• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest CottesmorePugnut

Rwd 205 Gti Hayabusa Possible Project

Guest CottesmorePugnut

I'm looking at doing a major conversion to a 205 and i'm basically looking to see if anyone has ever tried it with a 205. I've contacted a company called zcars who put Civic Type R and Hayabusa engines in the back of minis and saxos. I don't particularly like these cars and asked them if they could do it to a 205 and they said that it would be no problem.

I'd like to know if people think that it be a good move to combine this conversion with a wide arch dimma or Gutmann kit to create a kind of mid engined RWD T16 replica!!!

Please give me your opinions

welshpug

Certainly something similar has been done, I remember seeing pictures of one at Castle Coombe last year, I know it was RWD but not where the engine was but it was a fairly sizeable bike motor.

GLPoomobile

f*** it, I'd do it if I could! :blink::lol:

I'm a big fan of those ZCars Minis with the K20 engines, and the thought of a 205 version did cross my mind. So if you've got the £ to put in to it, go for it ;)

Guest CottesmorePugnut

The good thing with the busa engine is the numerous turbo kits that are out there, in the long term I could have anything up to 400bhp in an extremely lightweight 205.

My main dilemma is whether to use a standard shell with standard 1.9 gti rims or go for a wide arch kit and big fat dimma rims. Certainly the standard shell would cost a hell of alot less to do

Anulfo

I've seen the hayabusa engine in the 205 before on the sprint circuit and have to say it was very fast!!! There have been one or two for sale in the past in motorsport news etc.

On the subject of bike engines in the 205,someone did a Blackbird engined 205...that too was qiuck!!! I think bike engines make a lot of sense really as they are in a relatively high state of tune as standard,scream up to ridiculous RPM and you should be able to use the bike's sequential gearbox!!! On the downside i imagine its quite a labour intensive job as you are going to be stripping down to the bare shell,establishing RWD and rebuilding the front suspension!!

S13Nick

cost the best part of 8 grand for a hayabusa in a mini non turbo... my friends thinking of doing it

Paintguy

You'd certainly need some kind of forced induction on the engine to make it worthwhile if you're going for the wide arched option. While a bike engine might make a very stripped down 205 quick, I wouldn't expect it to fair well with all the extra weight and drag induced by the kit and wide wheels.

adamc

the dimma kit would make the car heavier as paintguy said! I'm a big fan of zcars but never thought about them and 205's together. Def go for it if you have the £££'s.

Don't forget thou, your hav a cr*p reverse and thats if you decide to fit one!

Goliath

I was going to do a twin busa engined conversion into a 205, so front and rear engined and 4wd, I never went ahead with it though as im going down the v6 route first. I still plan to in the future :D

I think it would suit the 205 really well and would definately be worth it, do it !!!

GLPoomobile

As I said, I'm all for the idea, but just not with a bike engine.

Unless you are stripping it down to circa 800kg, you'd have to work the bike engine really hard on the road to make progress (so I've heard, and common sense would suggest it to be true). If you go down the ZCars route then choose a K20A, which will be plenty rapid enough straight away. If you then choose to fritter away even more £ then superchargers and turbo kits are not exactly in scarce supply for those engines. But the 220 or so bhp you'll get to start off with (that's the figures they quote with the Mini conversion, due to certain bespoke modifications) should certainly be entertaining enough anyway.

benlilly

I remember seeing one for sale some time ago. Found a couple of pics here:

Hyabusa engined 205

Rob Thomson

I've 'competed' against a few RWD bike-engine 205s on tarmac rallies over the years. They're hyper-rapid (ie. the fastest 2WD cars at the events by a mile), drift everywhere, and sound amazing.

Sure, you have to rev them to got the most out of them, but you've still got ~180bhp in a very light car (even with trim) which is going to faster than most things out there.

Pug_Power_Dave

Sounds like a great idea, And you know what else you could do with the busa lump, (well 2 really) if you've heard of powertec!

http://www.powertecracing.com/pdf_downloads/v8engine.pdf

And apparently you can add turbo's or super chargers and take them up to what every power you want!!

Arahan

I always thought that about the Zcars conversions, the saxo one is already established and always thought that it wouldn't take much to modify the saxo parts to fit a 205.

Nathan
Sounds like a great idea, And you know what else you could do with the busa lump, (well 2 really) if you've heard of powertec!

http://www.powertecracing.com/pdf_downloads/v8engine.pdf

And apparently you can add turbo's or super chargers and take them up to what every power you want!!

Only if you've got a blank chq book! Those engines are far from cheap, especially when you can get plenty of other units which produce more power for less money.

I've a 400kg car with a stock busa and its silly quick, but if your dragging more weight around your going to need at least 250 bhp IMO, only ecomomic way to acheive this is with forced induction (ideally a supercharger), otherwise you'll have to be constantly thrashing the nuts off it.

v6Max

What are you thinking of using it for once it's done?

We ran a Radical SR3 Supersport with the bored out Hyabusa engine in it (252bhp) so I've some experience of cars with this engine choice. Any one who tells you that you a) you can make them reliable :) they don't need rebuilding that often and c) the gearbox can easily deal with the weight and grip of a car is telling you "porkies".

Bear in mind, also, that the Radical was "only" 480kg so not exactly heavy, a Hyabusa bike weighs in at 250kg and that's what the engine and gearbox is designed to move around.

I'm not saying don't just saying be mindful that you'll sink money into the conversion and even more into keeping it running:

In the year we owned the car we spent something approaching 12k in running costs alone (3 gearbox rebuilds for example weren't cheap)...

Edited by v6Max

monty69

Id be looking at their saxo kit and seeing if it could be adapted for the 205, the main parts are the cage and suspension, the rest could then be surely knocked together with other parts to save money.

Sign in to follow this