• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Spiky

205 With Audi 20v Turbo

guffe
no, 1.8 4 cylinder.

...but a 5 cyl at the back seat would be much much more fun.

James_R

Just have to measure up and see if the Vag driveshafts slide inside the hollow section of Gti6 or 406 driveshafts to see how easy it would be, not a bad idea providing there's space on the MC ;)

taylorspug
exactly, its all bollox,

mine was recently on track with a stripped caged, mi16 on jenveys, and trust me nothing in it :) and i mean nothing, straights and corners, we were identical :D

Thats a massively sweeping statement dont you think? The whole issue of weight distribution, especially over the nose of a 205, can hardly be regarded as 'all bollox'. Equally comparing it to a different car with a different driver on track isnt really a fair test. If you had driven a few diffferent 205s with various engine setups you would see what a dramatic effect weight distribution has. Im in a reasonably priviledged position in that ive driven an xs, a GTI, an MI converted GTI, and now '6 converted GTI all with pretty much the same suspension on (same shocks and springs etc) . The xs had the GTI wishbone setup on the front and GTI rear beam, this exact setup, shocks and all was then transferred to my GTI when i got it 4-5 years ago.

Even the jump from an xs to 8v GTI is massive in terms of the way the car copes with the weight, the xs turned in quicker, the steering felt sharper, it was much better at changing angle mid corner and was altogether a better handling car. In all honesty the same kit on the heavier GTI dissappointed me.

Then having just changed from an MI to a GTI6 engine the weight issue went even further, the car started understeering mid corner, the outside edge of the tyres were getting ripped to shreds, steering got ALOT heavier. All with the same kit on it as before. This forced my change to coilovers in order to make the car handle both corners and its tyres properly again. Im pleased with the engine as its obviously rid me of the oil surge that was holding back the MI lump, but the handling left a slightly bitter after taste.

bluespanner
there was a mk3 clio running one of those engines.

I'v seen that, a matt black one? It belongs to a friend of a friend, local to us. Its supposed to be running about 470bhp, and the drivers seat weighs less than a bag of sugar!

Richie-Van-GTi

Sorry to be a pessimist but I nearly LOL'd when I seen reliability thrown into the mix regarding 20vt's. They are a bad engine for dropping valves which kills the engine and turbo spectacularly.

Yes it can be tuned easily and cheaply to silly power but they are not what I would class as a reliable engine.

Other than that, dont see any reason it wouldnt fit in the front of a 205, even sorting the mounts wouldnt be too hard although they are a good bit wider than an XU engine and box. Driveshafts may ....just may be OK to use with GTi outer cv pots as they do look similar when stripped but I havent had them side by side to confirm this.

Wiring would be interesting but not impossible, just need to work in the transponders etc for the ecu assuming your going standard management route. Also gear linkages shoulnt be hard as they should be running a twin cable set up.

applemobile
wouldnt want to use a PSA box :lol:

5th valve is exhaust

Sign in to follow this