• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gerlewislewis

Removing Arial/fitting A Soft Rack For Surfing

gerlewislewis

Hi Guys,

does the standard arial screw off or anything? I want to fit a softrack for my surfboards, but the arial is right in the way of there the boards would sit! - is the remedy to just put the boards to one side?

Cheers

Ger

NeilGTi85
Hi Guys,

does the standard arial screw off or anything? I want to fit a softrack for my surfboards, but the arial is right in the way of there the boards would sit! - is the remedy to just put the boards to one side?

Cheers

Ger

The standard aerial does screw off. Someone has fitted a roof rack previously to my new gti6 205 and there are dents :( costing me a few bob from a dent magicians....

But for boards it'll be ok....just dont over do it and try and do car surfing ;)

Neil

brianthemagical

Yep, just twist. Might be stuck tho but the ariel and mount are only about £5 from pug.

Super Josh

You can also pivot the Aerial up and down. I used to do that on my car to clear my bike rack ;)

Josh

cybernck

try not to rip a part of the roof with it, as the roof skin is not very strong there ;).

McDude

Still leaves a stump though and it would make a mess of a board if combined with a soft rack.

Can you not just mount the board to one side?

Para
try not to rip a part of the roof with it, as the roof skin is not very strong there :(.

That's why the whole car is lighter then golf ;):lol:

gerlewislewis
Can you not just mount the board to one side?

Thats what the seller suggested over the phone - I think I will do that.

Thanks again!

pacey205

gerlewislewis, just out of interest what roof rack are you using and does it fit well?

Michael

pike_1.9cti

watch you dont do it so tight that it cuts into the door seal inside the car!!! Happened on a mates. I use one on my cab, its fine, just push the aerial flat and whack it on in the middle, just dont drive made with it on thats all i say

edit: ps the soft racks dont work well to one side, they have to sit straight on the roof i found

Edited by pike_1.9cti

gerlewislewis

I think the sunroof prevents me putting the ariel flat.

Its a bodyglove one, £23 off ebay, its not arrived yet though.

I will try it tomorrow and let you know!

Thanks for the advice about it not being too tight.

Ger

ChrisG

Yeah let me know how you go on with the rack as my 205 is going to be my surf wagon when I get it on the road.

Thankfully my regular board is a 5'10 fish that fits in the car but I've got longer boards too that'll need a roof rack :blink:

Chris

pike_1.9cti
Yeah let me know how you go on with the rack as my 205 is going to be my surf wagon when I get it on the road.

Thankfully my regular board is a 5'10 fish that fits in the car but I've got longer boards too that'll need a roof rack :blink:

Chris

If you start in the drivers side rear of the boot and go across to the front passenger side you can fit a 6'8 magic carpet in, just!!! lol

gerlewislewis
If you start in the drivers side rear of the boot and go across to the front passenger side you can fit a 6'8 magic carpet in, just!!! lol

didnt think about going diagonal, not sure it would be the best for the motorway?

Right, Ive fitted mine (Body Glove £20 on ebay), and put both boards on it. Initially I put it in the center, but then on a test drive I found the ariel buzzing on the roof, so I think Im going to put it off to one side of the ariel. It seems to secure nice and tightly - my only concern would be the straps rubbing on the rear window rubbers.

Well Im off to west Wales next weekend, i will let you know how I get on.

One thing Ive noticed, you cant open the boot properly or the boards will snap!

Ger

ChrisG

Thats not bad going, if I opened the passenger window then I might be able to get my 9'2 longboard in too :blink:

One thing Ive noticed, you cant open the boot properly or the boards will snap!

Ger

That generally is the thing with hatchbacks, we've got a Leon Cupra R as family car, and I need to load the boot before putting the boards on the roof.

feb

Ger,

I have an original peugeot roof rack for the 205 that is of no use to me. You can then put the aerial under the front roof bar and since it is flexible you can put the boards on top.

Email me if interested. I am back in the UK for a couple of days at the end of this month.

Fivos

P.S. Watch out for wet boards on the car, my dad's Lancia Delta had huge rust holes (you could put your finger in one of them!) caused by the windsurfing boards leaking salty water onto the roof!

Edited by feb

GLPoomobile
P.S. Watch out for wet boards on the car, my dad's Lancia Delta had huge rust holes (you could put your finger in one of them!) caused by the windsurfing boards leaking salty water onto the roof!

I've highlighted the major issue in the above scenario :P

Foltan

hahaha <_<

Sign in to follow this