't seem to have hindered fit in any way.

Paintguy

I'd go with Tom's suggestion.

Some kind of underseal is a good idea in an area that you can't see very easily (to check for damage), so spray some up there by all means for a bit of added protection. As Tom says, it won't dry hard like the OE stuff, so it will squeeze out of the mounting area when the struts go in.

Jrod

Done and it looks great, should last a long time I hope. :ph34r:

Sign in to follow this