• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mattmk1

1.9 And 1.6 Box Combo, Which Bits Best?

mattmk1

Hi, the box blew up in my mi last week, i was running a be3 1.6 box. Personally i thought 1st was useless, and motorways were a joke as 70mph was 4k rpm . Lying in the workshop in bits i have a be3 1.6 box and a be1 1.9 box with a smashed casing. What gear/FD combos would you use for a fast road mi that gets some motorway miles?

Cheers

BTW have used the search but most threads rave about the 1.6 box, i love 2nd and 3rd but the other gears are a waste of time imo.

Baz

Out of the 2 you have, the 1.9 gearset with the 1.6 FD. ;)

pug_ham

The only difference from the 1.6 ratio's & the 1.9 box are first gear & the final drive, all the rest are the same.

Sounds to me like you like the Mi gearbox for the motorway miles but that has an even shorter first & second than the 1.6 box.

Graham.

mattmk1
The only difference from the 1.6 ratio's & the 1.9 box are first gear & the final drive, all the rest are the same.

Sounds to me like you like the Mi gearbox for the motorway miles but that has an even shorter first & second than the 1.6 box.

Graham.

Yeh so putting the 1.6 fd on a 1.9 will only really give me a slightly longer first, and tiny tiny amount longer 2nd? Has anyone tried the 1.6 box with 1.9 FD ? Should be basically same as a straight 1.9 box? With 1st being between 1.6 and 1.9 extremes?

The engines freshly rebuilt and very strong and pulls like a steam train to the limiter, you just get the sense that at present, the engines working hard but your not really getting anywhere. Hard to explain but i should be moving faster for the way the engine spins up.

pug_ham

Fitting a 1.6 FD to a 1.9 will only give you a slightly longer first gear as thats the only one thats different between the two, all the rest of the gears will be exactly the same as a 1.6 gearbox.

Fitting the 1.9 FD to a 1.6 gearbox will just result in a shorter first gear on the 1.9 gearbox, again, all the rest of the ratio's will be the same as using a 1.9 gearbox.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this