• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pee vee

Emerald Tacho Driver Trouble

pee vee

Got my car up and running on Emerald fine..

Spent the £38 on the tacho driver to make the rev counter work again... which it did!

for about 40 mins.... now totally dead. checked the wires for it all.. the wiring from ecu is obviously all brand new..

rev counter is now dead....

anyone else had any troubles with emerald tacho driver going wrong? :)

Bonzai

i had Mikey G build me one for a fraction of the cost :) (sorry!)

pee vee

yeah after seeing what arrived in the post. i wish i'd just got a couple of diodes from maplin and taken feeds off the coil pack

to drive it lol..

bloody cars.

any ideas how yours is done mate?

Daz_C

I'm having trouble with mine too :) Although it may possibly be the rev counter, my rev counter under reads by a fair few thousand revs at the top. Dave noticed on the rollers and as I was running my engine in before then I thought it was good of me to keep it at low revs :o At around 6500rpm on the laptop my rev counter read 4000ish :)

Not had chance to try another rev counter as of yet and the driver was second hand so I can't say where the issue is yet.

Maybe someone on here will offer to make my Rev Counter work without using a tacho driver ? Graham where are you ??? :)

Pee Vee - Have you turned the driver on in the Emerald software ?

pee vee
I'm having trouble with mine too :) Although it may possibly be the rev counter, my rev counter under reads by a fair few thousand revs at the top. Dave noticed on the rollers and as I was running my engine in before then I thought it was good of me to keep it at low revs :o At around 6500rpm on the laptop my rev counter read 4000ish :)

Not had chance to try another rev counter as of yet and the driver was second hand so I can't say where the issue is yet.

Maybe someone on here will offer to make my Rev Counter work without using a tacho driver ? Graham where are you ??? :)

Pee Vee - Have you turned the driver on in the Emerald software ?

Hi mate. yeah the driver is on.. the rev counter was working fine.. and as i was going along the road this morning, it simply died!

now, nothing!

checked all connections and it all seems fine.. 12v switched live is ok.. earth is ok,. pin 12 on ecu is connected fine..

bit annoying really.

might have a better look tomorrow if i can.. but cant see that the cars rev counter would suddenly stop working??

Daz_C
Hi mate. yeah the driver is on.. the rev counter was working fine.. and as i was going along the road this morning, it simply died!

Sorry mate didn't read your post properly :o Yeah odd one that. i may have a look at mine tomorrow aswell....................................... but I doubt it :)

pee vee

righty, just been out and done some more digging about

i have 6.3 (ish) volts at the wire feeding the rev counter, when the engine is running at idle... so it shows that the tacho driver is doing something..

but what should i be seeing? i'm assuming this is right, meaning my rev counter has suddenly died? :)

i always thought the rev counters worked off an earth too :S lol

any ideas guys?

thanks again

pug_ham

As standard the rev counter works off a positive (possibly 12 as its direct from the fusebox), earth & signal.

It isn't something simple like fuse #1 has blown which controls the rev counter & a few other dash lights iirc.

Graham.

pee vee

sadly not :blink: checked the fuses in the glove box.. all are ok, there aint any other fuses about that it could be are there :S

pug_ham

No, thats the only fuse that covers the rev counter afaik.

Its not just a broken / loose connection on the conversion box is it?

Graham.

pee vee

tried another set of clocks today... rev counter didnt work on that either.

so i made a circuit from one side of the coil pack to the rev counter feed, and

the rev counter does work, but reads 1/2 speed. (give or take a bit lol)

so I can only assume that it is the tacho driver that is at fault. ?

will send it back and see what they say.

saveloy

the first one I had died. The 2nd and current one played about a bit - it stopped working briefly. But it's been fine now for years.

James_R

Why not just buy a accurate undamped "race" tacho?? and fit in the dash, would save the whole hassle, and actually read the right revs unlike std ones which are a bit of a gamble, and actually keep up with the revs when you go through the gears, had one in my nova after the new engine rev'd passed where the std one would read, found it was about 500rpm high by 7k (actually 6.5k) since then always been a must do on any trackcar of mine

Like this(ingore the speedo bit, the rev gauge 80mm just fits in looks pretty tidy;

post-6092-1217589696_thumb.jpg

saveloy

James, I'm sorry mate, and I know I risk upsetting you, but that's bloody orrible man.

James_R

It's cool, open to that, if you ignore the speedo/oil pressure bit just the tacho with the normal speedo looks fairly OE.

I agree the rest looks a tad heaf robinson, but it's damn effective, I'll eventually bring the car to the peasoup meet and you can have a gander, least I can hit you when you're mean :)B)

saveloy

Hey, I look forward to your appearance.

As a token of my apeasement, if I puke on your dash I'll happily clean it up for you.

James_R

I'd rather you aimed out the window though, don't like the idea of it cooking on the exhaust tunnel ;)

Or starve yourself the day before :D

pee vee

it may very well end up going the same way as yours mate!

pee vee

Sent the driver back to Emerald, and they said that it had failed. so replaced it on warrenty, no questions asked.

new one arrived and is wired in and appears to work fine at the mo!

so yea. they can and do fail.

Karl@emerald sent an e-mail saying that if it happens again then it could well be a fault with the car, but its all wired as to their instructions,

so cant see that it is.. just hope this one lasts !!

Bas

The Citroen BX TZi Tacho works fine on a standard Gti 6/205 1.9 loom!

Don't know if it works with emerald..

Sign in to follow this