• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pugnut

Oil Leak

Pugnut

at the weekend i set about reducing the amount of oil the front half of my 205 spits on the floor. 2 new driveshaft oil seals and fresh box oil has done the trick there but i was getting a fair few drips off the sump . cleaning up revealed most of the sump leaking. Now i know you guys will shoot me down for not removing and resealing , but the sump bolts were pretty loose, some only hand tight. I set my torque wrench to 6 lb-ft and gave them a nip up. After a short spin the leaks had reduced greatly. I set the wrench to 8lb ft and tested again to find all leaks gone (and still after 100 miles or so) except for 1 small drip on the lip of the sump at the gearbox end.

Now with the flywheel inspection cover off its hard to see if its coming out of the sump/spacer plate or coming down from the crankshaft oil seal.

My question is this: Has anyone noticed that if when their crankshaft oil seal is leaking that it only leaks once the engine is off? Trouble is it doesnt leak at all with the engine on and stays bone dry for as long as you are driving or letting it tick over. As soon a switch the engine off then i get at the most 2 drips of engine oil. Struggling to see if its sump/plate or higher up at the seal. I've had no problems with slipping clutches either.

cheers, Al

Pugnut

ok, so after todays mot failing for faulty horn which was working yesterday and 2 rear tyres on the limit which were checked by a tyre garage yesterday and found to be 2mm. Not bad for a 20 year old car i guess (but i have done a fair bit of work to it though) . Back on subject i had an advisory of an oil leak which i have been keeping an eye on and has up till now just been a drip nopw and again . Well its now pissing out :)

my question is i dont think i have ever done any clutch work etc with the engine in. can i get the box off completely by removing n/s driveshaft etc support engine , remove some crap up above and engine mount and i'll get the box out far enough to clear the input shaft ?

CosKev

Pretty sure the crank seal will only leak when engine is running,cause I think the oil level when static is lower than the seal :)

It could be pissing out now cause of you tightening up sump bolts.

Whip sump off and spacer plate,gaskets are only a few quid from GSF.

I used a gasket between sump and spacer and a gasket between spacer and block,cause I don't like the standard just sealer set up :)

Also use thread lock on your sump bolts B)

DamirGTI
My question is this: Has anyone noticed that if when their crankshaft oil seal is leaking that it only leaks once the engine is off? Trouble is it doesnt leak at all with the engine on and stays bone dry for as long as you are driving or letting it tick over. As soon a switch the engine off then i get at the most 2 drips of engine oil. Struggling to see if its sump/plate or higher up at the seal. I've had no problems with slipping clutches either.

cheers, Al

Interesting , aim having same oil leak issues here :) i've done sump 2 times so far in various "style" , with sealant and gasket , then dry just with OE gasket without sealant (on the sump to spacer base ..) ... tried with various tightening torques also , but it still drips from somewhere near the flywheel ?!? (however not so much ..) , and yes it appears that it leaks only when the car stands still , with engine switched off .. with the engine running i can't spot not a single drop ..

I also tried with less oil in the sump (closer to the MIN mark..) but it's still the same .. on the end i just give up chasing this symptoms ..

Just to add , i've fully rebuild this engine not so long ago with new mechanical parts including all the engine gaskets and new OE seals - crankshaft oil seals (both of them the big one one the flywheel side and the smaller one on the timing belt side , driveshaft seals , camshaft seal , 1-st crank bearing cap sealing stripes etc. etc. )

I wonder if it's possible that the entire sump base (or the spacer plate) is a little bit distorted ? hence why it can't seal up properly ...

Let me know if you find what causes this :)

Rgs ! B)

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

DamirGTI
my question is i dont think i have ever done any clutch work etc with the engine in. can i get the box off completely by removing n/s driveshaft etc support engine , remove some crap up above and engine mount and i'll get the box out far enough to clear the input shaft ?

Yes :) , as you've said just remove both driveshafts (if you wish you can just undo the arms from the hub carrier and pull entire wheel assembly with dirveshaft still attached to the hub out from the gearbox ...it's faster/easier this way ..) , support the engine from underneath , undone all the gearbox to engine bolts , then the top gearbox mount and with a little bit of pulling back/up/down/sideway motions it'll be out .. remove it out from underneath of the car ..

On refitting the gearbox back i could advise you that you seek assistance cos sometimes it's a little bit harder when you need to lift the gearbox up by yourself and move it left/right up/down in order to center the input shaft so that it enters fully inside the crank/clutch assembly .. it's easier if you can occupy a mate during the refitting , while he raise up the box from underneath you can grab the box with your hands from the above and manoevre with it around as needed in order to center the input shaft so that it can be pushed all the way back inside ..

Damir :)

Pugnut

ok, so quite a big obvious leak on the oil cooler sandwich plate was an easy fix , but not convinced of the back crank oil seal i removed the sump and spacer plate and resealed it .As i guessed I still have the same the same leak and the last time i stopped the engine there was a decent run of oil down the flywheel. So without a shadow of a doubt the back crank oil seal has had it :unsure::( :(

bummer.

DamirGTI

Could be this sealing stripes on the 1-st crank bearing cap also :unsure: :

2667793369165ec772333f61f8a1c1131170cf6.jpg

2667792fdc588532297e2a507120a8e1ff4fab8.jpg

.. however i have all this stuff replaced roughly last year and it still drips out a bit form somewhere near the flywheel :( ..

Damir

CosKev

Did you use thread lock/seal on the flywheel retaining bolts?????

These go straight through into crank case area :)

DamirGTI

Yes , i did apply thread locking compound on the flywheel bolts and also on the clutch plate bolts .. :)

Damir :D

Pugnut

spent most of today replacing the oil seal . seems like after a good drive and a double check theres no more oil leaks ! hurraaay

CosKev
spent most of today replacing the oil seal . seems like after a good drive and a double check theres no more oil leaks ! hurraaay

Nice one B)

Fingers crossed :)

Just changed every seal and gasket on my engine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/cosk...ti/100_2588.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/cosk...ti/100_2585.jpg

:D

Sign in to follow this