• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
daza4

Kms Ignition Only Ecu

daza4

As above really is anyone using the KMS ignition only ecu for their 205??

I am running a coil pack and twin 45 webers.

I have been trying to fit it over the weekend and have come up a few issues regarding the wiring.

Sandy

What are the issues?

daza4

I am trying to fathom the wiring diagram!!

KMSwiringDiagram.jpg

What I am a little confused about is where the tacho readout comes from so I can still use the original 205 rev counter.

What do you recommend to use for the crank sensor? is there a particular car I could get one from or a part number?? I have a crank sensor from a 306 but it has three wires and not the two the ECU seems to have. I seem to remember a fiat of some kind using a 2 wire Crank sensor. I am using my 36-1 toothed wheel and sensor holder as I used to run a weber Alpha system but that is now been removed for something that can be programmed!

on the wiring diagram what is the "Krukas opnemer" ?

I am using the DIS coil (the one from a 106 it is the coil on the left of the wiring diagram) What are the "bob 1,2,3," positions? I take I don't use the other coil connections as I am using a different style of coil.

With regards to the mounting of the TPS I have the ali bracket and the TPS but nothing else, I had a look at a club members gti6 engined 205 (Matt Holley) last night and he said he you fitted the DTA version of Ignition. He had a neat looking addition on the end of the spindle on the carbs that went into the TPS like a mounting dowel, made of brass. Are these specially made or are they supposed to be part of the kit?

The weber alpha also had a feed for the fuel pump aswell, looking at the wiring there doesnt seem to be the same for the KMS. I am guessing that I will need to power the fuel pump seperately again.

Anything else I should check before getting in there!!!

Thank you for your time

welshpug

Krukas opnemer = crank sensor ;)

No 7, RPM Teller, would be a Digital RPM output, you may be able to adapt your original tacho to work with this signal, how did you get RPM signal with the Weber Alpha system?

Edited by welshpug

daza4
Krukas opnemer = crank sensor ;)

No 7, RPM Teller, would be a Digital RPM output, you may be able to adapt your original tacho to work with this signal, how did you get RPM signal with the Weber Alpha system?

There was a lead that connected to one of the coil leads and the rev counter worked!!! So no need for anything else.

Sandy

Are you sure you've got the right diagram? Matt had bought a KMS ignition ECU originally and there was much confusion as I recall about which diagram should be used.

IIRC, the early KMS ignition ECU could only drive an external amp or amplified coil, the newer type had amplified and non-amplified outputs. The diagram you have there I think is for the earlier type. The 106 etc coilpack isn't amplified. Bob is almost certainly short for Bobine, meaning coil (as in bobbin).

I don't think the KMS has the fuel pump control. You could wire up a 205 tachymetric relay on the tacho circuit to control the pump or fit an inertia switch.

Matt Holley

Yes I had loads of fun with that B) even the disc I was sent had the old diagram on it.

This is a pic of the newer ecu although I know darrens ecu is second hand so could be the older one

205magnex009.jpg

If yours is the same as that a diagram can be got from the kms web site and is easier to use imo to the old one, although I still buggered mine up :wacko:

daza4

No mine must be the older type then as it has the aluminum casing.

I will take a picture and post it up.

Its really strange you say the wiring diagram is wrong as I have all the same wires and colours as it says in the diagram.

Will check the serial number and see when it was manufacturered.

Thanks for the help guys.

Daza

Matt Holley

If you have the older ecu then the diagram you posted will be right, I was sent that diagram with a new ecu which led to much confusion till I found out I had the wrong diagram ;)

daza4

Yes I spent some time today marking all the wires up and they are all matching according to the wiring diagram that I posted up.

Sandy got the fuel pump working through the tacho relay so thanks for that!!

At least I am getting somewhere!!

All i need now is a two pin CPS and a 4 Pin socket from a 106 coilpack then I can get it all wired up. and then the trying to start it again comes around.

Thanks for all the help people.

Sandy

Good stuff :blink:

Best really to use a 3 pin CPS and connect Pin1 as signal and Pin 2+3 together as signal ground.

daza4
Good stuff :)

Best really to use a 3 pin CPS and connect Pin1 as signal and Pin 2+3 together as signal ground.

Well I already have a 3 pin cps so I will use that.

Thanks Sandy. I was thinking of using SRD down your way to map the ECU when I have finished wiring it up. Unless you have any other ideas?

Sandy

Sure, it'll be me mapping it if you do.

daza4

Well I think I have it all wired up temporaily but went to plug the ecu plug to my laptop and hit upon another problem.

My laptop doesnt have a nine pin plug that the KMS lead has on it. As it must be a new one as its all USB style now!!!!

Anyone got any ideas???

Edited by daza4

Anthony

Either buy/beg/borrow an old laptop that does have a serial port on it, or you can try a USB-serial converter, but these are often a bit hit-and-miss in my experience.

If you get stuck, I've got a laptop with a serial port on it that you can borrow, and I'm only just up the road in North Swindon.

daza4
Either buy/beg/borrow an old laptop that does have a serial port on it, or you can try a USB-serial converter, but these are often a bit hit-and-miss in my experience.

If you get stuck, I've got a laptop with a serial port on it that you can borrow, and I'm only just up the road in North Swindon.

Thanks for that Anthony.

I have tried a quick search on Ebay for that adaptor, My girlfriends Dad always had laptops so I might be able to get hold of an old one that can be for my car only, otherwise I will try the adaptor. If I get stuck I will PM you.

Thank you very much.

Sign in to follow this