• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
S13Nick

Timing Marks Won't Line Up

S13Nick

well i have replaced the head gasket on my 2.0l 8v turbo and went to put new cam belt on and and the timing marks don't line up it will line up at the bottom but at the top its like 1-2mm out, the are so close to lining up, but the valve on 1 and 4 is just touching the piston, its like 1-2 teeth out, i don't understand! i cant think what it could be, the head has had new valve stem seals in and put back together correctly, the shims are all in the correct places, does anybody have any ideas beause its really annoying me!

thanks

welshpug

what kind of crank pulley does it have?

did they line up before you took the belt off?

S13Nick

the standard one, yep they did thats why i dont understand soooo annoying

mattmk1
the standard one, yep they did thats why i dont understand soooo annoying

Did youhave the head skimmed? Andof course is the new belt correct - same number of teeth as your old un as parts suppliers are rubbish at giving you the right part!!

mrswampy

Yep id say either the head has being skimmed too far

or

you have the wrong belt

im fairly sure depending on age the gti6 either has 136 or 137 teeth

the differance between them would only be a few mill

check the teeth numbers on old and new

S13Nick

its the timing marks on the pulleys! that don't line up, no the head has not been skimmed!

ablister
Yep id say either the head has being skimmed too far

how much metal do you think actually comes off when getting head skimmed???

its the timing marks on the pulleys! that don't line up, no the head has not been skimmed!

you should lock the pulleys with the timing pins before you put the belt on and see how you get on.

S13Nick

i havent put the belt on because the timing marks dont line up on the pulleys, it wont allow me to line them up for some stupid reason!

ablister

are you saying the engine locks up when you try turn the top or bottom pulley

pugman211

pulleys on the right way? inlet on exhaust kinda thing, If the vavle is touching piston surely something is missing somewhere?

ablister

this is an 8v, only 1 cam pulley

pugman211

ooops!! for some reason thought it was gti-6 engine?????

alync406

If you can't turn the camshafts,because the valves are touching the pistons turn the crankshaft back a bit so the pistons are down the cylinders - not at tdc.Then line up the marks on the cams and when they are right line up your crank.

S13Nick

ive tried everything.. and it just wont work! its like its been skimmed to much, or the headaskets to thin..... there has to be reason why it wont work

Miles

What position is the keyway in the crank? As just because it lined up before removal doesn;t mean but it's unlikely the pulley has sliped which they do often, Try finding a solid 8v one and try it with that

S13Nick

ok i will do. just confused the s**t out of me. and abit annoying spending so much money and the conversion is nearly done

ablister

when xu engines are timed up, all pistons are level leaving the vales in a 'safe' mode

Sign in to follow this