• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tesstuff

Headlights

Tesstuff

Why isnt there a Guide to all this somewhere for us novices?

Tom Fenton

It really is quite obvious, remove the grille then use your mince pies.

Tesstuff

Now Tom, thats what i mean, it is not obvious to have to remove a grill to change a headlight.

I have changed a headlight on past cars and the grill remained in situ.

So now you have informed me it isnt simple and obvious, i will remove the grill and see how obvious it becomes after that.

Many thanks

CaptainP

As Tom says quite obvious, grille off, undo the spring clips from the pivot pins, press the level adjuster arm from the ball.

welshpug

never removed the grille to do it myself! long nosed pliers help.

t16ryan

Long Screwdriver will be enough :rolleyes: With the grill left on

Baz

Just pull, hard.

When they come off you'll then see what you should've done.

GLPoomobile

Sometimes the grill needs to come off and sometimes not, it depends on the car. You all know these things aren't put together like a VAG vehicle!

If the inside edge of the headlight will clear the edge of the grill, then you can leave the grill in situ. If not, then the grill will have to come off............and that's when you have to get your drill out to tackle the rusted in screws/nuts.

djinuk

ive never removed the grill, and there is a book for newbies, its called haynes and is available at halfords & motor mania.

pug_ham

Download the Haynes manual from m@tt's signature.

Graham.

C_W

I removed my headlights countless times when I use it on track (to put in the headlight "ducts") and it takes a few seconds to remove and replace. I always leave the grill on and just use a small flat blade screw drive; just push the spring clip back and pull one side out and then do the other spring clip one at a time.

pug_ham
I always leave the grill on and just use a small flat blade screw drive; just push the spring clip back and pull one side out and then do the other spring clip one at a time.

Same here, I have caught the lens clips a couple of times on the indicator this way but once the headlamp is out they just clip back on so its no issue.

Graham.

Tesstuff

I did my headlights today , and yes they came out simple enough.

BUT

Now the nearside one has a large gap between itself and the indicator and at an angle, i think i might get problems when the jetwashing immigrants wash it each week , huge gap for water to go through and into the engine bay etc.

Bloody cars.

spikey_richie

Did you hook it back onto the adjustment arm properly? They have to have a positive clip both sides.

Tesstuff

Well....i did both sides identically...so they should look the same, they clearly dont.

Also, i didnt clip the ball joint type things in at the back of the lights, but i didnt clip both sides in , so thats not the reason.

I have to get my mechanic to fit my second starter motor in 12 months this week , so i will ask him to make good my efforts.

At least i tried :rolleyes:

pica.jpg

picb.jpg

picc.jpg

picd.jpg

Edited by Tesstuff

spikey_richie

If i'm around on Saturday/Sunday maybe you could pop over and we'll take a look. I'm not far from you (CV10)

Tesstuff

Hey that would be great , as i really want to see your Gentry anyway :o

I need my chrome strip putting in my rear bumper too, is that within your capabilities too LOL

I will have to get a new starter motor asap as its taking 5 or 6 attempts to start these days :P so i will still need to get in at the mechanics.

But sort a time over the weekend, as long as it doesnt clash with the HUGE footie match i will be there :blush:

spikey_richie

Lights and trim I can do, but not starter motor. Are you getting a diesel starter?

Tesstuff

I hadnt thought about it, i bought a new one last October, which is for the Gentry, but i am not really happy with it only lasting 11 months, so if a diesel one will give extra longevity then i will go for it.

I will bring my trim with me then, that will be great to have that back in :blush:

Do you have four excellent Gentry alloys and centre trims? I have mine and i wont ever use them, so a mix and match could be a possiblity if you are keeping it standard.

Just an idea :o

spikey_richie

I have 3 very good and 1 good rim, but no centre caps. I can't afford to buy anything atm as I'm getting married in less than 3 weeks, otherwise i'd have a set of speedlines for the winter and the gentry rims with caps for the rest of the year.

Diesel starters are a little stronger than a petrol starter, so start the engine sooner and with less effort. GSF run an exchange scheme, so you might be able to swap your dead (dying) one for a new (or re-con) diesel one.

Do you have all the clips for the trim?

Edited by spikey_richie

Sign in to follow this