• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Coonper

The Best 14" Tyres?

jackherer
Economy, I've fitted 165/65/14 Falkens on the 205 now, hoping economy would improve, but it hasn't. The 185/60/14 PE2s gave precisely the same economy.

I wonder if the higher profile combined with presumably softer sidewalls means more energy is wasted deforming the tyre on each rotation?

welshpug

I shouldn't imagine so, seeing as the actual side wall is near identical in size (slightly smaller actually!)

Edited by welshpug

Sandy

I wish I'd just bought another set of PE2s now!

Ethos

Michelin Pilot Exalto 2s are £75 a corner from mytyres... seems very steep for the size.

welshpug
Michelin Pilot Exalto 2s are £75 a corner from mytyres... seems very steep for the size.

I wouldn't say so, its just that everyone is used to running budget tyres at half the price.

the same tyre in 205 40 17 is £131 from MyTyres.

Ethos

Hmmm, I guess it's because eagle F1 gs-d3s were £60 each delivered for my octavia vrs (205/55/16).

Going to need 2 front new tyres very soon, need some new on the rear too as the p6000s are so poor.... Got the Avon ZV3s on the front, not a bit fan of them either.

James_R

Dunlop SP01's I had on my last 1.6 and I'd rate them similarly to the PE2's not as good though but close

Project205

Bracknell Tyre & Battery Ltd

Unit, Longshot Lane 1

RG12 1RL Western Industrial Estate, Bracknell

Opening hours: From Monday to Friday 8.30--5.30 hours, Saturday 8.30-1.00 hours

01344 411323

I paid £58 a corner for 14" tyres for my 1.6 GTi.

28CRAIG

I am another one for exalto 2's i dont think i would buy any other tyre after using these.

Ethos

Guys, need to order some tyres tonight / tomorrow morning to replace the nearly bald ZV3s on the front.

I want to go for F1s but can't find anyone that does them apart from mytyres which have a 2 weeks waiting time!

Anyone know any other places to get them, or a tyre for around £50 with excellent dry / wet ability :lol:

28CRAIG

Dunlop SP01's or Michelin Pilot Exalto 2s

I think the Dunlops are about £40 each from blackcircles when i was looking last.

Ethos

Can't see the SP01 in 185 60 14 and the Exalto 2s are £75 which are out of my budget :lol:

Edit; Can get Sp01 on tyretraders. 2 for £81 delivered... very tempting. Anyone else run Sp01s?

Edited by Ethos

28CRAIG

I had them on the back of my 205 and they seem to give loads of grip and the back end would always break away progressively. James R seems to like them and Anthony rated them as well when he had the car I almost got some for 1.6 wheels but went for PE2's in 15's.

Ethos

Cool, thanks mate.

This is hard work.... ;)

Edited by Ethos

Ethos

Bought Eagle F1 GSD-2s in the end, £97 for 2 delivered from my tyres, shows as 2 weeks delivery but apparently they have some in stock!

Leon C

I've used Goodyear Hyragrips on my S2 106 rallye in 185x55 R14 form. Brilliant tyre, gives loads of feedback and brilliant grip in the wet (as the name would suggest!) and almost on par with the F1's in the dry. Bold statement I know, but they are really that good.

I paid £35 per tyre from Black Circles.

Ethos

Anyone had problems getting 14" tyres fitted + balanced due to there being no hole in the centre to balance them?

F1s arrived today so looking to get them fit tomorrow.

Guest cooper205

most big tyre fitters should have the adaptor for the centerless wheels, just ring a few and ask fella

Ethos

No worries, my old man is dropping it into a tyre fitter he knows tomorrow as it needs tracking done as well so hopefully can get it done off the books :)

steve@cornwall
No worries, my old man is dropping it into a tyre fitter he knows tomorrow as it needs tracking done as well so hopefully can get it done off the books :)

If you have problems with the balancing, Steve Andrews tyres at Carvedras in Truro will do them - they actually will strip the balancing machine and fit the correct adapter - and use he proper pug- specific weights! also have 4 wheel alignment tracking, too. It's where I get all my tyre stuff done.

Ethos

Hi mate,

That's where he's taking it. I think he knows a guy there called Dave? Think that's who he said anyhoo. Excellent!

Sign in to follow this