• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Anyone Ever Fitted This?!

wardy18

Check this link out to the Comp Brake website:

http://www.compbrake.co.uk/PEUGEOT%20205%20ENGINE.HTM

Im having alot of trouble selecting 3rd when on a run at the hillclimb, keep hitting 5th or nothing at all so i need to sort this out asap as its ruining my runs.

these bronze bushes seem to be a starting point, a pair at the linkage plate (short shift) and a pair at the lower gear stick bushes

http://www.compbrake.co.uk/Peugeot%20Pipe%20Shield.htm

Would it be worth just gettin the bushes and keeping teh standard stick or goin for this stick aswel?!

ALSO

this can be got from ebay, it seems to be exactly what is shown on the Comp Brake website but they dont list it for the 205, whereas ebay does

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peugeot-106-Rally-Ca...86.c0.m14.l1318

let me know what you think is best!!

(ps i know Colin S does a system that he has made himself but i really dont have the money and this is just a short term fix for the rest of this season, i may contact Colin for his system for next year)

wardy18

i already run different linkage rods so they are fine

that bush kit from Stew looks good but thats only for the L bracket, would inot need some for the gear stick itself too as shown on comp brake!?!

i think ill have a look at what im running at the moment and see where the weaknesses are then go from there

James_R

More practice? :rolleyes:

Miles

The gearstick one's never really give any problems it's always the 'L' which is why Stew has made the kit for the 'L' which we have talked about allot, The bushes most people supply are just standard replacement's so you still get wobble inthe shift, You can rose joint everything if you want to including the ball that mount's onto the subframe but again this is not cheap

wardy18

ive just benn and checked and it seems its both ends, the stick moves a hell of alot at the point of the pivot bush which accounts for the bulk of the side to side sloppyness, this is also the biggest issue i have as this means moving accross from 2nd to 3rd isnt that accurate!! also yeh the L Bracket is wobbly too

so really i need both

are the bronze bushes going to be the same size etc for the L Bracket as they would be for the lever pivot?! if i can buy 2 kits and use them for each?!

or i can get the lever pivot bushes from Comp Brake and make my own centre sleeve to make sure its a snug fit?!

petert

That Comp Brake gear stick still has a ball! You're better off spending the money rose jointing everything.

B1ack_Mi16
depends how far you want to go... :o

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...st&p=837004

And may I add it all costed me just 17£ for the parts, (machining of the two needed metal bits was free as I did it myself at university, but anyhow..)

I believe my way must be better than the bronze bushes as I can pretension the bearings due to still having the standard plastic parts in there (which will slightly deform and put pretension on the whole bearing system).

Also using rollerbearings the change is very easy and smooth still when under great tension, which I can't believe the bronze ones would do, at least that was the whole problem with the plastic ones in the first place, tighten it too much and it would be firm but too hard to move around...

wardy18

the art of having access to and the expertise in how to use a machine shop, i dont even think we have one half decent over here, bugger!!

ill have to stick with stew's brive+sleeve for the L bracket and take apart the gear pivot to see what i can come up with (nothing quite as good a needle bearings thats for sure, wouldnt know where to start)

ill have to check my lickage rods, i know they have been changed but only to lengths of threaded bar i think so the ball joints can be adjusted easily, may look into Miles's kit he offers

alync406

Just seen these gear linkage bushes.For both the lever and the pivot on the subframe.Link

wardy18

yeh these are teh same as comp break do but i think the guys on here have said that the bolt that goes throu the middle of these bushes still allows for a certain amount of play so not much better really which is why Stew has done sleever for one he supplies, correct me if im wrong!

philfingers

if you get a new std pivot bolt (for the L bracket) you can use the compbrake bushes. I got mine from AB Motorsport for about £20 for the pair. You have to file the bushes down to fit to take in to account tolerances in the std kit.

Difficulties getting 3rd. Could be the box. If you've one of the shortened L brackets fitted you may find it's had too much taken out!

have a wade through http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z143/oilphiluk/ here and look at the sperical joints I fitted to the linkage on mine. Not great quality but it doesn't matter if they get serviced regularly. They cost me £3 each, so all in all £18 for the rose joints and the threaded bar was lying about. When I had the gear lever in the vice you'd be surprised how much the lever moves on the boss. In image 6640 you can see where I welded it up both sides. It makes a difference. With the bronze bushes the whole lot was £40

Phil

saveloy

I have bought a bell crank kit from X Sport. It consists of an alloy bush and a needle roller bearing kit. Surely this is the best way to go. As yet I've not fitted it.

wardy18
I have bought a bell crank kit from X Sport. It consists of an alloy bush and a needle roller bearing kit. Surely this is the best way to go. As yet I've not fitted it.

is this for the gear lever pivot or the L bracket?!

wardy18
if you get a new std pivot bolt (for the L bracket) you can use the compbrake bushes. I got mine from AB Motorsport for about £20 for the pair. You have to file the bushes down to fit to take in to account tolerances in the std kit.

Difficulties getting 3rd. Could be the box. If you've one of the shortened L brackets fitted you may find it's had too much taken out!

have a wade through http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z143/oilphiluk/ here and look at the sperical joints I fitted to the linkage on mine. Not great quality but it doesn't matter if they get serviced regularly. They cost me £3 each, so all in all £18 for the rose joints and the threaded bar was lying about. When I had the gear lever in the vice you'd be surprised how much the lever moves on the boss. In image 6640 you can see where I welded it up both sides. It makes a difference. With the bronze bushes the whole lot was £40

Phil

yeh i really need to do something about the gear lever pivot, i pulled away the rubber gaiter around it and you can see just how much the pivot moves side to side and this is teh side to side movement thats sending me into 5th and not 3rd, or at least not helping the situation!!

i like the sound of this needle roller bearing kit just to pack out the pivot a little but still allow free movement unlike a normal washer would!!

saveloy
is this for the gear lever pivot or the L bracket?!

It's for the L bracket.

Wardy, is your gearstick that wobbly? Would simply fitting new plastic caps not sort the situation?

projectpug

Hi,

I use to have this problem with my track car with changes from 2nd to 3rd being problematic and usually ending up in 5th. I decided to start with the easy things like fresh gearbox oil to the correct level and have since not looked back as i now rarely miss a change on whole track day:) . It could beworth a try as it doesnt cost a lot.

Phil

wardy18

yeh cool well i could probably do with draining it and refreshing it so ill drain it and top it up to the level hole

saveloy - where can i see this Bell crank kit, the X Sport website is pretty bland and cant find it on there?!

cheers

simon

welshpug

Wardy, ebay Item 260235334574 :P

wardy18

do you reckon this will do the job for the gear lever pivot?!

can it be used with bronze bushes too?!

saveloy

Nice one Welshpug, that's the one. It's called a 205 gear linkage bearing kit - £28.95.

wardy18

will definietly get one if if will solve the gear lever pivot problem, but like i asked, would this still work with a bronze bush kit too replacing the said plastic bushes?!

welshpug

the X-Sport kit does away with the plastic bushes AFAIK.

saveloy

Wardy, the kit completely replaces the standard bits.

Sign in to follow this