• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Anyone Ever Fitted This?!

wardy18
Wardy, the kit completely replaces the standard bits.

Excellent, ill get a kit ordered today, so this along with stew's l bracket bush kit an a re filled gearbox should get my gear changes sorted out, thanx all

wardy18

ok so everythin arrived today so i threw down so tea and got straight out in the garae :ph34r:)

the L bracket bush kit from stew is great, the bronze bushes too a little persuasion to get into the bracket which in turn made the sleeve unable to slide in but a little sandpaperin inside the bushes soon sorted this out for a very nice tight fit, very nice kit with no movement which shouldnt be there AT ALL in the l bracket, THANX STEW, good work and thanx for getting it to me well in time for mondays hillclimb

next came the X Sport gear lever pivot bush, looks like a great kit with the needle bearings BUT it seems this kit is actually for the L Bracket as the sleeve is far too big to fit inside the pivot, not a problem thou, i will simply get the pivot holt on the lever drilled out so the sleeve will fit, not a big job just need a pillar drill which i can get easy access to anyway and only needs not even 1mm bored out, once this is done i think it will sort this out brilliantly, i had SOOOOO much side to side movement at this pivot!!

see attatched

i am also tempted to make up a bracket that i can bolt down over the base of the gear lever which when moving the lever from left to right to engage 3rd the lever will hit the plate as far as 3rd so not allowing the lever to go any further right to engage 5th, this was i can be as brutal as i want in the change and not worry about hitting 5th?! ....

what u think?!

monty69

i have the xsport bearing kit fitted and its the best thing ive fitted on the ol 205. Im a bit worried about how it will hold up over time with dirt and moisture, i have used 2 locking nuts also as was worried about it coming loose. My advice is to apply lots of grease, adjust 1st nut by hand to eliminate play, then lightly nip up, fit a 2nd locking nut and clean/check for play every service

wardy18

did you have to drill out the bore of the the gear lever pivot to fit the sleeve in?!

and yeh definitely gonna use a second nut to secure it as there's not sprint washer or lock nut at all, jus what is in the pick above so could work its way loose!!

welshpug

AFAIK this bearing kit is for the L-linkage not the gearstick, did you read the instructions?

wardy18

yeh its got instructions with it but havent read the kit, this will still work with the gear lever pivot thou wont it? its looks like the kit can be adapted to fit the gear lever pivot too and would work great, like i said i just need to increase the bore of the pivot to allow the sleeve to slide inside!!

would you not recomened doin this?!

oh by the way what does AFAIK mean?!!

jackherer

As Far As I Know

tom_m
yeh its got instructions with it but havent read the kit, this will still work with the gear lever pivot thou wont it? its looks like the kit can be adapted to fit the gear lever pivot too and would work great, like i said i just need to increase the bore of the pivot to allow the sleeve to slide inside!!

would you not recomened doin this?!

as long as teh bearings are teh right size i don't see why not. you sound like you know what you're doing and its not hard to replace the gear lever if it all goes tits up. :angry:

it does strike me as slightly over engineered for a gear lever, but don't let that stop you! :D

wardy18

ok its all done and fitted, its not so so precise its unbeleivable!!

will se how it all performs monday at the hillclimb

thanx for all the help everyone

Sign in to follow this