• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dan Ingram

Sill Repair

Dan Ingram

The rust has been creeping through on the drivers side rear sill for a while now and I've been meaning to get round to sorting it. I thought it was just a bit of surface rust that I could grind off treat and repaint but on closer inspection its ALOT worse. I gave it a quick run over with the sand blaster to remove the paint and surface rust which revealed some filler so I removed that to find that a bead of black silicone type stuff had been run down the full length of the rear quarter. As far as I'm aware that shouldn't be there, am I right?

DSC01362.jpg

DSC01361.jpg

Inside

DSC01364.jpg

So.... I'm now left with a gap between the rear quarter and the sill. What do I do with it? I'd like to do it properly so I don't have to re do it in 6 months and bodywork isn't my strong point. I can weld and have pretty much every tool under the sun so doing it myself isn't a problem, I'm just unsure of the proper way to sort it. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and it could be handy for other members as I know this is a common problem.

Dan Ingram

I read through that topic already. Did yours have a bead of sealer running down from the door to the arch? Is the quarter panel not meant to be joined to the sill in some way other than sealer? Also you rear quarter panel seems to be intact apart from the bit at the rear. How do I go about replacing the bit of missing panel thats on show?

GLPoomobile

When you look down inside the rear quarter from inside the car you should see about 3 spot welds holding the wing to the sill. It's then filled with Tigerseal type stuff on the outside.

Given how rotten it is, plus the filler, I'm wondering if it's had an impact at some point that has split the panel from the sill. It's obviously been badly repaired at some point no matter what the circumstance. My old 1.9 had been rear ended, and both quarters had been repaired by using a run of white silicone sealer along the inside of the panels. Eventually it gave out and the panels used to creak and come apart, and I could get a finger in between. Even then the rot wasn't that bad though!

welshpug

usual cause of rot here is the rear 1/4 seals leaking, but if the sealer was black I don't think it would be original sealer, that tends to be grey or white.

got the same repair to do to mine eventually :) my sill is solid though

Dan Ingram

As far as I can tell it looks like waters been sat in the bottom for a long time and just been left there and at some point someones had a go and bodging it. The tiger seal type stuff must be the black silicone stuff I pulled out. The welds must have rotted away at some point though. At least I know that stuffs meant to be there now, thanks :)

Miles

I would cut that out, Remove the tank as I bet you'll find the same sort of rust behind that, I car I scraped the other week (205 gti) had a small patch of rust in the same area, I jack it up the the sill well gave way and the car sat still and it reviled allot of rust

Dan Ingram

I had it up on the ramp last week and had a good look round where the tank is and there are no signs of rust at all there, its just this bit of rust on the entire car :rolleyes:

Fox

Mine is similar, although hopefully not as bad. It appers to have just split the seam and paintwork, I really need to get it sorted before winter comes around though!

What sort is seam sealer is suitable to use?

Tom Fenton

Any decent PU flexible seam sealer will do, the main thing is to ensure the surface is clean and dry before you apply it to make sure it bonds properly to the metalwork. I used some Wurth stuff when I did the repair to the white car but any decent gear from a refinishing factor will do.

Dan Ingram

I've been doing some more poking and scraping today and found more problems :) . I think the best option to repair the damage I've shown in the pictures is to do something similar to what mickie did (the second link) and use a repair section. The problem is that there is another bit of rot on the same panel but to the back of the car. The rear quarter has been replaced at some point just badly fitted. Is it going to be easier to fit a complete new rear quarter or fit two repair sections? Replacing the panel looks to be quite simple but I could be wrong.

Any ideas? Maybe from someone whos fitted a full rear quarter (hint hint tom B) )

Thanks in advance.

Tom Fenton

Pictures will help, but I will say that replacing a entire rear quarter is a LOT I repeat a L-O-T of work and not to be undertaken lightly.

Dan Ingram

Ok ta I'll take some pics tomorrow :)

Dan Ingram

Heres some pics

DSC01377.jpg

DSC01378-1.jpg

DSC01379.jpg

The sill is solid. There is a bit of surface rust but its not rotten. Just the panel itself that has rotted away.

dale205mills

Why do all the h reg 205's have quarter panel problems, I had a 1.9 and you could grab hold of the quarter panel at the bottom and pull it away from the car, bit strange

Tom Fenton

I wouldn't do a quarter just for that. The bit above the rear bumper can easily be repaired by cutting out the bad and then butt welding in some new metal. Same goes for the rotten patch above the sill line. The trailing edge of the sill has gone frilly just like the white car I repaired, I made up a new return and then welded it in place.

Dan Ingram

The rear quarter must be a complete bastard then if thats easier :lol: . How long did it take you to do the rear quarter and whats the difficulty with it?

Tom Fenton

Days and very.

PVFCpug

Mine is on an F plate and suffered the same problems. Ended up with sills you could put a pencil through. I ended up having new complete sills, and new metal put in from the trim line to the sill on the quarters.

craig f90
I wouldn't do a quarter just for that. The bit above the rear bumper can easily be repaired by cutting out the bad and then butt welding in some new metal. Same goes for the rotten patch above the sill line. The trailing edge of the sill has gone frilly just like the white car I repaired, I made up a new return and then welded it in place.

I agree with Tom on this Dan.

It really would be simpler and quicker and alot cheaper to repair the areas than fit a rear 1/4 panel. as he says it is a time consuming job (Ive done a few 205s) By the time you've un stitched the panel, cleaned the metal, lined the panel up, bonded, welded, filled, prepped and painted it. A couple or few of full days have flown by and then theres the cost of the panel and materials.

Dan Ingram

Ok thanks, just wanted to make sure it was a complete bastard before I go and try it. Repairing the panel it is then. Cars coming off the road over winter while I get moved in to my new house so I'll get it done then if theres anything left of it :lol:

Sign in to follow this