• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bill

Cold Air Feed-grill/bonnet Vent

bill

On the odd hot day that we have had, i have noticed my car seems to struggle in the heat, the performance is no where near what it is on a nice cold day or even a normal day, i have decided i want to make some kind of cold air feed to the carbs to help it on hot days, i was originally thinking of making a cut out in the front of the bonnet, but someone suggested i just cut away at the front grill ( think it was welshpug ).

I presume a few of you have done this or similar, how have you done it, i would like to give it a neat finish if possible or do i just cut a big hole in the grill and be done lol

Post your pics up please for inspiration of modified bonnets and grills to aid air flow

mang

iv left my front grill on and drilled four holes in the bonit seems to work pritty well and dont look to bad either the trouble is every one asks me what are the holes for lol.

bill

have you got any pics mate?

NeilGTi85

I've just brought a set of morette headlights which I am going to duct air though the inner lights (one for induction and one for cooling). I have a GTi 6 which gets far hotter temps then the standard block's. I've run my car without the front grill and it makes a massive diffrence, you could try and make a custom grill and cut the backing plastic out to let more air in.....or get some morette's

Neil

tom_m
On the odd hot day that we have had, i have noticed my car seems to struggle in the heat, the performance is no where near what it is on a nice cold day or even a normal day, i have decided i want to make some kind of cold air feed to the carbs to help it on hot days, i was originally thinking of making a cut out in the front of the bonnet, but someone suggested i just cut away at the front grill ( think it was welshpug ).

I presume a few of you have done this or similar, how have you done it, i would like to give it a neat finish if possible or do i just cut a big hole in the grill and be done lol

Post your pics up please for inspiration of modified bonnets and grills to aid air flow

if you've got carbs then lowering the radiator should make a lot off difference, so its not pouring boiling hot air straight into them.

platty

Have you lowered your radiator?

:ph34r: Beat me too that one Tom

Edited by platty

pike_1.9cti

How easy is it to lower the radiator? Apart from buying the radtec one. :ph34r: also if when lowering it, is there a fairly cheap upgrade to replace existing one?

James_R

I'm sure tom will post pics ina sec, but takes abotu 20mins and £8 of stuff from B&Q to lower it, no need to upgrade it if it works fine as it is? Less you fancy the TD ones, but they're sooo heavy eh tom :ph34r:

Stu

Ive just made some mods to my bumper to get some air across my newly fitted oil cooler, it looks like this now..

31082008022.jpg

With a bit of ducting you could easily get this to feed the carbs id have thought mate, i run a vented autobonnet too but i havent got any pics on this comp, :ph34r: ill get some tonight and some with the bumper back on the car, im also using a self adhesive number plate on the bonnet.

Edited by Stu

Baz
if you've got carbs then lowering the radiator should make a lot off difference, so its not pouring boiling hot air straight into them.

But don't 'ram' the air into them. Carbs prefer static air.

James_R

Nice work Stu where did you get the mesh from?? been looking for something to cover over my chopped fog holes for a while now.

Stu

It was a 15" speaker grill from Maplins i chopped up James, i went to get the port (which is actually a speaker port btw :) ) and the grilles were next to them on the shelf.. So i thought it'd be rude not to really.. The sales guy looked at me a little funny when i told him what it was for.. :ph34r:

Complete sod to cut up though.. :o

tom_m
I'm sure tom will post pics ina sec, but takes abotu 20mins and £8 of stuff from B&Q to lower it, no need to upgrade it if it works fine as it is? Less you fancy the TD ones, but they're sooo heavy eh tom :ph34r:

couple of bits of 90 degree ali and a length of steel extruded box from b&q, a handful of nuts and bolts and with a little bit of work you've got something like this. yours wouldn't need to be quite so low, because you're not trying to get round an intercooler, the principle is the same.

don't worry about chopping the front panel out either, unless you're thinking of mainstream resale, its not structural in the slightest.

this is the best pic i've got on me, but can post more detailed ones later if you you want.

Image275.jpg

Edited by tom_m

Stu

Is that a cossie intercooler tom?

dirtdog

sorry to hijack/butt in.

tom_m. can you post up those more detailed pictures when you get the chance please?

and is that a 2wd cossie I/C? do you use a grille?

cheers!

matt-k

Ive noticed my car runs much better on a cold day too and was wondering if its possible to fit an intercooler to a non turbo engine? Or would it not flow enough air to the carbs??

Matt.

Fox
Ive noticed my car runs much better on a cold day too and was wondering if its possible to fit an intercooler to a non turbo engine? Or would it not flow enough air to the carbs??

Matt.

I think the only reason intercoolers are fitted to turbos is due to the fact the air is compressed, therefore is hotter than normal air. It just cools it back down to normal temperature

matt-k

Yeh, that makes sense, so an intercooler wont make the warm summer air cold then..

Cheers.

Sign in to follow this