• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave_McC

Red Bumper And Side Trim Strips

Dave_McC

I'm in the process of tidying up the trim on my ph1.5 - used the grey plastic dye and the bumper's come up a treat, but the red trim strip in the bumper's got quite a few dents and dings in it. Can I remove the strip without damaging it (if so how?) and is there any way of removing the small dents and dings from it - or is it a case of replacing it.

The side trims also have quite a few dings - strips are removed but same problem - can they be fixed?

Cheers

Dave

Last Legend

Side red trims slide out and bumper trims 'pop' off with the help of a flat bladed screwdriver but a proper trim removal tool would be miles better,red trim can be cleaned up using T-Cut then polish,not sure about the dents probably can push them out from the inside but don't know for sure,when refitting them,take your time and slide them all on,front and rear bumper trims ARE different so mark one!I'm speaking from experince here!

Dave_McC

Cheers LL. Got the side trims out all right - it was the bumpers I wasn't sure about.

steve@cornwall
Cheers LL. Got the side trims out all right - it was the bumpers I wasn't sure about.

usually find that most dents can be taken out by lightly drawing a flat bladed screwdriver across the underside of the trim - obviously rest the trim on a soft, flat surface

Dave_McC

Cheers Steve - I'll give that a go. Had been using the handle of a 1/2" paintbrush in a similar fashion - seems to get the worst of the dents out but not all of it. Maybe I'm hoping for too much!

Sizeable ding in the rear bumper strip - so I'll have to try to remove that without damaging it further to press ding out.

Dave

Atari Boy

I have the rear bumper red strip off the bumper, I want to refit it. The clips are all okay but still in the bumper, should I attach them back to the red strip? I can't see how I can slide them all back on, but pushing them on might bend them.

djinuk

i only paid about £11 from pug for a new red bumper strip.

Atari Boy

Does that include the clips?

djinuk

nah the clips are extra i think

chrisj21

Yes you need to put the clips into the red strip first, there is a small cut out at each end to slide them into.

Roughly position them in the correct place along the strip and clip them to the bumper.

I found when i done Daz' (tesstuff) for him the old clips where a nightmare to get out of the bumper, may be worth sourcing some new ones from peugeot.

Hope that helps

Junosix

I've taken mine off to straighten-up/repaint them (they were beyond T-cutting) - are they actually cherry red or a different red? My car's cherry anyway so it probably won't matter if I colour-code, but still I'd like it to look "right". Were they originally glossy or matt?

Also! If I can't get the rear trim strip to bend out completely, is a standard 205 rear strip exactly the same?

HERMAN

Have you checked how much a new one is from the dealers. My local dealer wants about £10 for a new drivers door trim. Not sure if they come painted though.

djinuk

it cost be around £60/£80 for all the red strips all around the car new from pug along with new clips to fit them.

Junosix

Decided in the end to go for new Pug ones all around, so I could be sure I got the colour right - £75 plus another fiver for about 4 or 5 missing clips (!), and they're scuffed to s*it. Well - saying "scuffed to s*it" is a bit histrionic, they'll do, but for that kind of dosh I was expecting something that hadn't quite so obviously been kicking around in a storeroom for at least 10 years.

I'd recommend anyone else thinking about replacing them to perhaps sand down what you've already got and see what a £5 can of Halford's spray paint will do. I'd say the trim colour is actually a bit lighter than Cherry Red. However, they're very fragile, and if there's already loads of kinks in it, they are very difficult to get out.

You live and learn <_<

GLPoomobile
Decided in the end to go for new Pug ones all around, so I could be sure I got the colour right - £75 plus another fiver for about 4 or 5 missing clips (!), and they're scuffed to s*it. Well - saying "scuffed to s*it" is a bit histrionic, they'll do, but for that kind of dosh I was expecting something that hadn't quite so obviously been kicking around in a storeroom for at least 10 years.

I'd recommend anyone else thinking about replacing them to perhaps sand down what you've already got and see what a £5 can of Halford's spray paint will do. I'd say the trim colour is actually a bit lighter than Cherry Red. However, they're very fragile, and if there's already loads of kinks in it, they are very difficult to get out.

You live and learn :wacko:

It is annoying. I'm not sure how they store the individual parts (I know the smaller bits are sealed in bags), but the full kits come in a big flat box. But the problem is that the boxes are also too flimsy. So like you say, when they have been in storage for so many years it's inevitable that the boxes are going to get knocked about a bit, and you don't know what the condition of the parts until you open up the box and examine them. Really is a bgger that they are so flimsy.

Last time I got any was a couple of years ago. Got 2 full kits from Neat Autos for about £50 each. One of the boxes must have had a corner bent as one of the bumper trims was twisted on it's corner. I managed to bend it back but it wasn't perfect. I've still got the other box of trim, which is perfect. And no, I won't sell it <_<

Junosix

Hmm - just went out to fit the driver's door red trims and they're longer than the old ones! Only by about half a centimetre, but too long to fit. Have they given me wrong ones (309 GTI, maybe?) or am I expected to cut them or something? :)

Edited by Junosix