• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Foltan

Oh B0ll0cks!

Foltan

I've just snapped a wheel bolt off, presumably by overtightening it, so i'm proper annoyed with myself now!!

What do i do next?! am i going to have to take the hub off and change it?!! argggh :)

How bad is it to drive on three bolts for now?

jimistdt

Drill the bugger out.

Personally I wouldnt drive on three bolts, but thats your call. :)

welshpug

depends on the condition of the threads, but you should be able to unwind the remains once you take the wheel and disc off.

damn good going to snap a wheelbolt, they're only meant to be done up to 85Nm!

Edited by welshpug

M@tt

has it sheared flush with the hub? if not can you remove the wheel and get some molegrips/stilsons on the bit left sticking out and unscrew it.

if its sheared off flush then you'll need to drill it out, make sure you start with a flat surface (anglegrind it flat) and use a centre punch so that your hole doesn't go off on the piss when you start drilling. Start with a small hole and get bigger. if you've got an old socket allen or torx bit you could hammer that into the hole you drilled once its big enough and use that to unscrew the bolt remains

i would say you could probably to it with it still on the car if your careful and take your time

Matt

Baz

You're practically driving on 3 bolts anyway when you run a locking wheel nut, as IMO they're not doing much...

You'd have to be going some to snap a bloody wheel bolt though Ian!! :) :)

Edited by Baz

number2301

You can drive around fine on 3 wheel nuts, I did for a while.

miamistu
You're practically driving on 3 bolts anyway when you run a locking wheel nut, as IMO they're not doing much...

Surely that's only with crappy ones?

Baz

Well yes, more so than good ones, but i'm not a believer in wanging them up tight anyway tbh.

C_W

A locking must be doing something otherwise it'd be loose.

I'd not advise drilling it out as it shouldn't need to be as when the wheels off there's no tension on the thread so it should be possible to just pick it out.

Baz

Yes nipped up so it doesn't come undone, but i don't do them up like i do wheel bolts.. 60NM or so.

Foltan

Cheers all for your replies. Yeah i went back to it when i'd 'de-stressed' and took everything off. There was still a tiny bit sticking out which i didn't expect to be any use but it actually came out quite easily with mole-grips; i guess that's logical as there shouldn'y be much resistance.

I'm happier now :D

Yeah it was rather foolish to snap it off, i've never done them up with a torque wrench (i don't have one anyway) so it's probably a bit stupid of me, i tend to just do them up a bit over-tight with a big bar :) I've learnt my lesson.

I blame it on a dodgy bolt anyway :);)

hodgy

id buy a new hub as its easier

MerlinGTI
id buy a new hub as its easier

but £140 more expensive than undoing the sheared off bolt with grips. Not including a new bearing and getting them pressed out/in etc..

I drove like a madman on 3 bolts for a year (was on the rear mind)

DamirGTI

Weld an nut on top of the bolt remains trough the nut hole stringing the arc on the bolt remains (but do it precisely , and with an MIG welder ).. and then you'll be able to undo the nut together with the bolt remains out ..

Rgs !

Damir

Baz

Has everyone missed something, he's got it out!! ;)

28CRAIG
;)

Bonzai

if there was enough stud showing you wind on 2 nuts and then loosen the first one which will unwind the stud ;)

Foltan

haha i've never had such keeness to help with a problem before! Even after i say i've got it out, people want to help :lol:

DamirGTI

...sorry chaps :lol: i didn't see the post on top :wub:

Rgs ! :(

Damir

Bonzai

well its all useful stuff for other people to know and will be a helpful topic now for people searching for things like remove snapped stud or extract broken bolt you see :lol:

Sign in to follow this