• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dj_mini

Diff Settings

Dj_mini

Im hoping some one can advise iv got a tranx diff in my box thats has been fine so far at places like combe and landow but iv recentlty done a day at keevil where they had two very tight 180deg bends i found them so hard to get round as the diff was fighting me as the corners were quite slow. What way should i adjust the diff to help reduce this? Iv no idea what the ramp angles are set at as i bought it second hand im just unsure what way to adjust it?

Thanks Dan

GTI6BOY

you got lsd oil in the box or normal oil?

eeyore

Sounds like you've got a bit to much pre load Dan

James_R

Give TransX a ring, perfectly friendly and if you say how it looks ot be set up now they'll be able to advise you what do to sort it.

RonnieG

I did a bit of research with Tran-X a couple of months ago when I bought my two Tran-X diffs as I couldn't find the basic script on them that easily but basically Tran-X Peugeot gearbox diffs have 4 different settings going from the lightest to the heaviest. The preload is adjustable by moving the internal axles between a 45/45 ramp angle setting and a 60/30 setting where under acceleration the axles can go up the 30 degree ramp easier thus increasing the preload which is really just the diffs resistance to allow one wheel to spin faster than the other. The ramps are located on two 'cups' facing each other inside the diff housing - easy to see and understand when you dismantle the diff. The other adjustable setting is the plate setup - There are approx 10 internal plates, 6 of these are driven by the diff housing/crownwheel and the other 4 provide the drive to the driveshafts. If these are set up in 'pairs' that is considered the lightened setting and provides approx 25lb/ft of torque of resistance of one wheel turning more than the other and if the plates are setup in a way that has the first plate then the second then the first then the second again etc this is considered the fully interlevered setup and provides approx 65lb/ft of torque/resistance.

The lightest setting is the 45/45 ramp angles/preload with the plates in the lightened format, next setting is the 30/60 ramp angles with lightened plates setting, next is the fully interlevered plate setting with 45/45 ramp angles and the heaviest setting is the 30/60 ramp angles with the fully interlevered plate setup.

It does seem as though your Tran-X is running one of the heavier settings but unfortunately you'll need to remove the diff from the car to see/ adjust the settings. Ideally you want to remove the diff, carefully dismantle it, which isn't that difficult - Just note what goes where when you dismantle, to check the settings and examine for wear while you have it out. Easy too at any time discuss your application with Tran-X and they'll give you recommendations - Tran-X are great to deal with...

Edited by RonnieG

philfingers

i'd go lightweight 25/30lbs with 45/45 ramps. Anymore on tarmac and it will be a handful. Are you running PAS?

If you run 30/60 (or 60/30 can't remember which way round they are) the chances are you'll not turn into corners in the wet,

Phil

Dj_mini
Sounds like you've got a bit to much pre load Dan

Hi colin

Would u mind having a look at it when i come down to get my engine off sandy?

i'd go lightweight 25/30lbs with 45/45 ramps. Anymore on tarmac and it will be a handful. Are you running PAS?

If you run 30/60 (or 60/30 can't remember which way round they are) the chances are you'll not turn into corners in the wet,

Phil

No im not running pas that why i think strugling on slow tight corners at the mo hi speed corners are great it works a treat.

Sign in to follow this