• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mercury

Clutch Cable Replacement Writeup?

mercury

Hello guys,

about to replace my clutch cable, and was wondering if there is a good guide here (with plenty of pictures suitable for noobs :o). I tried searching but couldnt find one. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Merc

ccgoose

iirc these aren't too hard, simply follow the clutch cable round to where it is attached to the clutch release arm, then a case of logically removing said bolts/washers to release the old cable, then you're free to get it off the pedal end. Having watched anthony do something similar on my old xantia it's more fiddly than actually requiring much technical know how, having said that, i left it to a pro :o

dcc

did mine a few weeks back.

put the clip on the pedal first, then on the clutch lever. the gromet will pull itself tight when pressure put on the pedal.

i cut my cable, and used it to thread the old 1 back through the gromit.

evojay71

Just have a look at how the one is fitted on the car,it's an easy job to replace. Undo the tension nuts at the end of the cabe on the clutch fork,above the gearbox and easier to do from underneath and depending on year unhook the cable off the clutch peddle or remove the clip and slide out the clevice pin,cut the cable tie on the subframe and pull cable out. The only problem I did encounter was with the cable I bought from my local motor factors,the patern cable was to long. A mate of mine has had this problem as well and said it's less hassle just to go to a peugeot dealer and get a genuine one. Hope this helps??

marksorrento205

Dont know if it was just my car but I have the hook and fork type and I had to remove the bolt that goes through the pedal to remove the pedal to get clearance to unhook the cable. dont remember doing it on others

pug_ham

What year is your car & which gearbox has it got (Be1 or Be3)?

The main difference at the clutch pedal end, Be1 has a pin you need to remove to detach the end from the pedal but the Be3 is hooked over.

Basically for the pedal end (whichever kind) working upside down in the footwell is almost a garuntee but removing the pedal bolt can make it a slightly shorter time doing this.

Graham.

mercury
What year is your car & which gearbox has it got (Be1 or Be3)?

The main difference at the clutch pedal end, Be1 has a pin you need to remove to detach the end from the pedal but the Be3 is hooked over.

Basically for the pedal end (whichever kind) working upside down in the footwell is almost a garuntee but removing the pedal bolt can make it a slightly shorter time doing this.

Graham.

yeh mine is a 1988 1.9 i beleive its be1. I can re-use the pin on the old cable right? Mine is just sticky it hasnt broken off or anything.

Also what is the basic principal fo the cltuch cable? Just trying to understand how it works and where it connects to (im a total noob). So one end connects tot he clutch pedal behind the firewall. The other end connects to where?

Cheers,

Merc

slobberingant

DJB from the australian french car forum (aussiefrogs.com) documented the process involved with his change of clutch cable. It has pictures that should be able to help clarify things. Also, he has a BE1 gearbox so it is even more relevant.

AussieFrogs Clutch Cable Thread

hope it helps.

pug_ham
I can re-use the pin on the old cable right?

Yes, the pin & clip on the pedal can vbe reused OK.

Also what is the basic principal fo the cltuch cable? Just trying to understand how it works and where it connects to (im a total noob). So one end connects tot he clutch pedal behind the firewall. The other end connects to where?

The cable pulls the clutch fork which presses the release bearing against the clutch cover seperating the engine drive from the gearbox so you can select a different gear.

The other end of the clutch pedal fits on the gearbox clutch armn or quadrant.

Attached image is from a Be3 gearbox, undo (or loosen the two nuts on the end & the pedal should drop to the floor allowing you to remove the cable. You don't need to completely remove the nuts, the cable end should slide out of the gearbox end through a slot in the arm & end stop.

Graham.

post-71-1218828692_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

mercury

thanks guys for the help.

I have removed the bottom steering surround to get acess to the pedal.

Attached is the pic.

Would it be easier to remove the pedal to find the clip? I cannot see the clip from the cabin side, do i have to be under the car to see the pin?

Also is the nut (circles in red) the only thing i need to losen up to remove the pedal?

Cheers,

Merc

post-12282-1218855360_thumb.jpg

pug_ham

Removing the pedal is probably easier than working upside down in the footwell to remove the clip on the Be1 but either way its possible.

With the pedal pushed fully to the floor you should be able to see the clip & clutch cabe end imo.

You need a 16mm socket & spanner to hold the bolt if you choose to remove the pedal.

Graham.

Simes

Perhaps Mercury you could do a 'how to' write up with pics about this to stick on the main site?

mercury
Perhaps Mercury you could do a 'how to' write up with pics about this to stick on the main site?

Hello Simes,

I have just finished it and am collecting all the pictures so i can add it into this thread along with a step by step instructions. Hopefully it will help a few people replace the clutch.

Will have it up soon.

Cheers,

Merc

Emmy Seize

By the way: There has been an in-between version from BE1 to BE3.

I was unlucky enough to find out when my car's clutch cable snapped in rush hour traffic a few weeks ago.

These cars have a BE1 box and a BE3 type (hook) pedal where the metal pin from the old version hooks into the pedal.

The advise for this setup is: DON'T buy aftermarket cables but go straight to your Peugeot dealer and order a genuine part.

I went through five differrent suppliers and none fitted properly, resulting in a stuck pedal.

DjB

Hey Merc...

You want all the pics I posted on AF if you plan on doing a clutch cable write up?

Chris

Sign in to follow this