• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kennyb

Upgrade For Wiper Motor?

Kennyb

Hi

Ok i've had quite a few 205's now and on every one the wipers aren't that fast on highest setting.......im guessing there isn't much rain in france ...lol...

Anyways I was just wondering if anyone has ever done a conversion to a faster/more efficient motor????? and what was it???

Just a thought because sometimes when its really raining hard i cant see s**t......and im guessing other people have this problem because like i said every 205 has been the same :wub:

Edited by Kennyb

engine killer

I did try the refurbishing method and it helped a tiny little bit (probably because the condition of the motor was already too bad). I sourced a 306 S16 motor from scarpy and it looks almost identical. will try it once I have time.

philfingers

check the pivot shafts mounts. Not sure what you call them. Undo the nuts and pull the arms off. Pull the scuttle panel off. Pull the link arms off. Then two 10 (maybe 8!)mm nuts and then pivot shafts whatever you want to call them come off. Mine were that rusty and corroded I couldn't turn them by hand. Pull the circlip off the ones end. Pull the shaft out the nylon mount, clean, grease, renew whatever and refit. Much improved!

Super Josh

I refurbished my mechanism, as Phil suggests above and then fitted a 106 motor, which I also refurbished, search for a guide by M@tt. It's also worth checking that the connector isn't corroded and that you are getting a decent earth and nominal battery voltage at the connector, as they are fairly old now and weren't designed to last this long.

Seems to do the trick, nice and fast like a modern car now.

Josh

Guest Le JC

In addition, you can improve the timming setting by modifying the wipers relay

It's quite simple, no more than 15 minutes, you can improve your 205, and most PSA cars which don't have this ....

Look for your CARTIER 02 406 or VALEO 2047029 in the electrical box.

And then replace one of the resistors by a potentiometer (is that the right name ?). 10k Ohms will be perfect.

The delay becomes 4 secondes to 12 secondes. Under 4 secondes it's too short because the wiper need a minimum of 4 sec time for working.

You can add a serial 1000 Ohms to the potentiometer to add a second (5 to 13s).

Easier with some photographies cause my English is too bad, sorry.

pict1475dd3.jpg

pict1476br8.jpg

pict1479tr2.jpg

pict1477fw2.jpg

Hope that helps somebody

Rob Turbo

You know, I was driving the work van today, adjusting the intermittant wiper speed to suit my needs at the time and thought to myself, I want this on my 306, and now I can do just that!! (providing the 306 relay is the same of course!!) That's the brake disks not getting changed at the weekend now!!

welshpug

405 has this function, what's the work van Rob? if its something like a Berlingo or a Partner you may be able to fit the stalk, but you'd lose the rear wiper I believe (if its anything like the 405)

Guest Le JC
You know, I was driving the work van today, adjusting the intermittant wiper speed to suit my needs at the time and thought to myself, I want this on my 306, and now I can do just that!! (providing the 306 relay is the same of course!!) That's the brake disks not getting changed at the weekend now!!

Happy that little thing will be helpfull.

Inform me if the intermittant relay is the same on 306's.

However, I only try 2 brand of these but I think you can do that on almost all relays.

In the beginning, I try disconnecting one by one the 3 resistors and replace them with another resistor.

With two of them, nothing change but the third give me the chance.

Now, I know the one to change.

EDIT :

You can put a potentiometer where you want or pick up an electronic switch in a 306 (or other PSA cars) fitted with an original adjusting intermittant wiper speed switch

Edited by Le JC

Super Josh

There is a relay fitted to some VWs that is a direct replacement and doesn't need any additional wires or switches. It works as follows:-

Put on the intermittent wipe, let it do one sweep.

Then the clever bit, you leave it switched on until the screen had enough rain on it and requires clearing. Then you switch off the intermittent wipe, this sets the delay.

Then switch it back on and it uses the new delay to clear the screen.

Then just repeat the above if you need to reset the delay.

I'll see if I can dig out the part number

I have an aftermarket rain sensing system which works really well

Josh

engine killer
There is a relay fitted to some VWs that is a direct replacement and doesn't need any additional wires or switches. It works as follows:-

Then the clever bit, you leave it switched on until the screen had enough rain on it and requires clearing. Then you switch off the intermittent wipe, this sets the delay.

Josh

Sorry Josh, any update on the part number?

the left one is the 205 wiper motor and the right is the one from a 306. apart from the extra plastic housing, the 306's one is the same as 205. the plugs are different and the inside seems like there is 2 extra capacitors too.

Stu

Did you make any progress with this fella? Ive got a similar problem in that on a wet day on track i could drive much faster if i could see where i was going... :ph34r:

• Like 1

engine killer
Did you make any progress with this fella? Ive got a similar problem in that on a wet day on track i could drive much faster if i could see where i was going... :ph34r:

the motor installed. works fine even on dry windscreen, no more juddering/jumping at least for 10 minutes continuos fastest wipe on dry. the fastest is not as fast as those jap's car but much much better than before. for track day, did you try Rain-X. it work the treat if the rain is not like pouring buckets of water or heavy heavy shower like what we have in HK.

Rom

Could you add some more details, what was needed to make the 306 one fit, the wiring differances etc. Sure other people will want to try this.

Chris

Henry Yorke

Josh

This was the one Kyri did a feature on in Torque mag many years ago. IIRC it was a Bosch relay he used. I will see if I can find the mag when I get chance.

engine killer
Could you add some more details, what was needed to make the 306 one fit, the wiring differances etc. Sure other people will want to try this.

Chris

well, original 205 wiper motor socket plug, soldering equipment and heat shrink tube. if you look at the photos i previously posted in this thread, you may find out the wires from each are in match colour. simply solder the match one together, the mounting points are identical. the driveshaft are in different diameter(so, keep the nut) but is helical shape at the end, so you shouldn't have difficulty installing it at all.

p.s. both 205 and 306 wiper motors have 5 wires, blue, grey, black on the flat side of the motor, red and white on the side, perfect match.

Ren

Josh

See here for the relay, http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trk...-All-Categories it's the one with 99 on it that's needed. Not sure whether it fits on the Pug so might be worth trying to find 1 in a scrappy. It's a good mod though, I'm about to buy one for the Vx.

Ren

Spiky

in reply to the VW relay

a VW T4 and it has that function :) its a 2001 model

Edited by Spiky
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this