• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

Fitting A Trans-x Differential

Alan_M

I'm hoping to fit my transx diff today or tomorrow and on the instructions it mentions 'endplate needs to be torqued to 35/40Ib.ft'.

Where's the endplate, or does this only apply if you have stripped the diff itself to change angles for example?

Do I need to use loctite on the Ford crown wheel bolts?

Edited by Alan_M

James_R

Yeah only if you strip the diff that's done for you if you're just installing it.

Yes loctie the Crown wheel bolts in, before you do, check the diff will spin freely as the casing catches the diff and need releaving a bit.

RonnieG

Agree with JamesR here - Both the Tran-X diffs I have installed in my 205's over the past couple of months have required small places in the gearbox housing 'dremelled' in order for the diff to rotate cleanly.

I ended up placing the diff in the gearbox only i.e. without the diff cover on and repeating the procedure a few times of - Rotate, note where fouling then dremel then going through the same procedure again until the diff rotates cleanly. I then lightly bolted on the cover and did the same rotating again although I never had to mod either of the covers at all.

Then as said use some loctite, put your crownwheel on & put it all together.

Obviously worth checking just now before you install you've got the plate setup & ramp angles exactly the way you want them….

Alan_M

Thanks...

I think its been setup for a 45/45 angle for now, there are 4 active surfaces.

The info also mentions the removal of material from the diff casing too, its got a picture of whereabouts the dremeling needs to be done.

Last question on this, should a certain type of gearbox oil be used, or is the normal 75/80 stuff OK?

RonnieG

I use the Total bv 75w80 gearbox oil with both of my Tran-X diffs which is approx £4 a litre direct from Peugeot - You need just under 2 Litres so £8 isn't bad.

The main point I seem to remember when I researched which gearbox oil to use was to really avoid fully synthetic gear oils with LSD's and stick with mineral oils. Don't know if yours is brand new or not but as one of mine was brand new I 'ran mine in' using the technique covered in the KAAZ website - Not sure how much difference it will make but it does seem a good way of bedding them in and trying to get all the gearbox oil through them before putting the diff/plates under load.

The settings you are using look the lightest of their 4 possible settings and a good place to start - I think they are great diffs & you won't be dissappointed…...

VisaGTi16v

I had to grind a bit of ribbing away to fit my quaife. I am doing an auto solo in a friends mk2 Golf in a couple of weeks with a tranx fitted, looking forward to comparing them as im convinced my quaife is nearly useless. Full box rebuild to fit in a Golf though as something has to bolt on from inside the box, cant just pop the diff housing off like with our superior french ones! :ph34r:

Alan_M
I use the Total bv 75w80 gearbox oil with both of my Tran-X diffs which is approx £4 a litre direct from Peugeot - You need just under 2 Litres so £8 isn't bad.

The main point I seem to remember when I researched which gearbox oil to use was to really avoid fully synthetic gear oils with LSD's and stick with mineral oils. Don't know if yours is brand new or not but as one of mine was brand new I 'ran mine in' using the technique covered in the KAAZ website - Not sure how much difference it will make but it does seem a good way of bedding them in and trying to get all the gearbox oil through them before putting the diff/plates under load.

The settings you are using look the lightest of their 4 possible settings and a good place to start - I think they are great diffs & you won't be dissappointed…...

Yeah, mines brand new. Had it for a year now sitting in its box.......

Can't see the running-in procedure doing any harm, I mean the first real test for it will be the 'Ring (hopefully) so would it all 'bedded-in' for that. Better use the old Asda carpark for it though :ph34r:

As for the settings, I'll be fitting my new 2.5 quickrack also, so don't want a harsh ramp with a quick manual rack to begin with.

Sign in to follow this