• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
d-9

Qep Manifold Wedge - How Have You Sealed Yours?

d-9

Im running a MI with the QEP manifold angling wedge and its been blowing for a while...turns out most of the bolts are undone :)

So I figure now is a good time to seal it back on, but was wondering what people have used to seal the wedge against the block and manifold and how sucessfull its been?

As far as I can see the options are:

Sealent on both joins

Gasket on both joins

Gasket on one, sealent on one

gti_al

peter taylor recommended copper sealant on both sides of his. Seems to be working fine

Baz

Yup, loctite 5920, Halfords sell it. :ph34r:

taylorspug

QEP reccomend sealant for the plate onto the head, then normal manifold gasket IIRC.

jim205GTI
QEP reccomend sealant for the plate onto the head, then normal manifold gasket IIRC.

Aye that's what i done on mine, no blows when i have turned it over and left running on drive .... ;)

Just fiddly doing the studs up...... :ph34r:

boldy205

2 genuine Pug gaskets, one on each side, worked fine on my car.

sorr

Also check the bots are not bottoming out before pulling everything tight. I had to give mine a quick trim and have used loctite copper sealant, although it is not tested as I am yet to bolt the downpipe back on.

petert

do you have tapered washers that match the angle of the plate? Without the clamping force from the studs/nuts is not perpendicular and they'll continue to come loose.

Edited by petert

d-9

Yeh, im using the correct bolts (just ordered a bunch more as i'd lost a couple). Turns out the problem was the bolts were bottoming out in the holes, but I'd put so much copper grease on it, I hadnt noticed the washers were rattling around and it wasnt clamping up. Going to shorten the bolts a little and use spring washers and it should be fine! Still not decided if im going to use gaskets or sealent, any ideas how hot an exhaust manifold gets?

Alastairh

Personally id use the the gaskets, and smear a touch of sealant on aswell (Don't need much mind).

If anything it helps doing exhaust manifold gaskets on 8 valves when all the studs aren't in.

Al

Sign in to follow this