• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Phil H

Removing Rock Hard Adhesive From Paintwork ?

Phil H

Any advice on the easiest / most effective way to remove what appears to be gripfill off paintwork where it has been used to stick trims on ?

Paintguy

If it really is Gripfill, then you're looking at mechanical methods only really, i.e. scraping and sanding.

But before going to such extremes, try softening it first by various methods to see if you can loosen its grip enough to scrape it of with something like a credit card that won't damage the paintwork. Try things like hot water poured over it, gentle solvents like white spirit, or maybe even nail varnish remover (try this on an out of the way area first to make sure it doesn't soften the paint)

miamichris

hmm...i'm a joiner so I know how much of a pita gripfill can be to get off :blink:

autoglym do a tar and adhesive remover which is good, never tried it on gripfill to be honest but its worth a go i suppose? :huh:

spikey_richie

Try warming it up with a hair-dryer/heat gun or as said use autoglym tar remover.

Rock Lobster

i'd try a hot air gun, try using a small craft type one or eevn a hair dryer, probably as a last resort though as you don't wanna burn the paint!

ashley peddle

I have the same problem - im just planning on using the parts they didnt use to stick mine on :D

Sign in to follow this