• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gazzamec

[car_overhaul] Project Cherry Gti In Need Of Tlc

gazzamec

Firstly im fairly new to the site but have found it extremely helpfull even if ive been of no use myself, i wanted to put this in projects but it wont let me, this is my cherry red GTi i bought her late last year with the intention of stripping it, fitting a cage and an Mi16, since then a lot of factors have changed and it has sat on my driveway getting done very very slowly.

i ntend to get it back on the road for january at the latest as i want to take my other car off the road for some fettling

heres how it looked when i got it

DSC00379.jpg

and as it stands now :blush:

th_DSC01060.jpg

its a straight non PAS non sunroof H reg with 113K, so far ive gutted it fitted a pair of buckets with harnesses aswell as upper and lower front braces, im now working on bodywork as it really needs some TLC the paint is mismatched EVERYWHERE and theres loads im not happy with.

hope you like it and ill try and keep this updated as the bodywork gets done.

Goliath

Nice, looks like it could be a nice little project. Personally i think if your going to use it as a track day car i would spend more on the performance and leave the cosmetics till last, we dont worry about mis-matching paint if your car is nice and quick! lol

Good luck with it.

Edited by Goliath

gazzamec

paint is truley shockingand is the cheapest thing for me to work on (halfords trade is great), im going to be concentrating on the engine when the summer starts to give out, ill probably end up walking everywhere during winter if my other car comes off the road too (which it probably will too quick for wet roads)

ive not really made my mind up on the engine yet, ive been toying with the idea of keeping it 8v and going with a lairy cam pocketted pistons ARPs bike bodies and some aftermarket management but to be honest ive not decided anything for certain yet.

hodgy

well if you want some red gti arch&door trims i have some from when mine was red

gazzamec

15/08/08

started stripping out the engine bay today, ready for removal, couldnt believe the state of some of the clips and pipes, also the stat housing was leaking so will have to sort that when its out.

some pics of what ive done, most for reference.

th_DSC01074.jpg

th_DSC01075.jpg

th_DSC01076.jpg

th_DSC01077.jpg

th_DSC01078.jpg

th_DSC01079.jpg

th_DSC01080.jpg

th_DSC01081.jpg

Edited by pugtorque
Image filesizes, & quantity. 800 x 600, 120k & 6 max or use thumbnails like these have been converted them to.

gazzamec

some more work done over the weekend refurbing some bits.

started ripping more bits out

th_DSC01085.jpg

laid everything out so i knew what i needed most is pretty ok

th_DSC01083.jpg

got a helper working on some bits

th_DSC01084.jpg

while i started on some other stuff

th_DSC01086.jpg

check out the corrosion blocking that pipe, absolutely nothing was going through it, not god

th_DSC01087.jpg

tried to take out the bleed nipple which sheared so drilled it and tapped the threads clean

th_DSC01090.jpg

some of the after pics, getting good at this refurbing malarky

th_DSC01094.jpg

th_DSC01093.jpg

th_DSC01092.jpg

th_DSC01073.jpg

check out the paintwork

apologies to the mods, i dont know how to make thumbnails sorry.

Thumbnail pics & how to do it.

Edited by pugtorque

Ormy

Good work there chap, how long did all that take you? What did you use to get such good a finish on those parts, especially all the nooks and crannies!

gazzamec

took a few hours to do what is there, started by scrubbing most of the bits with ahem washing powder ahem that really scrubs in the dirt and helps lift it straight off then used loads of houshold detergent soap (by far the best low priced degreaser ive found), i removed as much as i could and cleaned everything out, polished up all the sensors and sprayed all the alloy with ford moondust silver then laquered them, i wouldnt usually recommend this method to people not used to using car paint on bare metal as if its not sparkling clean the paint spreads and reacts.

so far the only "bad" bits ive found is the dizzy cap, rotor arm, leads, and a load of jubilee clip

so far so good.

gazzamec

20/08/08

only had about an hour a day for the past few but got some little bits pulled off and cleaned out, first off i had to get a new oil cap as id broken mine on the narrow breather

not the best quality but itll do the job

th_DSC01095.jpg

got the inlet off and gave it a good degreasing and jetwash, it was thick muck in there

th_DSC01096.jpg

th_DSC01097.jpg

th_DSC01098.jpg

th_DSC01099.jpg

soaked the injectors in degreaser for a while

th_DSC01101.jpg

and how i left it, mmm mucky

th_DSC01100.jpg

platty

Good Stuff Gazza,

I'll be starting on mine after the weekend.

gazzamec

22/08/08

got quite a bit done over the week now, got pretty much all the pipes out of the bay and soaking in hot soapy water, have finished getting the engine bay ready to pull the lump so ive left that as it is untill i get back from my holiday next weekend.

