• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JimLad

Arb Drop Link Fouling....

JimLad

ARB drop link fouling on the bolt that attaches the hub to the strut. Will put up a pic later.

Searched the similar posts on here and although people have had similar problems it's been because they've got the strut on the wrong side or the drop link on the wrong side of the strut. Neither of which is the case with mine.

Just bought the car and not exactly sure what has been done to it. The front struts are aftermarket "performance" jobs though I have no idea what brand. Could they have the droplink flange welded in the wrong place?

Cheers

Jim

Jrod

I had the same issue, never did solve it... :lol:

HTH :(

pug_ham

The bolt head should be at the back of the hub nearest the droplink with the nut at the front.

Should clear fine then.

Graham.

Anthony

Assuming that the bolt head is facing the front of the car, and the ARB droplink is fouling on the nut/thread, and you just remove the bolt and turn it around the other way? ie so that the bolt head faces the rear of the car, and the nut/thread towards the front.

Friend had the same issue on his 205, and doing the above "solved" it for him

(I say solved - clearly whatever was amiss that was causing the droplink to be located oddly was still present, but it solved the issue with it fouling against the hub)

mfield
Just bought the car and not exactly sure what has been done to it. The front struts are aftermarket "performance" jobs though I have no idea what brand. Could they have the droplink flange welded in the wrong place?

I've got some aftermarket front struts on mine and they don't have a locating tab on them for the hub, if the strut isn't facing correctly the drop link rubs.

JimLad

Wow, thanks for the fast replies! Can't remember which way round bolt is. Will check after work.

Cheers

Baz
Assuming that the bolt head is facing the front of the car, and the ARB droplink is fouling on the nut/thread, and you just remove the bolt and turn it around the other way? ie so that the bolt head faces the rear of the car, and the nut/thread towards the front.

Friend had the same issue on his 205, and doing the above "solved" it for him

(I say solved - clearly whatever was amiss that was causing the droplink to be located oddly was still present, but it solved the issue with it fouling against the hub)

That it did, but there was still something odd with that car wasn't there... :lol:

JimLad

Had another look and the bolt is the right way round but it's actually the hub it's fouling on. It only seems to foul when the car is jacked up btw.

Thinking about what mfield said I might try undoing the bolt and rotating the strut relative to the hub.

The arb seems very close to the bottom wishbone. Maybe the arb is bent in somehow?

Tried to link some photos. The bracket on the strut for the link looks at an odd angle to me.

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll100/GIBBON78/

Any more thoughts anyone? Sorry to be a pain but don't want to blindly replace loads of parts.

Cheers

welshpug

just had a look at mine, the Droplink is very close on full lock, but the tab on my damper looks to be further round towards the arch than yours.

JimLad

Cheers for that Welshpug, think the strut is just wrongly positioned in the hub. Will have a go at adjusting it.

welshpug

there should be a locating tab or pip that locates in the slot of the clamp, and a shoulder for the strut to butt up against the clamp.

JimLad

Ah, right oh. That's helpful, will have a look. Think they're cheap crappy jobs so maybe they haven't got that. many thanks. :D

Sign in to follow this