• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy F

Mi16 Conversion Shopping

Andy F

Hi guys

im just doing some pre shopping before i set off on my first Mi16 coonversion. I have done this type of work before never on anything french. I just wanted to give a basic run down of what im planning and to see if anything seems majorly wrong.

I have used to search function and have gained information but jut trying to digest it all together.

the engine im looking to put in will be a pretty standard 1.9 16V MI16 Alloy block. Ill do some work to it but not going to set the world alight. Then go down the lines of 4 branch manifold & carbs.

here's there things i just wanted to check before starting:

Engine mounts:

1.9 16V fits the same place as existing 16V so just buy uprated mounts?

Water pump & oil pump:

Nothing strange here, presumably a different arangement of pipework?

flywheel clutch gearbox:

gonna go down the line of the 1.9 8v box with the crown wheel & pinion that miles does with quiafe diff. presumably an uprated 8v clutch will be ok?

inlet for carbs:

seen the longman one seems quite popular but also read something about the qep one being the best. A little help with which one to get? i guess i will be going down the line of weber 45's

dizzy adapter:

seems like every man and his dog sells these? bit of advise on which one would be ideal. Im trying my hardest to avoid going down the mappable route unless anyone can persuade me otherwise

loom:

few people do looms for the simple non ecu carb conversion but any recommended companies?

fuel pump:

facet red top seems the general way to go? with a filter king reg?

drive shafts:

since i will be using the standard box in same position standard shafts will be ok as long as in good knick?

exhaust manifold:

i dont really want to go down the line of this tilting so there's a few modified manifolds about again recommendations?

Radiator:

was looking at the shortended radtec one any experiences?

Thanks to anyone who is willing to help.

Apologies to anyone ive bored

Miles

To sum it up, if your sticking the engine in std first then you need to use the Mi16 loom as the 8v one is rubbish and you'll loose some power.

Inlet manifolds is really either the Jenvy one (Badged Longman sometimes) And sold by various companies inc QEP and me, I know QEP add a vacume take off if your using a servo.

All the other parts really depend on if your going to use the Mi16 ECU etc.

The exhaust manifolds again I supply which I get made up for me, If your at Pugfest this Sunday I've got some offer's on

But if you do use Carb's then the Red Top is a must as it's allot safer than using the std pump due to the pressure differances.

Worth having a look in the project section as there's loads of pic's and info, Maybe too much but it will be a great help for you

Andy F

ok thanks for he reply miles

ill have a glance through the pages see what else i can find, i wasnt going to go down the line of the mi16 ecu, was just gonna run the carbs like the conversion in the articles section. I will be at pugfest deffo interested in some deals

Sign in to follow this