soooo i decided id have a crack at lowering the rear beam and give it a geneal tidy up, all way going well working from the passenger side, it was mint and i mean immaculate, then onto the drivers side....hmm a bit stiff...shock out.....hmm its a bit seized b****cks, so beam off sledge out... managed to get it budged slightly then clunk off pops the trailing arm...leaving the tube firmly wedged/corroded/STUCK inside the cross tube.

this left me sitting for a while contemplating the future of the car, in the end i just thought in for a penny in for a pound, guess ill have to source a beam, so i stripped off the disk hub bits from the arms and stuck the rest of the bits to one side for salvage.

hopefully ill be able to fit a base model beam and transfer over the bits....hopefully.

this left me with nothing to do for the rest of wednesday and all of friday so out came the filler and papers and i cracked on with the body prep.

pcs to come tommorow as im stuck at work :D

Edited by gazzamec

gazzamec

some pictures of the progress from this week

rear beam off, drivers trailing arm seized

th_DSC01104.jpg

after some persuasion, as you can see not quite what was supposed to happen.

th_DSC01105.jpg

so cracked on with the bodywork

th_DSC01108.jpg

th_DSC01109.jpg

th_DSC01112.jpg

gazzamec

01/09/2008

not much progress to report, have got some work done on the drivers side rear removing trolley dents and filling some of the deeper scratches aswell as finally removing the stub axles from my knackered trailing arms.

th_DSC01113.jpg

th_DSC01114.jpg

th_DSC01192.jpg

gazzamec

03/09/2008

polycarb windows temporarily fitted to check gaps etc, not cut the quarters yet, need to get some base model rubbers and make a template, ive still enough material for about 3 sets of rear quarters, not bad for £40 eh

th_DSC01198.jpg

th_DSC01199.jpg

gazzamec

10/09/2008

while my pile of new parts is growing ive been doing little bits here and there, this is turning into a full overhaul now :lol:

so todays work, total strip down of the engine bay, no point pulling it out yet as i found out today i dont have a socket for the hubnut doh, so thats been left in place but with all the bolts crack for ease later.

th_DSC01232.jpg

passenger side flooring painted up and wiring loom P clipped down, the battery box will be going here too.

th_DSC01233.jpg

also got sick of the door springing back off the bush in the flower bed so that got lopped off, loadsa room now.

th_DSC01228.jpg

gazzamec

forgot to add this pic, speaks for its self really, repaired a small patch next to the old repair but the front panel was too far gone, new panel and bottom member have been ordered just awaiting delivery.

DSC01234.jpg

gazzamec

new parts update

th_DSC01251.jpg

th_DSC01247.jpg

th_DSC01252.jpg

th_DSC01276.jpg

felix2566

Who did you get the replacement front panel part from, is it a good fit?

gazzamec

beevers panels, i havent fitted it yet so cant comment on fit but i will post up the pics of fitting here when i do so.

gazzamec

little update, cage arrived, dummy fitted.

terrible fit tbh lmao

few big pics (sorry)

DSC01309.jpg

DSC01310.jpg

gazzamec

been doing quite a bit over the week on the shell been stripping loads of seam sealer off the inside to make sure ive got no nasties lurking below the surface, good news is i dont :), have finally got the cage fully welded and all the plates welded in, have dont the first coat on the floor will give it another going over before the cage goes back in, also got to take out the dash to get the matrix and all unneccesary weight.

the paint arrived today too, wont be going Cherry red again as its too orangybrown even brand new, soooo enter ford radiant red!!

looks orange in the pic but its very very red!

some pics

th_DSC01335.jpgth_DSC01336.jpg

th_DSC01337.jpgth_DSC01333.jpg

th_DSC01349.jpgth_DSC01347.jpg

th_DSC01350.jpgth_DSC01351.jpg

gazzamec

have'nt been able to get many hours in on the pug nor money, so i'll do a small update of what i have done.

my corsa needed a new turbo so of course that needed sorting first nad cost me an arm and a leg

th_DSC01382.jpg

then i got down to some pug loving

engine finally out 113k minter, going to need to sell to raise some funds lol.

th_SP_A0017.jpg

got the dash and heater gubbing out, going to smooth off the dash and have it flocked, then i decided i dint want a car that needed T cut every week so made a big decision and went for it.......

WHITE!!!

th_DSC01400.jpg

got hammeriting all the high traffic and hard wearing areas

th_DSC01402.jpg

this pic shows the frankestein style weld on the headlight panel lol

th_SP_A0015.jpg

as you can see there is a few little patches of surface rust for me to deal with but nothing major

th_SP_A0016.jpg

stripped off the subframe and checked it over, both ball joints seem fine but the bushes were a bit shot so am gonna get some poly ones for it (only a track slag so not bothered about ride comfortness)

shenpar are selling quickracks now so depending on fucds i might have myself one of those aswell

th_DSC01405.jpg

gazzamec