• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NeilGTi85

Soda Blasting?!

Mandic

Haven't done it, but would rather use CO2 (dry ice) blasting, very useful for removing stuff, only rust is a bit hard to remove. Sand must be used for that.

Cheers

Ziga

gti-si

Isn't Soda CO2?

Mandic

I believe soda is short for sodium (bi)carbonate NaHCO3 or Na2CO3 respectively, but I guess they use bicarbonate, which is nothing else but baking soda.

Cheers

Ziga

mattmk1
I believe soda is short for sodium (bi)carbonate NaHCO3 or Na2CO3 respectively, but I guess they use bicarbonate, which is nothing else but baking soda.

Cheers

Ziga

The buisness next door to us had a hilman imp shell soda blasted. Looked good when done, removed all paint etc but took fecking ages. Softer than sand though so didnt distort the body panels like sandblasting would. And its expensive.

Depends what you want blasting really! Entire cars i think work out too expensive.

In fact just looked at their website and the imp on the homepage is the car my neighbours had done, its photod inside their workshop! .

Edited by mattmk1

Redtop

I got my auto test mini done by this way. £500 for the whole car for me. At least a days work. It doesn't lift the rust out of the metal like sandblasting though. You can use it on panels on cars but beware it weakens them especially a large bonnet. You can leave them in bare metal for up to 2 months and it doesn't rust suprisingly. Here's my mini

DSC00509Medium.jpg

DSC00510Medium.jpg

I'd recommend shot/sandblasting underneath engine bay etc if it's rusty at all and then sodablast the panels if you want a full bare metal job. Otherwise get a bodyshop to flatten it back by person/machine. My dad had a bad experience with the spl firm and wouldn't recommend that acid dipping process at all. The damage caused wasn't worth it in the end.

Sign in to follow this