• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

Gti6 Water Temp Sensors

M@tt

right i should almost be in a position tonight to strart the gti6 up once i've sorteda few wires but i've got a quick question over the water temp sensors. On my engine i have 3 sensors in teh the thermostat housing

1 x blue

1 x gree

1 x maroon

now looking on service box it only lists 2 sensors in the housing (see pic) and thats a blue and a maroon

hf13e92a.jpg

as far as i can tell the blue is the actual temperature gauge (ie makes teh needle go up and down) and the maroon is the ECU sensor which helps affect fuelling etc.

So what on earth is the green one for? is it like on the 8v where its a seperate warning light switch? if so whys it not listed??

also the blue temp sensor on the gti6 has 2 wires where as the 205 loom only has 1, this is because the 205 sensor used to earth to the block so i assume that if i use the 306 sensor i just need to connect one of the wires from it to an earth and the other to the 205 wire going to the display

cheers

Matt

Matt Holley

I think the other sensor is to do with the air con.

Im sure I only connected one of the wires to my gauge, the only one I remember putting to earth was the oil temp. I will go and have a look in a bit.

Edited by matt holley

Alastairh

Green is ECU temp. The other 2 i manually checked by the gauges when powered up.

Al

M@tt

Al

sorry mate not quite sure what you mean, you saying ones the gauge and the other is the warning light? did you have to earth one of the wires and connect the other up to the loom as these 306 sensors have 2 wires not 1 like the 205

whizzer71
Al

sorry mate not quite sure what you mean, you saying ones the gauge and the other is the warning light? did you have to earth one of the wires and connect the other up to the loom as these 306 sensors have 2 wires not 1 like the 205

Keep the green one for the Ecu ,Take the other two out and launch them and substitute them with your original 205 ones au voila ! temp guage and light

Matt Holley

I just checked and my blue sender only has one pin so no need to earth it, if the plug does have two wires just find which one is actually conected to the sender and connect that one to the gauge.

returnofjim
Keep the green one for the Ecu ,Take the other two out and launch them and substitute them with your original 205 ones au voila ! temp guage and light

Im sure i told u this a few weeks back matt, green is ecu temp sensor, blue is for the 306 gauge and the brow/maroon one is for the 306 fans! As said lob the brown and blue one in the bin and use 205 ones for your gauges.

M@tt

nice one

anyone got any spare 205 ones?

Alastairh

Just incase you haven't noticed yet, but do you have an oil temp sensor sorted?

Al

Alastairh
Im sure i told u this a few weeks back matt, green is ecu temp sensor, blue is for the 306 gauge and the brow/maroon one is for the 306 fans! As said lob the brown and blue one in the bin and use 205 ones for your gauges.

Its been a while since i done one of these. But if the brown one is for the rans, what does the rad switch in the rad do?

But yeah, if the thread is the same (which it should be) just wack 205 ones in there.

Al

M@tt

yeah i think so, well i'm pretty sure i've found the wire for it,(left my wiring notes at home) the oil temp sensor is in the sump though isn't it?

welshpug

Brown is called the Bitron Sensor, its part of the Fan control system as some functions of the fans are controlled dependent upon the A/C inputs.

The rad in a 306 does not have a temperature sensor in it, the 405 runs exactly the same setup if they have A/C.

Green as mentioned is ECU temp, Blue is for the gauge and warning light.

Oil temp is on the front of the sump, it varied whether they were fitted or not, I'm unsure if the sensor works on the same parameters as the Original.

Edited by welshpug

returnofjim
yeah i think so, well i'm pretty sure i've found the wire for it,(left my wiring notes at home) the oil temp sensor is in the sump though isn't it?

You would be best off using a 205 oil temp gauge sender too. The oil temp sender is in the sump, its a 2 pin connector but only 1 pin is used in the 306.

maxi
Its been a while since i done one of these. But if the brown one is for the rans, what does the rad switch in the rad do?

But yeah, if the thread is the same (which it should be) just wack 205 ones in there.

Al

Your getting yourself a bit confused here mate. A 306 dosent have a sensor in the rad, thats a 205 your thinking of.

Brown - Fans

Green - ECU

Blue - Gague and warning light

As has been said, dump the brown and blue sensors, replacing them with the 205 items.

Maxi

Paintguy
As has been said, dump the brown and blue sensors, replacing them with the 205 items.

That might be a problem as I'm sure they went with the old engine.

Maybe his turbo lump can yield something suitable, or I can see him robbing bits off mine tonight just to get it running! :)

jonnie205

i have always used the gti6 temp gauge sensor. it only has one wire in the plug coming off it and that goes to the gauge

M@tt

cheers for the info chaps,

the 306 sensor on mine has 2 wires coming off it and i found that one of the wires did make the guage work as expected but i'm not sure if it calibrated the same as a 8v one although jim reckoned it was about right on the guage when the fan kicked in so it could be spot on. I'm not sure whether connecing up the other wire to the warning light wire on the 205 loom will work or not as obviously the engine was running at normal temp so it was hard to test that feature, i've hopefully got some 8v sensors coming courtesy of a kind sole of here so i'll just fit them instead.

Super Josh
You would be best off using a 205 oil temp gauge sender too. The oil temp sender is in the sump, its a 2 pin connector but only 1 pin is used in the 306.

Matt if you want to use a 205 Jaeger Oil Temp sender then see this thread here Here are the part numbers anyway

M14 Sender 0242.81

Washer 0313.27

About 16 quid

Josh

Sign in to follow this