• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jamiej

Horn Wiring 205 Gti

jamiej

I have just purchased a new horn for my car, went for the nautilus, its madly loud !! recommend it !!

anyway, how do i go about wiing it in, my current horn is bust, this is the reason for the change, its getting power but the noise that its making is very baffled and sounds really bad.

So, with that in mind, i have a couple of questions.

Do i need a new live feed (from the battery) and if so, what in line fuse do i need (would 20A be realistic)

What are the original horn connection like, is it a spade connector, like the newer type horns.

Is there currently a relay in the circuit for the original horn.

I guess is the answers to these questions are No, Yes, Yes, then i assume i can simply exchange my old horn for the new one without any new wiring ?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Also, as an aside, can anyone recommend a mounting point for the Nautilus, im sure many of you on here have got the same horn !!

Thanks

Jamie

i meant 205 (not 105) ... obviously !!

Edited by jamiej

jackherer

My nautilus is mounted to the front bumper bracket like the standard horn.

If you have a 1.9 with air horns as standard then there should be a second relay by the expansion tank (the first one is for the driving lights) in which case you can just plug the Nautilus in like the standard horn, otherwise follow the instructions to wire in the relay thats in the packet.

jamiej

Sorry to sound a bit like an idiot, but how can i tell what sort of horn i have. If the air horn was standard then i imagine (by the state of the car) then its still got the standard air horn. although its not working.

Where is the horn situated/where are the horns situated and how do i get to them, sorry for the rush, but i really want to get a loom made up at work before i leave.

Are the horn connections (for the stanard one) spade connectors or is there a plug connection.

Many thanks

Jamie

jackherer

I think the airhorn was standard for 1.9s.

Take the passenger headlight out and you'll find the horn there, if its got a separate air compressor then they are airhorns. If you're not sure just add the Stebel Nautilus' relay according to their instructions as it can't do any harm.

Its been a long time but I think the standard horn does have spade connectors.

jamiej

Turns out i do have the standard air horn but its just FUBAR ...

so just clipped the spades on and HEY PRESTO, nautilus is working !!

My second question is how have you mounted it, have you done some fabrication to get it to fit, i think i may need to drill a hole. also, this is the most embarassing thing ... i cant work out the fixing on the horn, whats the black block for, where does the screw go yadda yadda, an engineer who cant work out a simple fitting, please be gentle !!

jackherer

I couldn't remember how I mounted it as it was years ago but then I remembered my pugs in pieces at the moment so I went and had a look (photo'd it too). It seems I had to add a bracket to hold it, I guess its a bit tight.

The photo isn't great as I just used my phone, what you are looking at is a bit of bent metal :(

post-3-1214932771_thumb.jpg

jamiej

Thanks Jack, thats great, i'll be fitting my tommorow

Jamie

r.u.sure

Must order one of these, my current horn sounds rubbish ;)

Just as a matter of interest are you using the 'standard nautilus' or the 'compact' or doesn't it really matter.

Thanks

Dave

jackherer

My one is the standard one I would imagine, its the only one that was produced when I bought it.

r.u.sure

OK thanks for that, will get on and order one.

:wacko:B)

Sign in to follow this