• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mainline

Bleeding Brakes - Imperial Nuts..

mainline

I have been attempting to bleed the brakes on my 1.6 GTi for the last few nights. I have taken off the old beam, from my J plate 1991 and replaced it with a beam from I think a D plate phase 1.

I cannot get a spanner to fit the bleed screws on the rear hubs of the replacement beam. The ones from the beam I have taken off are 8mm and I have removed those plugs.

The one I can't undo is somewhere between 7 and 8mm. I am presuming its an imperial size. Its not 5/16 though I don't think, I'm pretty sure I tried a 5/16 and it was too big.

Looks like it could be 19/64" or 9/32" - but can't get hold of a spanner that size for love nor money.

Can anyone shed any light before I go completely insane. (and maybe lend me a spanner? :o )

jimistdt

I just did a search for 'nipple sizes' and unfortunately it only came up with this.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...l=brake++nipple

I think its what you need though....

I have been attempting to bleed the brakes on my 1.6 GTi for the last few nights. I have taken off the old beam, from my J plate 1991 and replaced it with a beam from I think a D plate phase 1.

I cannot get a spanner to fit the bleed screws on the rear hubs of the replacement beam. The ones from the beam I have taken off are 8mm and I have removed those plugs.

The one I can't undo is somewhere between 7 and 8mm. I am presuming its an imperial size. Its not 5/16 though I don't think, I'm pretty sure I tried a 5/16 and it was too big.

Looks like it could be 19/64" or 9/32" - but can't get hold of a spanner that size for love nor money.

Can anyone shed any light before I go completely insane. (and maybe lend me a spanner? :o )

James Stewart

It could be the flats have worn down over the years and it was 8 mm to begin with? Try an 8 mm 1/4 inch drive 6 sided socket to loosen it off. One of your spanners should be sufficient to nip up the bleed screw once bled and then tighten properly with the socket again.

James.

Baz

They're always an ar$ehole tbh, especially as the drum backplate is shaped so it makes it even harder to get anything on the nipple, unless it has the sticky-out nipples on, which then have more of a chance of breaking... :o

Tom Fenton

Unfortunately if it has pattern replacement wheels cylinders on (which is quite possible on any 205 as they are all at least 14 years old now) then the bleed nipple size is entirely dependant on how that particular pattern parts manufacturer was feeling that day!

If your 7mm socket doesn't quite fit CAREFULLY tapping it on with a hammer. Sometimes over the years a bit of built up crap and rust makes the hex size grow slighly!

mainline

Cheers for all the help, very prompt and useful as always. Nipple sizes thread was useful cheers jimisdtd. Gonna try to get some deep sockets on the way home. It felt like my 7mm socket might tap onto it, but it wasn't deep enough. Will get the wire brush out too.

Will let you know how I get on, parents are visiting tonight and taking me out for food so it might be another 48 hours. Fingers crossed.

Sign in to follow this