• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dino20vt

Rear Beam Unseizing

dino20vt

Ive got a mate with a 205 with no internet access, and me with only partial access (phone) so im propably asking a question thats been answered a hundred times but the search facility doesnt work on my phone.

Basically his 205 has been stood for two years and the o/s trailing arm has seized in the compressed position, any ideas on how to unseize it?

Thanks

jonnie205

unbolt beam from car, strip it down, throw tube in the skip, source new tube, rebuild beam, fit beam to car

dino20vt

In a nutshell!

WD40 no good then, beam rebuilding costs a fortune, not really viable on his £200 car!

welshpug

rebuilt beams don't cost that much, but when compared to a £200 205 even a service is expensive!

dino20vt
rebuilt beams don't cost that much, but when compared to a £200 205 even a service is expensive!

Very true, his intention was always to get it back on the road and restore it but his daily driver has just blew its engine and the £200 205 only needs the trailing arm unseizing for 12 months ticket.

Is it easy enough to have access to the bearings to unseize?

Miles

No there's no acess unless you drill holes in the tube and fill it with Derv oil, But If it's that bad it's only really ft for scrap and driving around on it, well I hate to think.

taylorspug

Now i have heard that rocking the car in reverse with the handbrake still on will unseize a beam (it was posted on here as it goes). But certainly dont quote me on that, and as someone who rebuilds alot of beams id never do it myself!

If its just seized through not being used the tube may well be ok and you could get away with a couple of new trailing arms and bearings.

dino20vt
No there's no acess unless you drill holes in the tube and fill it with Derv oil, But If it's that bad it's only really ft for scrap and driving around on it, well I hate to think.

When you say tube do you mean the big yellow thing that joins the two sides?

When drilling should I drill near the ends?

Drilling sounds a bit drastic but could be the last resort but is there anywhere WD40 could penetrate ie where the arms meet the tube?

Now i have heard that rocking the car in reverse with the handbrake still on will unseize a beam (it was posted on here as it goes). But certainly dont quote me on that, and as someone who rebuilds alot of beams id never do it myself!

If its just seized through not being used the tube may well be ok and you could get away with a couple of new trailing arms and bearings.

Its been sat for two years and had been reconditioned not long before that, I dont know much about rear beams but surely if a bearing isnt worn just dry lubing it should hopefully release it?

jackherer

The dry bearings will probably have rusted into the trailing arm shafts which will leave them pitted.

dino20vt
The dry bearings will probably have rusted into the trailing arm shafts which will leave them pitted.

Its only a tempory fix to get it moted, we'll eventully source a used item or refurbish the one one the car

philfingers

I've got beam in bits which is very good, pics here http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z143/oi...Sale/?start=all images 8601 to 8606, I'm after £80 for it BUT I'm in Alaska for another few weeks yet (it's missing TBs and ARB and few fasteners)

If you are going to strip it leave it on the car to start with. Up on stands, use a blowtorch on the torsion bar ends and antiroll bar screws, nuts etc to get some heat into them before trying to get them off.

Use a long bar (I use a piece of 20mm box section steel 4 ft long) to knock the arms off from the opposite side. Much easier if it's still on the car.

I recently sold a very good 309 beam, rebuilt for £165. You can get something ready to bolt on for a sensible price, probably not worth trying to sort the one you have for that sort of money

Phil

dino20vt
I've got beam in bits which is very good, pics here http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z143/oi...Sale/?start=all images 8601 to 8606, I'm after £80 for it BUT I'm in Alaska for another few weeks yet (it's missing TBs and ARB and few fasteners)

If you are going to strip it leave it on the car to start with. Up on stands, use a blowtorch on the torsion bar ends and antiroll bar screws, nuts etc to get some heat into them before trying to get them off.

Use a long bar (I use a piece of 20mm box section steel 4 ft long) to knock the arms off from the opposite side. Much easier if it's still on the car.

I recently sold a very good 309 beam, rebuilt for £165. You can get something ready to bolt on for a sensible price, probably not worth trying to sort the one you have for that sort of money

Phil

Sounds like a good price mate, I'll let my mate know.

First though to get through the MOT we'll try drenching it in wd40 and reversing with the handbrake on!

dino20vt

Tried the above, wouldnt budge!

Drilled the tube, again the wd40 came out and we filled it, still no difference.

Whats the easiest, cheapest way to access the bearings?

welshpug

strip the trailing arms out, doesnt cost a penny if you have the tools, though it might cost you in parts as its unlikely to go back together if it's seized.

gazzamec

tried to get my seized arm off today aswell, the actual tube from the arm had seized in to the cross tube and my persuasion witha sledge just pulled the arm clean ff the shaft, now its stuck and so am i.

gonna pop down the breakers see what theyve got, maybe thats the best thing for you to try too.

dino20vt

My mate tried a scrap yard today, a month ago they had two 309s, today none! (Apparently stardard 309 beams are basically the same other than discs/thinner torsion bar OR anti roll bars not sure which) I think we're more likely to source a cheap standard 309 beam than a 205 gti unit.

philfingers

gazzamec

I still have my beam for sale as linked above and home from the states on Friday if you're interested. It's in Halesowen

PM me if interested,

Phil

jonnie205

i can build you up a beam if you want, have all bits in stock inc gti tubes

Tesstuff

What is your price Johnny ?

The price i would want a quote for is, drive down to you, you take this beam off, put a refurbed one on and i drive home after putting currency into your hands :D

Sign in to follow this