• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ANDYMISIXTEEN

Bonnet Catchin Carbs

johnnyboy666

i think an auto bonet would be the best looking option, or you could try raising the back of the bonnet a little but that looks a little strange and might not be enough movement to solve the problem. which bit of the bonnet is catching? because if its just one of the frame type bits you could cut a bit off?

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Im not sure where its catching, rang him 2day and he said he wanted to try sort it out before i can collect the car, which is Monday now :D Been there nearly 2 weeks :). He said its alrit on the catch but when its down properly it revs to about 2000rpm.

Daz_C

If its that much of a problem and you don't want to fork out on an auto bonnet + spraying etc you could get throttle linkage kit thats fits on the underneath of the carbs.

Like these

base-1

Underneath linkage is the way to go. It might even be the same, just with an angled bracket that holds it away from the carbs...

johnnyboy666

i had one of those types of linkage for my carbs which i was going to use (before they got stolen) and it seemed a bit weird to me, cant remember why exactly, but it didnt seem quite right, although i never got it onto the car so it may be fine

base-1

The one you have at the moment looks like a genuine Weber one, which is the best option. If you can mount it underneath that would be the best option

Daz_C

As Base said the one you have is a genuine weber one, And most/99% of it is used to mount the linkage underneath if you want to do it that way. From memory you need 1 or 2 differently handed parts for it to work. I'll have a look if I have the fitting instructions laying around which shows both fitting options. I'll see if its got the part No's required listed or I can photo copy it and post it to you unless you have it already ?

The one you have linked too on ebay is the same as the one my mate has on his MkII. It does the job but I don't know if it would cure your bonnet catching issue.

The linkage kits are listed as Top Mount or Bottom Mount kits so I'm pretty certain you can't just swap them from top to bottom.

Edited by Daz_C

GTI6BOY

Just cut away the bonnet frame away, very easy just use an angle grinder

Alastairh

The auto bonnet really has the bulge in the wrong place a.k.a.at the rear of the bay rather than the front.

As GTi6boy said. Just trim a small section out the frame.

MrG

I take it by trimming you mean the sound proofing part that is fitted to the u/s of the bonnet?

jimistdt

No, they actually mean to remove some of the square section that runs on the underside of the bonnet.

PVFCpug

yep, thats the way to go.

NO underfelt with Carb's, just gets in the way. Mine has about a eight inch section of the framework cut out to accomodate throttle linkage.

monty69

My 45dcoe 16v catched on the linkage with twm maniold. I have one of them cheap linkages and the auto bonnet raised on locking pins for now as couldnt raise it enough on standard catch! I will be geting a jenvey manifold and weber linkage when im quids in. I have put masking tape under bonnet to make sure it isnt catchin since

boldy205

I groud away part of the linkage on mine, and now just about clears the bonet.

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Got any pix of where you made the cuts? Hopefuly getting the car back 2mrw.

MrG

I'd be interested in a few pics of this type of mod to.

boldy205

For the linkage you meen? I have a top mount linkage, on the vertical rod that pushes on the throttle spindles i just filled a lump on this and all was good. The best way to see whats touching is put a dob of greese on the parts you suspect, close the bonnet slowly and re open, look on the underside of the bonnet to see where the grease is, and which component fouls. HTH

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Got my car back now, the rolling road guy filled the top off the linkage off but is still catching even with the bonnet fully extended up. The springs on the linkage are touching the bonnet brace but the top of the linkage is hitting the main bonnet panel.

When i was driving to get parts earlier the thorttle stuck open and kept doing it all the way home, it was doing it with the bonnet open to.

S7003782.jpg

S7003783.jpg

S7003785.jpg

base-1

Make sure everythings straight, particularly the 2 cable runner bits that get pulled by the throttle pedal - they could be catching on the rod going down in between where the socket joint screws on (I think that makes a bit of sense)

And then take the grinder to the bonnet!

boldy205

you say its sticking on throttle even when the bonnet is up??!! So its not the bonnet then?

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Is stuck open yesterday, but hasnt done it 2day. I was reving up when the bonnet was fully closed. Ill have to keep an eye on it.

Sign in to follow this