• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Spiky

Omp Strut Braces Ok?

Spiky

and is there any point getting a lower one?

reading some posts on here, it dont seem like

pug_ham

I've got a lower one on my car & when I got the suspension geometry set up properly (not by a kwikfit type monkey) by Phoenix Motorsports in Accrington he said they were a very good addition.

Horses for courses but it doesn make some difference to the rigidity of the front subframe so the choice is yours.

Graham.

Tom Fenton

I bought a lower brace off here a while ago as it always seemed a good idea, from looking at it and the standard subframe I personally don't think it is stiff enough to add anything, I'm going to fit it at some point to see if it makes any difference, I doubt it will personally.

The upper strut braces definitely DO make a worthwhile difference.

Rippthrough
I bought a lower brace off here a while ago as it always seemed a good idea, from looking at it and the standard subframe I personally don't think it is stiff enough to add anything, I'm going to fit it at some point to see if it makes any difference, I doubt it will personally.

The upper strut braces definitely DO make a worthwhile difference.

Bring it up next month and I'll sort you a proper one if you want, need a 205 to make the jig up from anyway.

Toddy
and is there any point getting a lower one?

reading some posts on here, it dont seem like

Didn't fit on mine as it would not clear the '6' sump.

Tom Fenton
Bring it up next month and I'll sort you a proper one if you want, need a 205 to make the jig up from anyway.

Sounds good to me. I've also got a complete front subframe (205) off a car if you want to measure that up.

Dan Ingram

I have upper and lower ones on mine. The upper one makes a bigger difference. Though the lower one has saved the sump a couple of times :blink:

Rippthrough
Sounds good to me. I've also got a complete front subframe (205) off a car if you want to measure that up.

Ideal, lets me get and accurate mounting measurement, then we'll just need the car to check exhaust clearance, cheers Tom

:blink:

pug_ham
Ideal, lets me get and accurate mounting measurement, then we'll just need the car to check exhaust clearance, cheers Tom

The exhaust shouldn't be anywhere near the lower brace, it runs behind the subframe between the bulkhead on the GTi.

Graham.

paul_portsmouth

any idea y when i tried to fit mine i couldnt get the socket out and it was resting on the sump and buzzed as i drove off took a good hour to get it off again

this is how it looked fitted

Picture1411.jpg

Edited by paul_portsmouth

Dan Ingram

Its easier to fit if you lift the engine up a bit. Stops the sump getting in the way.

projectpug

I found the car totally different on track after fitting the lower strut brace and top one at the same time. Must be worth ago at the price and you could always resell it if you didn't like it.

Spiky

well i bought a upper one,

but not getting a lower one as people with gti6 sumps/engines are having issues, so i may just make my own, or not bother with the lower one

paul_portsmouth

i got mine on and done up tight but it buzzed against the sump has anyones else had this or found a cure?

welshpug

quite a common problem for the OMP one not fitting as intended, give it a few weeks (and chocolate hobnobs) and I'm sure Phill will have some decent ones made up, the 306 ones have sold well :P

Rippthrough
quite a common problem for the OMP one not fitting as intended, give it a few weeks (and chocolate hobnobs) and I'm sure Phill will have some decent ones made up, the 306 ones have sold well :P

I can't make the things fast enough!

paul_portsmouth

what sort of price would u be lookin at for a 205 one?

Spiky

i bought one on ebay sat for 50quid.

came today :blink:

paul_portsmouth

not an omp one lol i have one of them it doesnt fit

Spiky

it is

and i put it over the bolts and it's fine :lol:

maybe your car is out of shape :blink:

pug_ham
it is

and i put it over the bolts and it's fine :D

maybe your car is out of shape :ph34r:

£50 for a lower strut brace? I take it you mean the upper one Spiky judging by your earlier reply?

The lower ones are around £30 iirc.

Graham.

Spiky

sorry yes the upper one,

i didnt buy the lower one as people say they dont fit the gti6

robin_jacobs

Try to buy a lower strut brace from Wiechers, it's got a extra mounting point for installation on the subframe. It's better than a Omp one.

If you want i can take a picture from underneath the car...

Greetz, Robin

marksorrento205

A little off the subject sorry, but do all omp upper braces foul the bonnet (non auto)? Also any joy with a decent lower brace?

Edited by marksorrento205

paul_portsmouth

mine doesnt foul on the top

and has anyone any more clues on the lower one?

Sign in to follow this